Light Up Collars/ Attachable Lights Etc

Been looking into different lighting systems over the past few weeks.

Getting my rig prepared for racing. I started thinking it might be cool to see if there were any decent lights that attach directly to the dog and provide some light in front of the dog. :o

So far I've found those light up LED collars (these things) $T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g09m3BRL(LjrLMw~~60_35.JPG

and these clip on thingameebobs

$T2eC16VHJIkE9qU3kIs)BQIdQZYnl!~~60_35.JPG

So a few questions:

1: Does anyone have experience with any of these type of products?

2: Does what I'm looking for exist?

3: Do these lights iritate or otherwise impede the dogs sight?

I wonder how much light would be provided by the collar once it's hidden amongst Esky's fur? :laugh:

I'm no help sorry, EtH. Never used any myself or even seen them being used.

There is a product called a "Rogzlite" by the company "Rogz" or Time Pet Products that make a light like that second photo. They are extremely bright (hubby used our blue one as a torch the other night when we went fishing). And the Rogz ones in particular come in 4 colours (blue, red, pink and clear).

They are currently on promotion at Petbarn and Petstock (until 30/4) free with any lead/collar/harness but normally cost $10-15 depending on the store. They are either clipped on to the collar or they can clip on as well.

I've had those light up collars purchased from Woof Lights in Sydney via their website. Good idea, but they didn't last long at all and I'd bought 4 -- two for Zeus and two for Kirah.

The problem I found is that the LED band didn't keep the collar adjusted to the right size and kept slipping off their necks. They also stopped working after a short amount of time. And they're not at all water resistant.

The Rogz Lites are really good though -- especially now they've replaced the flimsy plastic connector. I've got all four colours and think they're great and they so far seen water resistant.

I have black dogs so seeing them at night is impossible.

We walk quite often in the dark in winter - I just went to Kathmandu and bought head torches on adjustable bands ( the kind you can tilt on the base not just the cheap fixed ones), the dogs wear them as well as their collars, the beam is very bright and can be adjusted height wise. They don't bother my dogs at all, it's hard to tell if it makes much difference to their ability to see, but they did seem to range a bit further afield in off leash areas when wearing them. Linky below.

Kathmandu head torches

Bugger the linky! I want to see a pic of your dogs wearing head torches!cooldance.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

They don't wear them on their heads!!! Round their necks with the light tilted up. ( However you have inspired me to try this now and I promise to post a picture if it works).

We walk quite often in the dark in winter - I just went to Kathmandu and bought head torches on adjustable bands ( the kind you can tilt on the base not just the cheap fixed ones), the dogs wear them as well as their collars, the beam is very bright and can be adjusted height wise. They don't bother my dogs at all, it's hard to tell if it makes much difference to their ability to see, but they did seem to range a bit further afield in off leash areas when wearing them. Linky below.

Kathmandu head torches

:laugh: So going to try this

I bought a small red bone flashing light for my dog from cheapaschips. Don't expect it to last any longer than a flashing Christmas ear ring...

Anyway - I tried to put it on her, flashing.

And she freaked out. I haven't tried again. Not sure it was worth it.

But if I do decide to get one of these I will definitely introduce it to the dog more gently and with lots of treats, and I think I'd try for something that doesn't shine in her eyes. They do notice.

And I should probably wear one myself.

I bought an LED collar from China on eBay for $8 including postage a few years ago. My old Goldie dragged it through the salt water and mud for a year, and my current GSD does the same.

It's still going strong on the original battery :laugh:

Slightly different approach here - I use fluro armbands (also from Kathmandu!) on myself and the dogs harnesses so that if a car is coming from behind us we will be easier to see at night. Mine are fluro green and you push a button and it either flashes a red light or shows a steady red light. I don't tend to use the flashing side of it because my dogs would never be running loose at night. I just use it to be more visible to cars.

This is the newer version of what I have - I got mine very cheap during one of their sales: http://www.kathmandu.com.au/active-armband-light-green-white.html