Seniors In Pounds

Looking through some of the urgent requests and noticed a few oldies over 10 yeas old. The 11 year old lab struck home, It makes me so angry that people dump seniors just because they are old crying.gif.

Just wondering what the statistics are of senior dogs in pounds? Is it such a common occurrence? I suppose they would be hard to rehome, but are there any senior specific rescues?

Not sure of the statistics but there are far too many. Groups take as many as they can but you are often up against it with the costs and then you can only rehome for a small amount as people understandably don't want to pay full price for an old dog very often.

I've rescued quite a few seniors over the years, it's my preference but I can't do it too often because of the costs.

I've got one here at the moment - owner died, family didn't want so I've taken her on. Vet bills $400 which is very reasonable compared to some of the dogs I've rescued but I'll rehome for $200 or like some dogs I've rehomed - for nothing because I've found a wonderful home and that's my aim at the end of the day.

Old dogs are the best, I recommend giving them a chance - if you can't rescue then adopt.

Yep, like Dogmad said there are always plenty of seniors to go around.

I've found them fairly easy to rehome as we seem to get a lot of adopters looking for a dog that will fit easily into their home and doesn't need huge amounts of activity and training.

My latest was a 10yr old Rotty who was blind in one eye and had a suspicious lump removed from her leg. She went within 3wks. I also had a 11yr old Lab X who went after two weeks. She didn't have many teeth left.

I also take puppies who I find very rewarding, but the oldies are just so special.

Oldies are the best. Seeing them come good and be happy little souls is just priceless. :love:

Unfortunately the numbers are overwhelming.

I am sad to say, far too many lately are rescued and 'rehomed' poorly because they are old and expensive to vetwork.

I just rehomed a Skye Terrier girl approx 10 years old, from Queanbeyan Pound from 12 months ago I took her off the site for most of that time as she was diagnosed with a really bad heart murmur and her teeth were really bad, the vet would not operate on her teeth he felt she would die on the table, so we put her on heart medication and she is doing well, walks every day runs around and is having a great time.

I put her back on the site no more than 6 weeks ago and she rehomed 2 weeks ago to a gay male couple who have a Collie/Coolie and a pure Coolie and they all get along, she is a great little girl, the vet has reassessed her teeth and heart and we may do the dental so she can feel a lot better, so keep fingers crossed that she makes it.

I did offer to continue to pay for her meds for the rest of her life. I asked the boys why they contacted me and they said they imagined that the oldies would take longer to rehome, I said actually they go quicker because of the reason they gave me.

Maree

CPR

post-3265-0-68746400-1367071678_thumb.jpg

Edited by keetamouse

I prefer the oldies too, but as Dogmad said, years of neglect often mean they have a huge vet bill first just to get them happy again, ( ears, dental, coat), especially the little ones.

The old ones i have had were very special, they hit you like nothing else, i had a wonderful kelpie x corgi, who lived for less than a year before she died of cancer, and an old bully who was the same.

They leave huge holes in your heart, are often not rehomeable, ( something you don't know till you get them home),and the drain mentally and financially is hard on the rescuer.

I would go oldie everytime without a doubt tho.

I just rehomed a Skye Terrier girl approx 10 years old, from Queanbeyan Pound from 12 months ago I took her off the site for most of that time as she was diagnosed with a really bad heart murmur and her teeth were really bad, the vet would not operate on her teeth he felt she would die on the table, so we put her on heart medication and she is doing well, walks every day runs around and is having a great time.

I put her back on the site no more than 6 weeks ago and she rehomed 2 weeks ago to a gay male couple who have a Collie/Coolie and a pure Coolie and they all get along, she is a great little girl, the vet has reassessed her teeth and heart and we may do the dental so she can feel a lot better, so keep fingers crossed that she makes it.

I did offer to continue to pay for her meds for the rest of her life. I asked the boys why they contacted me and they said they imagined that the oldies would take longer to rehome, I said actually they go quicker because of the reason they gave me.

