Gate Escaping Staff Puppy

gemsan

Hello everybody.

I have been searching through the topics on here for a couple of days now and have not really found what I need so am hoping someone may be able to help. We are looking for an electric fence system that is required to barricade one section of gate (approximately 3/4 meters). From what I can gather there are numerous types and brands and that to be used effectively there is training to undertake with our boy. Can anyone point me in a direction of where to look / any recommendations / information on training in relation to these systems.

Up to this point we have tried everything possible, I am a stay at home Mum, Tonka walks with me at least once a day if not twice, we commit time during every single day rain hail or shine to training, he plays with my children every afternoon.....99.9% of the time everything is absolutely perfect for us....However there is .1% of the time that Tonka cannot come with me and it is then that no matter what barricade I have under the gate he escapes...as it is a gate I cannot put in place something 'permanent' as we have to be able to drive in and out of the gate. My main concern is Tonka's safety.

Thanks in advance for any help

What type of gate is it ? You may need someone to bolt or weld on a permanent piece to block the bottom . An electric thingy would be very tricky on a gate .

I thought it might be. The issue is to fabricate something to the bottom of the gate permanently it means that the gate will then not open for vehicles to pass due to the house block being on a hill etc etc........such a complicated business for a mere 3 meters of opening....we had a quote for the earth works and new gate to be considered and we are looking at around $15 000...oh well might need to go and butter up Mr Bank Manager. Wonder if he is a dog lover :)

Thanks for your reply

Are you certain he is getting out at the gate? And if so, is he definitely going under? Just asking so you don't go to a bundle of effort to find he's getting out elsewhere!!

And maybe a more cost effective measure than mega-earthworks would be to build a dog run for those times when you're not there. it sounds like he gets to spend heaps of time with you, so a dog run for those times when he can't might be a way to manage the situation.

What about one of those invisible fence systems? The dog wears a special collar and gets a shock if it crosses the line. My friends have one for their dog - they have acreage and stock fencing so they used it to contain the dog to a smaller area of the property - and it works really well for them.

What type of gate is it ? You may need someone to bolt or weld on a permanent piece to block the bottom . An electric thingy would be very tricky on a gate .

I thought it might be. The issue is to fabricate something to the bottom of the gate permanently it means that the gate will then not open for vehicles to pass due to the house block being on a hill etc etc........such a complicated business for a mere 3 meters of opening....we had a quote for the earth works and new gate to be considered and we are looking at around $15 000...oh well might need to go and butter up Mr Bank Manager. Wonder if he is a dog lover :)

Thanks for your reply

Could the gate be opened the other way?

Also could you put in a sliding gate instead?

Could you just hotwire that section off for a while?

If you can't simple put him inside for the short time you're out a kennel & run would be the quickest and easiest.

Thing is, with Staffords especially - once they learn that fences can be breeched they will usually keep doing it so even if you stop him there he will probably turn his attention elsewhere if he has got in to the habit of knowing he can get out if he tries hard enough.

They really need to learn very early on that "all" fences are escape-proof or you are in for a life time of issues - some can can jump/climb/scramble over 8 foot colourbond (yes I have seen it) so not something to encourage!

Those invisible barriers might work, but remember that Staffords are very determined and he might decide a moment's pain is worth the benefit - and once he's through the barrier he has much less incentive to come back through.

What about one of those invisible fence systems? The dog wears a special collar and gets a shock if it crosses the line. My friends have one for their dog - they have acreage and stock fencing so they used it to contain the dog to a smaller area of the property - and it works really well for them.

If the dog wants to get out though they learn to just work through the pain - staffords have a high pain threshold.

Depending on how strong the gate is, could you put something on the bottom but have it hinged?

That way when you open the gate you lift up and secure the barrier, so you can then open the gate.

Of course the hinges would need to be on the inside so your pup couldn't open it!

Hope that makes sense :)

If spending 15000 grand then i would spend it on a good escape proof enclosure which will always be there if required

He also needs to be taught alone time often an area not taught as pups because people think they need more time spent with them .

Thank you so much everyone.

Yep we are thinking that a run might be our option for the moment as I really like the idea of him being outside when I do have to be out. He can be/is sometimes inside but I like that he can lay in the sun or sleep in his bed or smell the trees etc etc :D (Also can't say that I would trust him for too long alone inside....I have seen the damage photos on here)

We do teach him alone time, as I am hoping that I will eventually return to work, he actually isn't too bad if I drive away in the car, but if I walk there is just no keeping him in, although it is absolutely only that gap that he can get through....(other boundaries are >20ft brick retaining walls)

Hubby is now 'researching' dog runs so will see where we end up next. Thanks again everyone

I dont know if this will work or not but just a thought.

Could you get some super think rubber and attach that to the bottom of the gate? That way when you open the gate the rubber will bend to conform to the hill and when the gate is closed it hangs straight down? If it is heavy enough rubber it should offer some resistance so that if he pushes against it to get out it wont just open.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?myfiles#tbnyy3pybrr9pax

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?tbnyy3pybrr9pax

I built this for my 2 amstaffs. Roughly 600 dollars in materials and 2 - 3 weeks part time to construct. Few dyna bolts and mesh joined to stud pine lengths and added a raised kennel at back to sleep an relax. Even if you paid someone it would be significantly cheaper than 15k. You may need to lay some concrete, I was lucky and had a concrete space available. 5m long x 1.2m high x 1.2m depth. They love it and gives me absolute piece of mind when I leave them at home.

Edited by saithroth

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?myfiles#tbnyy3pybrr9pax

I built this for my 2 amstaffs. Roughly 600 dollars in materials and 2 - 3 weeks part time to construct. Few dyna bolts and mesh joined to stud pine lengths and added a raised kennel at back to sleep an relax. Even if you paid someone it would be significantly cheaper than 15k. You may need to lay some concrete, I was lucky and had a concrete space available. 5m long x 1.2m high x 1.2m depth. They love it and gives me absolute piece of mind when I leave them at home.

Is that the right link :confused::confused: