Advice For A Friend Who's Dog Was Mauled By Another Dog In Canb

My friend lives in Richardson and someone let her two dogs out of the gate. A neighbour found them after a commotion being heard there were two bigger dogs, one staffy and the other a mastif type dog that had also escaped from their yard.

This is what she has sent me

They went to town on Charli and by the time an across the road neighbours came out they had Indi bailed up and also by the throat. He took Charli to the vet but he had sustained horrific injuries to his throat and head with his wind pipe crushed and throat severed. He only lasted a few minutes. The bloke then came back and found Indi and put him back in our yard. He has a puncture wound to his front leg and some swelling in the back leg. He's nearly finished the antibiotics and has been on pain relief and is physically healing well. He's howling alot for his mate and definitely a changed dog having seen his best mate killed!

The other dogs have been reported, not to be destroyed but because I'm concerned they can get out of their yard too easily and now they have a taste for blood it could be a child next time they escape. I'm still following up with the dog authorities as the other animal owners were away at the time and have been asked to report to them on their return.

Just followed up with dog control...they've been around and met with the owners of the other dogs and they've fixed a few things on their fences etc but nothing else can be done now! Apparently because there was no witness to the dogs having killed Charli, although it is very much a given, and they then had Indi in their mouth, they can't do anything about it! The same guy that took Charlie to the vet is the only witness and seen the mastiff with Indi in his mouth, then pulled him off before hunting them back into their yard.

They were pretty adamant that they couldn't give a fine because they got out otherwise they would have to fine me too for the same thing...they said they would be laughed out of court if it ever got that far because there was no witness to Charlie himself being attacked, only implied...I'm outta pocket 1250$ with vet bills and replacing Charlie before Indi dies of a broken heart or is changed forever... !!

The dog control place said just because they had Indi by the throat is not enough evidence they killed Charlie as noone seen that bit. Charli was already on the ground when the witness came out and found Indi in the dogs mouth!

What I want to know is is this right can nothing be done? Times seem to have changed from when I know personally DAS declared our dog dangerous and there was no evidence he hurt another dog no one saw anything yet these dogs were seen to have a dog in their mouths and nothing is done?

Edited by kbrown

So your 2 dogs got out , 2 other dogs were out loose too,

they all had a fight and one of your dogs died.

I don't see how you can claim anything, you were both in the wrong as far as dogs out, accident or not.

If your dogs had killed one of the other dogs you would be happy no further action was being taken.

sad that a dog died, but accidents happen if gates are not locked. :(

Dogs at large no matter how they escaped are the responsibility of the owner..

I feel for the person who's dogs were 'let out'.. Is not a situation any one would want to go through. Unfortunately DAS is correct.. They have checked on the other dogs and owners have taken measures to ensure the dogs are contained to the ranger's satisfaction.. Maybe their dogs were let out too..

Best suggestion I can make is to ensure this doesnt happen again..

Take care of the dog you still have he will need all the love and support of his family.

I don't see how you can claim anything, you were both in the wrong as far as dogs out, accident or not.

If your dogs had killed one of the other dogs you would be happy no further action was being taken.

X 2.

It is a unfortunate set of circumstances but until dog owners take all possible percautions so their dogs do not get out your friend has no recorse.

My dogs have the run of the yard when I am at home but when absent for whatever reason the are locked away with all gates locked as well.

I agree your friend doesn't sound like they have recourse - after all, their dog might have attacked the other two and they were defending themselves.

If someone can let dogs out of a gate then the dog isn't securely contained.

Yes, as crap as it is, I agree with this. If I were them I'd be getting a lock on the gate.

Utterly horrific, DNA would be on your dog but that said all dogs MUST be kept secure, no good any dogs getting out of yards.

I reported yet another neighbour whose Amstaff type is regularly roaming. As I said to the council - i'm becoming a prisoner in my own home because these d---heads cannot keep their dogs locked up.

The council appears unable to force the issue - they said they'd go round but tomorrow the dog could be out again.

The laws need changing ...

Utterly horrific, DNA would be on your dog but that said all dogs MUST be kept secure, no good any dogs getting out of yards.

I reported yet another neighbour whose Amstaff type is regularly roaming. As I said to the council - i'm becoming a prisoner in my own home because these d---heads cannot keep their dogs locked up.

