Should I Be Worried?

RubyBlue

So far so good. Hes still his usual nutcase self. I was thinking if it was rat poison I'd be starting to see some sigbs by now. I was pretty sure he didnt actually eat any though. Im not ready to let out a sigh of relief just yet. A friend from the park who happens to be on the parks committee and incidentally also a doler said she'd look into it.

a little bit of rat poison doesn't slow them down , really .... did your vet suggest a test for clotting times ? That's the way to tell if they have any in their system, AFAIK....

I would think that getting liquid rodenticide would be much more difficult than getting wingtips with 1080 on ....and it would have to be a liquid to be absorbed into the chicken ...

You really should get it tested.

From time immorial there are people who set baits.

I well remember as a child and teen we lived in the suburbs and had to train our dogs to never eat anything we did not give them.

Our dogs lived long lives. Many of our neighbours dogs were baited and died, whoeveer it was would not just leave baits in the streets and parks but throw them over the fences to the dogs that were kept at home.

Your dog, being fairly large, would have to eat quite a lot of rat bait before becoming very ill. Our basset got a rat bait and we were told by the vet(she was treated with Vit K in case) that she would have needed to consume the equivelent of two 28g blocks before she would have been in major trouble. From recollection it was about 1 block per 12kg before you got into the danger area for the bait we were dealing with. So if it was crumbled up and mixed with chicken it would be hard to get enough without it being obvious and a liquid would be hard to get.

I live in a very suburban area. Id be surprised if anyone could get 1080 here.

A city person with a country property (or connections to someone with one) would be able to access 1080 pretty easily - although there would hopefully be a paper trail.

That said - there are other poisons more readily available to those crazy enough to want them.

Hoping this was just an innocent upchuck or some dog burying his treats.

I live in a very suburban area. Id be surprised if anyone could get 1080 here. Plus dog is thankfully not violently ill. Im more worried about warfarin or some type of rat poison. You can buy it at the local supermarket. Already had to deal with this at the beginning of the year...and the local councils use it for rabbits and foxes in westerfolds park.

The chicken didnt look like it had been thrown up.

How bad is 1080? Its been in my fridge all day.... :/

Clinical signs of 1080 poisoning are usually noticed within half an hour of ingestion, although symptoms can take more than six hours to manifest. Initial symptoms include vomiting, anxiety and shaking. These quickly develop into frenzied behaviour with running and screaming fits, uncontrolled paddling and seizures, followed by total collapse and death from cerebral anoxia. Rigor mortis sets in quickly.

I live in a very suburban area. Id be surprised if anyone could get 1080 here. Plus dog is thankfully not violently ill. Im more worried about warfarin or some type of rat poison. You can buy it at the local supermarket. Already had to deal with this at the beginning of the year...and the local councils use it for rabbits and foxes in westerfolds park.

The chicken didnt look like it had been thrown up.

How bad is 1080? Its been in my fridge all day.... :/

Clinical signs of 1080 poisoning are usually noticed within half an hour of ingestion, although symptoms can take more than six hours to manifest. Initial symptoms include vomiting, anxiety and shaking. These quickly develop into frenzied behaviour with running and screaming fits, uncontrolled paddling and seizures, followed by total collapse and death from cerebral anoxia. Rigor mortis sets in quickly.

Yes it is a horrendous poison and a terrible way to die :(

Having seen more than one dog suffering exactly like this I would euth my dog ASAP if I knew they had taken a 1080 bait. No way I would put them through that.

An old farmer told me he kept 1080 baited chicken in his garage fridge which at some point ended up leaking out a little. Apparently several of his dogs lapped it up and all died within the day.. Not sure if that is true but if it is it certainly doesn't take a large dose to fell a dog... And quickly!

Begs the question why anyone would want 1080 around in the first place. There has got to be more humane ways to dispatch animals.

He definitely had some in his mouth but I don't think he managed to swallow any. It sounds like the LD50 for 1080 is quite low and its now 5 days on and if he is sick he is doing an extremely good job of hiding it (even managed to score his first title yesterday :) ). So hopefully that means that that one can be ruled out.

When I was a kid 1080 didnt exist but who ever was the serial baiter certainly had access to something lethal and it sure as eggs wasnt snail or rat bait. One piece of whatever was in that meat (it just looked like chunks of boiled meat.

Who ever it was certainly threw it over our fence as well as everyone elses. I dont know if dad ever got it tested for whatever was in them.

As I said. The only dogs that survived were the ones like ours, taught not to touch anything unless we gave it to them.

Persephone is correct, if it were poisoned you would know about it. Wing tips would be a peculiar choice for baits like glass etc and evident on inspection.

Don't get me started on 1080 :mad nasty, nasty stuff.

Years ago Strychnine and Lucijet were the poisons of choice, both nasty but both with antidotes or successful treatments. There are no such things for 1080.

The father of my now decesed Stafford died from 1080 after licking a tray that had been washed off with water but left on the back of a ute. They lost a working dog bitch with 4week old puppies, a young working dog pup around 8 months of age and a 2 yo Stafford, all from that tray.

I am quite sure he is out of the woods now :) thank goodness.

We had box poison plants on our farm - they have naturally occuring 1080, and one to two leaves was all it took to kill an adult sheep. we earnt pocket money by walking paddocks and scrub and picking it from the tiny two leaf stay. We got 20 to 50 cents a plant.

Edited by OSoSwift

On investigation we think we've found the source of these particular chicken wings and it seems to be training related, nothing sinister thank goodness.:)

That's good ..but wonder why they didn't use the bin?

Apparently they have a "novel" way of training tracking.