Not Dogs

I have two ducks here that need a suitable home. They are around 6 months old, the male is a pekin and the female is a khaki campbell. The female is laying most days. Both are very confident and will run straight up to you and follow you around the garden.

They free range 24/7 and have a dog kennel filled with straw to sleep in.

They need a home because we can't keep them off our decking and out of the house, we have tried everything and nothing has worked. At the moment the poor dogs are stuck playing on the deck and patio because we have to keep the door to the main yard closed.

They are a strongly bonded pair and must stay together.

Can you fence off a duck run around the area where their kennel is? And give them access to the yard for a few hours a day rather than 24/7? They probably don't need to have the run of the yard all the time. Anyway, just an idea.... Maybe you have already tried that.

If you do want to re-home them then you could try advertising them on the online classifieds that is most used in your area. That's what I do when I have pairs of ducks for sale (I breed them) and I interview buyers to make sure I'm happy with the home they can provide. I never have any trouble finding homes I am happy with. I sell my ducks for $60 per pair.

Thanks for the responses. Dogmad I will try them and see if they can help.

I do have a fenced off area I can put them in but they don't like being locked up so they make too much noise, I have good neighbours and I don't want to upset them.

We have tried numerous things to keep them out but they eventually just follow the dogs even if it means flapping and jumping over something.

Even though they are quite confident I think using them for herding would cause too much stress.

Even though they are quite confident I think using them for herding would cause too much stress.

Yes, I think that sounds awful. My ducks would be terrified by this and they live with dogs :(

Good luck finding them a home, they sound gorgeous. Unfortunately I have reached my quota of garden trashing, poo and muddy holes or I would take them - ducks are so much fun! :thumbsup:

Yes, I think that sounds awful. My ducks would be terrified by this and they live with dogs :(

Good luck finding them a home, they sound gorgeous. Unfortunately I have reached my quota of garden trashing, poo and muddy holes or I would take them - ducks are so much fun! :thumbsup:

Using ducks is a pretty done thing in herding. Many people train young dogs on ducks as they move a lot like sheep. I use my ducks for herding and they seem no worse for wear. You just don't let the dogs stress them out.

But I understand that you want these to go to a pet home and hope they get a lovely one :)

Edited by mixeduppup

Yes, I'm aware of that. Having grown up with sheep dogs and ducks, I still feel it would be stressful - particularly if the ducks aren't used to it. Ducks are very much aware that they are a prey animal.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Having grown up with sheep dogs and ducks, I still feel it would be stressful - particularly if the ducks aren't used to it. Ducks are very much aware that they are a prey animal.

True, my ducks have been doing since they were young so kinda just follow the path.

Yes, certainly could work. If it was too heavy for the ducks to push I don't think they make it into the house.

We once had a pair of drakes that'd come into the house. They'd go into the kitchen and look at their own reflection in the oven door and stand there chattering about it. And pooping. So I understand your pain a little bit :)

Here is a picture of the two terrors wandering through the loungeroom while my old dog looks on lol. I have found them on the couch, in the dogs bed, on my sun lounge and they pull the clean washing out of the clothes basket while i'm trying to hang it on the line. We do love having them so hopefully the dog door works.

post-2356-0-10581700-1366440173_thumb.jpg

They sound hilarious :D Ducks are so comical. Great photo.

I really hope the dog door works too :) I don't think ducks would work very hard to push through a sturdy flap. It they can't get their heads in easily they won't bother - that's my guess.

Generally around 8 to 10 years but longer (i.e. the 11 to 12 year range) would not be unusual for a duck kept in good living conditions (clean water, quality food, space to forage in, protection from predators, regular worming treatments). They are generally pretty hardy if well cared for - more so than chickens.