Animal Rehoming Service Inc

They are based in Victoria. My mother in law rang them about a dog they have advertised on pet rescue, and the lady was so rude to her that my mother in law is almost turned off rescue completely.

she basically told my mil that the dog is only 1 and that my mil doesn't have long to live so how would the dog be cared for. mind you, she never asked my mil age, and was only guessing from her voice as to her age. my mother in law tried to explain that if anything happened she has 4 sons who all have dogs that could help and then the lady called her a stupid old lady and a moron and hung up on her.

understandably, the whole family is furious.

I have the name of the lady but am refraining from putting it in the public light at the present time.

Could anyone please direct me to any decent, ethical rescues in Victoria that are not against rehoming to a healthy couple in their mid 60s? they would like a small terrier type dog, young (about 2 years) but not a puppy. very experienced dog house, recently lost their beloved kelpie/staffy at age 12.

dog would be inside/outside, mil is home all day, they want to train it to come away on frequent trips in a caravan.

if anyone knows of any rescues that might be able to assist my mil, I would be very grateful.

also, if anyone knows anyone who works for animal rehoming inc IRL please tell them to get some people skills and pull their heads in.

Edited by Snout Girl

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try us. We've got a couple of very cute little terriers and two more coming in next week. And we love active retirees for adopters. Get your MIL to drop us a line at [email protected] or check my sig for our website.

The little guys aren't listed on Pet Rescue yet, but happy to send photos.

Sounds like they shouldn't be doing that job. :mad

I provide the same service all of the time and find solutions for people looking for new pets generally but without any nastiness involved. If I can't change their mind about getting a 1 yr old dog when they are 80 then I'm disappointed but never rude ...

There are plenty of good rescues in VIC that will help - Aphra and Rescued with Love do a great job for a start!

There's also the dogs that are in trouble in the post that Iggy Mum made.

Edited by dogmad

They are based in Victoria. My mother in law rang them about a dog they have advertised on pet rescue, and the lady was so rude to her that my mother in law is almost turned off rescue completely.

she basically told my mil that the dog is only 1 and that my mil doesn't have long to live so how would the dog be cared for. mind you, she never asked my mil age, and was only guessing from her voice as to her age. my mother in law tried to explain that if anything happened she has 4 sons who all have dogs that could help and then the lady called her a stupid old lady and a moron and hung up on her.

I have the name of the lady but am refraining from putting it in the public light at the present time.

That lady's response you've given, is abusive. As her rescue is advertising thro' PetRescue, I'd imagine the PetRescue team would like to hear how she spoke to a caller. As you rightly point out, behaviour like that can turn callers off ever going near a rescue again. People, like your MIL, who have above-average homes to offer.

So consider advising PetRescue.

There are other rescues in Victoria to pick from as other posters have said. Hope your MIL finds just what she's looking for at one of them.

ADDED: Their website:

http://www.tars.org.au/index.htm

Edited by mita

I would have thought a couple like that would be the ideal home for a rescue - pity there are not more of them. :) Also the family should complain - in writing - to the rescue group in question. Obviously the person has some sort of personality problem - they may not know how their brand is being trashed - it only takes one episode like that and the word spreads around fast.

I am sure there will be plenty of rescues lining up with candidates for such a good home.

Try us. We've got a couple of very cute little terriers and two more coming in next week. And we love active retirees for adopters. Get your MIL to drop us a line at [email protected] or check my sig for our website.

The little guys aren't listed on Pet Rescue yet, but happy to send photos.

Thanks mate, you guys sound perfect. Would you have a phone number I could pass on? As far as I know my mother in laws internet skills are fairly limited and she does not have an email address. I know she would much rather have chat over the phone :)

Jeez mid 60's is not elderly, but hope they find a better rescue to go to.

I'm glad you think so :laugh: This mid 60's old lady who is going to die soon has 5 dogs and one cat LOL.

Laughing aside, totally gobsmacked that anyone in the rescue business, referral service or actual group, could respond in such a manner. They need a good clip around the ears, only figuratively speaking, of course. :lollipop:

Edited by Danny's Darling

They advertise animals that are needing to be rehomed, but are still in the care of the current owners (well in most instances anyway). It was likely the dog's owner's details on pet rescue, so your MIL would have spoken to them, not the Animal Rehoming Service people.

They advertise animals that are needing to be rehomed, but are still in the care of the current owners (well in most instances anyway). It was likely the dog's owner's details on pet rescue, so your MIL would have spoken to them, not the Animal Rehoming Service people.

So basically they use Pet Rescue as a private rehoming service? Is that allowed? :confused:

So basically they use Pet Rescue as a private rehoming service? Is that allowed? :confused:

Seems to be. I was suprised to see a breeders 2 pedigree dogs on there recently showing full pedigree name too. Desexed.

I referred someone to them that was looking for this particular breed as they would send interstate & they said they enquired & these dogs had gone very quickly.

Back on topic the womans attitude was shocking. She needs reporting to pet rescue. This attitude does not help find homes, puts people off & is absolutely ridiculous re the age.

This is a bad move by Petrescue.

The general public don't know what questions to ask and how to place their dogs in well suited homes, its like offering a broker service, you have no control on whats happening and puts rescue in a bad light if as in this case the owners are useless. :(

The listing for The Animal Rehoming Service all have the same name and phone number, so I'd presume if you call that number you get the lady with the rehoming service. However, from their website (http://www.tars.org.au/) it makes it wonder if they ever meet and/or assess the animals they are "rehoming" and therefore things could go terribly wrong if the owners aren't honest.

I have just looked at their website and the person who abused my MIL is one of the founders, so not a random dog owner.

This lady could do a lot of damage to the rescue industry, my MIL said she was screeching at her like a banshee to the point where my MIL thought she must have a mental illness. my MIL is also a very reasonable person and not prone to exaggeration.