Long Leash

andrewang

Hey guys, any idea where I can find a 50 feet nylon long leash? I tried ebay and amazon but apparently they do not deliver to Australia. No idea why.

I'm having trouble with Caesar's recall outside the house, so I thought I might just give the long leash a try.

Thanks in advance..

or buy one online - for example k9pro.com.au or somewhere like that. They have a good range.

Handy hint - watch out for the line getting tangled around your feet. If your dog runs off and you're not quick enough, you can get a nasty rope burn on your calves. I learnt this the hard way.

Thanks for the info on lunge lead. It did produce alot more results online. The longest k9pro is selling is only 33ft. I'm looking for about 50ft? Is there other websites you guys know about?

Or is 50ft too long? I don't really know what the ideal length should be so I thought the longer the better.

Edited by andrewang

50 Feet is too long IMO. Remember you have to be able to manage the length of lead/ reel it in easily as well as the dog is coming to avoid getting tangled. I am happy to forward our recall program if you send through an email- i prefer this to long lines though they can be useful short term.

Hi, andrewang.

I bought a 33ft long lead and a harness from k9pro for our newly adopted 4yo Mastiff x. We use it when walking in the large dog park nearby. The combo is working really well, and i like it taking any pressure off his neck if he gets a head of steam when playing with his throw toys, etc. It also lets me keep the lead high above him when meeting dogs in the park without it interfering with his body language. This has been good for us to see how he copes with different types of dogs but gives a quick controlled escape. You need to work it a bit like a lunging rope... Feed it out and gather it in as the dog is moving around so there isn't lead trailing too much on the ground. Longer than 33ft would become awkward I think.

We' ve also been using the lead to play hide and seek... One of us hides behind a tree (or bush, hill, sand bunker) and calls... The look on his face as he barrels over at full pelt is priceless! Maybe not formal recall, but has been helping our bonding no end :D

I made my own. :) Has worked very well so far. I bought some "utility rope" (or something similar) from an outdoor & camping store thingy and tied a strong carabiner (using a noose knot) on one end & a loop for me to hold on to the other. Tied a knot every few meters so that I have something to help me shorten it if needed. It's lightweight, easy to bundle up and hang off my treat belt and very strong. :) Cost me about $10 all up and it's almost 50 ft long. I find it to be a good length for my use; I go to big parks and fields etc and so far the only thought about the lenght I've had is that it's a bit too short. :D

Hi, andrewang.

I bought a 33ft long lead and a harness from k9pro for our newly adopted 4yo Mastiff x. We use it when walking in the large dog park nearby. The combo is working really well, and i like it taking any pressure off his neck if he gets a head of steam when playing with his throw toys, etc. It also lets me keep the lead high above him when meeting dogs in the park without it interfering with his body language. This has been good for us to see how he copes with different types of dogs but gives a quick controlled escape. You need to work it a bit like a lunging rope... Feed it out and gather it in as the dog is moving around so there isn't lead trailing too much on the ground. Longer than 33ft would become awkward I think.

We' ve also been using the lead to play hide and seek... One of us hides behind a tree (or bush, hill, sand bunker) and calls... The look on his face as he barrels over at full pelt is priceless! Maybe not formal recall, but has been helping our bonding no end :D

Oh, I just wanted to say I loved the sound of all of this post. New rescue, out & about safely on long line having fun with his new loving owners.

Wonderful for all concerned & thank you :)

Sorry to take this thread "slightly off topic".

Edited by BC Crazy