Maree

CPR

I've rescued oldies with really bad hearts - usually years of dental neglect has brought it on but my rescue vet has successfully operated on their teeth, it's a real problem because many dentists feel it's too risky but without it the dog will continue to be very uncomfortable and have more poisons draining into their already compromised systems so I think I'll always take the chance. The last little dog I'm really thinking of in this regard was 14 and had not been to the vet for 13 years and was in poor shape. I had the dental done, got her on heart meds and had her for a very happy 8 months. I was devastated when I lost her as she'd had such a rotten life with no love, comforts or treatment when needed. However, I'd do the same again!

Edited by dogmad

I've rescued oldies with really bad hearts - usually years of dental neglect has brought it on but my rescue vet has successfully operated on their teeth, it's a real problem because many dentists feel it's too risky but without it the dog will continue to be very uncomfortable and have more poisons draining into their already compromised systems so I think I'll always take the chance. The last little dog I'm really thinking of in this regard was 14 and had not been to the vet for 13 years and was in poor shape. I had the dental done, got her on heart meds and had her for a very happy 8 months. I was devastated when I lost her as she'd had such a rotten life with no love, comforts or treatment when needed. However, I'd do the same again!

Agree. The chance of a remaining life free of dental pain & discomfort.... and a further compromised system.... is the right goal.

The little dog you mentioned did have love, comfort & treatment for 8 months. A dog's life is measured in quality rather than only quantity. Her last breath was within a more comfortable life. We can't do better than giving a dog that.

I guess the whole issue is a societal thing - one would ask the question of how any person could have a dog for 13 years and never take it to a vet for instance. The fact is that the mad, bad and totally insane can have dogs and do what they like with them. Until society values animals as sentient beings and not property or throwaway commodities the heartbreak will continue for those of us who have an ounce of compassion for animals.

I have just re-homed 2 seniors and another is on hold for adoption.

One a Chihuahua female was in very bad shape when first into care back in January . She was anemic and has a heart murmur. She had her desexing and dental 10 days ago. Her teeth were in pretty good condition though only requiring a scale and polish.

All my seniors have found homes through Facebook Very little if any interest from petrescue .

Agree about the expense of taking on seniors . They always need dentals 9 times out of 10 which does deplete the funds rather quickly.

Dogmad your Taz had 8 months of pure bliss . I know her story well and she won the lottery the day you took her from that vile home.

It's an assumption they're being 'dumped' because they are old. In reality unless they are surrendered with the real reason we don't know why they need new homes.

Never had a problem rehoming seniors.

I think there would have to be a factor of seniors no longer being able to care for themselves let alone their senior dogs being part of this situation given our ageing population. We've talked on DOL in General about making arrangements for your dogs if you could no longer care for them. I think a lot of retirees don't do that and not all extended family are animal lovers or able to take on a pet themselves due to renting, etc. There is a lady up here that I sometimes see at jewellery making classes who works with elderly people being admitted to care facilities and she regularly needs to contact one of the rescue groups about rehoming their pets. It is one of the reasons they delay going into a facility for so long and causes them a great deal of distress.

Of course neglected senior dogs ending up in pounds and rescue is another story. It could be an elderly owner who has been incapable of continuing it's proper care due to physical/mental health issues who has slipped through the system's aged care cracks or it could simply be yet another uncaring bastard who should never own a pet.

The oldies just break my heart - it seems so unfair that such a loyal animal can give the majority of his life to an owner, only to end up in a pound.

I realise there are often crappy circumstances, like elderly people moving into nursing homes or passing away and the family don't want the dog (personally think this is a bit heartless) but it has always happened and always will.

The excuses like we are having a baby, getting new carpet etc annoy me immensely.

All we can do is take opportunities to remind people that dogs can and often do live much longer than 10 years - so they are a big commitment.

As a dog lover, I probably hold my boy in much higher esteem than my family would if anything happened to me.

In saying that, the youngest has promised he will look after him forever (and his girlfriend adores Zig as well)..