The council appears unable to force the issue - they said they'd go round but tomorrow the dog could be out again.

The laws need changing ...

To what? It's somewhat difficult to legislate against stupidity.

Juice if you read it they weren't my dogs. Someone deliberately let the dogs out. Sadly they were told they can't have a lock on their gate as it needed to be left available for services to get in and out such as meter readings. THey have now been told the correct info but they have just moved into this house and sadly lost a very much loved member of their family. Thanks for your imput. Hope it never happens to a furbaby in your family.

Juice if you read it they weren't my dogs. Someone deliberately let the dogs out. Sadly they were told they can't have a lock on their gate as it needed to be left available for services to get in and out such as meter readings. THey have now been told the correct info but they have just moved into this house and sadly lost a very much loved member of their family. Thanks for your imput. Hope it never happens to a furbaby in your family.

How do you know they were deliberately let out?

Rubbish. Haven't DAS heard of DNA testing. The attacking dogs DNA would have been all over poor Charli.

I'd be pushing it with the relevant Minister if my dog had died under such circumstances.

Thanks for being so caring. Seems DAS have changed how they run things in 4 years! I don't mind if they do the same thing for each dog case but my dog who is a rescue dog was declared dangerous due to a similar incident. He got the blame as he had some blood on him he's a white dog the other dog was completely black who he lived with. It could have been his own blood as the home he was rehomed to the dogs next door would constantly go at him and were little dogs. Unfortunately the fencing wasn't good and there was an interaction of some sort. NOthing was seen or heard but this rescue dog got the blame. What I don't understand when there was a witness to see my friends dog in a mastiffs mouth how can there not be something done. Is that like saying if it had a child by the arm they wouldn't do anything even though people saw? I appreciate people's input but when you have seen these 2 cases you would be able to understand where I am coming from with my friend.

How do you know they were deliberately let out?

THere is no sign anywhere of them getting out, no digging, they have colorbond fencing right round and they don't use the gate it's always shut as they have small children and a pool so it's a big priority of safety.

Yes, as crap as it is, I agree with this. If I were them I'd be getting a lock on the gate.

If my dog had killed another dog I wouldn't want to have it in my household. What a silly comment. Action should be taken when necessary.

If my dog had killed another dog I wouldn't want to have it in my household. What a silly comment. Action should be taken when necessary.

Very hard to call unless you've been there. My view is that a dog that will kill a dog when its loose is likely to do the same again given the chance.

Hard to understand why DAS isn't prepared to up the ante for the dog's owners and issue a DD notice.

Your poor friend and her poor dogs - what a terrible thing to happen.

As horrible as it is, Juice is right - both sets of dogs were on the loose (whether they were let out or just escaped. How they were loose isn't relevant - don't get me wrong, that doesn't make what happened right in any way). As no one was there, no one knows which dogs were out first or which dogs started it, so all they have to go on is that both sets of dogs were on the loose.

Some dogs will fight, both big and small - it is unfortunate when a small dog takes on a big dog (and vice versa) because the end result (without intervention) will rarely be a good one.

I hope your friend and her dog can just move on - concentrate on getting her dog well. I really don't think that legally there is any recourse for getting funds back.

I would however keep an eye out to see if the other dogs get out again and report it immediately - if they are serial escape artists, maybe being caught a few times by DAS rangers might make them do something better to keep the dogs in.

regardless no one knows for sure someone let your friends two dogs out and no one knows for sure who started the fight. It's sad one dog has died but that can happen in a dog fight.

while I would be most upset if one of my dogs started a fight and killed another I would be less upset if they killed the other dog becuase they had been attacked. They are entitled to defend themselves what ever the size of the attacking dog.

Sorry about your friend's loss. It's an awful way to lose your pet.

This thread may go the way of similar dol threads on this subject and turn nasty. Posting was not a good idea so I have deleted my comment.

Edited by nawnim

OMG that's exactly what I had in a rented house in Canberra. I can't remember what it was in the yard, some concrete thing that workmen had to have unrestricted access to, so no padlock, whenever they felt like it and the more secure you made the gate the more annoyed they would get (like I had bricks under the gap so my little dog couldn't get under when she was in the yard and they would boot the bricks a couple of feet away for no reason) and end up just leaving the gate flapping open most times.

I'm so sorry for your friends K. RIP little dog.