Anyone Know What This Might Be?

gapvic

I took this last night and was surprised by the white streak on the left - I didn't see anything like it in the sky when I took the shot. Am assuming that maybe it's something weird that happened inside my camera? Can anyone tell me what it is or what I did wrong? Took another few shots of the same tree and no streak.

Settings 30 sec f4.5 iso 100 15mm

8730055548_a97012e100_b.jpg

Love it......

Maybe smoke or fog just coming in and it's reflected the light?

edit to add: Looked a second time and you also have some abnormal light on the right hand side in the distant trees. Plus it looks like fog/smoke above the tree, so I'd say reflection.

Edited by pesh

Thanks guys. No fog or smoke around, and it was only the one pic - the photos I took either side of this one don't show it.

And off topic, but here are another I took last night in the dark :) . I'm going to try doing this one again - had the exposure too long and the stars are little blurry trails. Will have to run around faster to get the trees lit up :laugh:

8729996707_b1250b0a7d_b.jpg

It does look really cool, I have a friend who is a master at long exposures, light painting etc and the first thing he said was smoke too.

But like you said if it was why isn't it in the other pics!

.... - had the exposure too long and the stars are little blurry trails. ....

Or you could leave it on the tripod with a long exposure for long star trails. I forget what this one was, about an hour I think, fun but needs more planning and some practice.

DSC_5315B-S.jpg

That's a good link RevJo, keep us up with what you are doing/learning. I am still blown away by the skies here in central Vic after moving from where we were hemmed in and over by forest. I've looked at what I need/would like for playing with it and can't justify the cost, self-indulgent. Have to be content with the little I do with the little I've got, sort of. But I did like his hit yourself hard comments about people using weak tripods etc, all good on getting the best out of simpler equip.

Persephone's link today in photography tips (for exposure) has a button for an astro on-line book at $20, also looks like good value.

You can get some good stuff without the tracker on your tripod. You do need a telescope for deep space objects though. There are good freeware programs people use, stellarium to find space objects, sky map for android devices that shows you where they are outside then startrails and deep sky stacker to process. I have a few shots from a few nights ago but I am having a few issues with deep sky tracker.