Breeds With Toddlers

JRT Lover

What breed would be your number one recommendation to mix with toddlers, always well supervised of course?

I have a few more specific criteria but am keen to hear your views without being coloured by my preferences initially :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about breeds in particular, but I know my JRT was incredible with the littlies. I knew this when I saw my 6 month old nephew (who was on my lap with Tip next to him) with his fist down Tip's throat, trying to pull his tongue out. Tip was just looking at me begging for my help with extracting the hand..... Tip was inehaustable, and kids loved that, but he was really gentle with them.

The other individual dog I know is a lab, and I have NEVER seen a more gentle dog with his 8 month old human brother. It is inspiring to see.

So I would say it depends on the individual dog.

Di

I had a miniature poodle and an australian terrier mix when my children were toddlers and I must say I would have trusted the aussie more than the poodle - but I knew the personalities of those dogs very well. I don't know a dog who is bomb proof enough to withstand a toddler unsupervised and I know you don't mean that you will do that. I wouldn't have a little, skinny dog because a toddler may harm them if they happened to fall on them or tread on them, so I would go for a more substantial dog, but not too big either so they don't push the toddler over. I taught my toddlers NOT to cuddle, NOT to chase, NOT to pick up the dogs. They were allowed to (when supervised) pat them gently, throw a ball, offer them food, and they were also allowed to hold onto their leads when supervised (they weren't the type of dogs to pull - or that could be a disaster!). My kids grew up with a great respect for all dogs and I think that is most important.

My lab was 2 when my little cousin started walking and he was quite lovely with her.

So an adult lab thats has been raised with toddlers and has good manners could be good.

Perhaps look for a guide dog that didn't quite make it??

But to suggest breeds we probably need to know more about you :)

I have a cocker and a beagle. Both are excellent with my monster son. Neither dog has ever been around any child before and yet they are patient and well behaved with my son. Even when he's being a total brat and body slamming the poor beagle. I tell him no in my shouty mummy voice, he laughs and the beagle licks his face.

I read an interesting take on this a few years back.

It suggested going for a small breed or a larger breed and to leave the medium sized dogs out of the equation. The rationale was that if pressed, a small breed would be unlikely to do much damage while a larger breed was generally big enough to shrug a toddler off. A medium sized breed could inflict quite a bit of damage but wasn't big enough to escape. Not sure what I make of that.

I would suggest the best breeds for young families might include:

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Whippets

Pointers

All smooth coated so coat can't be grabbed with tiny hands. All pretty tolerant breeds.

I think the tinies are too easily triggered to defence or at risk of injury. No one can supervise their kids 24/7.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Individual temperament and training are way more important than breed. My last kelpie was perfect with our friends toddlers and my new boy, who is 5 1/2 months, has been great with my 6 month old son so far. I would get a pup if I were you. That way both the kids and the dog all get to learn the rules all at the same time.

Individual temperament and training are way more important than breed. My last kelpie was perfect with our friends toddlers and my new boy, who is 5 1/2 months, has been great with my 6 month old son so far. I would get a pup if I were you. That way both the kids and the dog all get to learn the rules all at the same time.

Mouthy pups and small children can be a pretty fraught combination. Sometimes all the learning that occurs is that the kids learn to avoid the dog. :(

Many of the giant breeds (as adults) are great with toddlers and young children, not so much if they are a puppy though as they often don't know their own size and strength. But Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards and Mastiffs are all wonderful companions for littlies. Of course they are not breeds that suit every lifestyle though.

My Pug and Frenchie are brilliant with my boys (4 and 6), but they do know how to act appropriately (both parties). Pugs are a bit smaller and more fragile, Frenchies are a bit bulkier and more rough and tumble. Actually, my Frenchie is very much my youngest son's dog (son was just 2 when we bought Sid home).

This one shows tolerance levels :laugh: And size differences:

8661495639_60e785602e.jpg

And the boys together:

8386045636_d04053d3d6.jpg

I think as the others have said, it depends on the individuals of the breed (and the kid!). I grew up with Golden Retrievers and they were amazing with us.

I think Cavaliers generally make good pets for parents with young children, depending on how well behaved the toddler/s are ;-)

I think its been mentioned on dol a few times that when kids get excited, puppies often react and that can sometimes cause some problems..

I was at a Cavalier fun day recently and had Miah in a crate for a short time, and some Mother came over with her young child and leant over and grabbed Miah and gave her to her daughter to hold. eek1.gif The biggest problem is that even at 5 months old Miah is a very wriggly puppy, and even we have to hold her firmly if we pick her up, and i had an instant panic moment the kid would drop her ! I went over and nicely took Miah off her, but you can see how easily a puppy could get injured crying.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I read an interesting take on this a few years back.

It suggested going for a small breed or a larger breed and to leave the medium sized dogs out of the equation. The rationale was that if pressed, a small breed would be unlikely to do much damage while a larger breed was generally big enough to shrug a toddler off. A medium sized breed could inflict quite a bit of damage but wasn't big enough to escape. Not sure what I make of that.

I would suggest the best breeds for young families might include:

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Whippets

Pointers

All smooth coated so coat can't be grabbed with tiny hands. All pretty tolerant breeds.

I think the tinies are too easily triggered to defence or at risk of injury. No one can supervise their kids 24/7.

I'd agree with all three of those suggestions especially Pointers. In my experience with my guys, my two girls were not raised round kids but have interacted with kids at some point aged from 2-10 (my cousins) and BOTH have been amazing. I sold one of my puppies to a home of 5 kids the youngest being four and he is very much loved and spoilt!

I'd agree with all three of those suggestions especially Pointers. In my experience with my guys, my two girls were not raised round kids but have interacted with kids at some point aged from 2-10 (my cousins) and BOTH have been amazing. I sold one of my puppies to a home of 5 kids the youngest being four and he is very much loved and spoilt!

A largely overlooked gem of a breed IMO that deserves more consideration from families. Lovely dogs. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My toller is exceptional with our 20 month old. She knew I was pregnant before I did and after I ended up very sick and on bed rest she didn't leave my side and checked my tummy regularly! She adores my daughter, puts up with anything! She taught herself how to use the slide in our backyard so they can take turns and after playing peekaboo a few weeks ago she has started sticking her head under the blanket and jumping out going 'AWOOOWOOOWOOOOOOOO'!! It's hilarious :)

My toller is exceptional with our 20 month old. She knew I was pregnant before I did and after I ended up very sick and on bed rest she didn't leave my side and checked my tummy regularly! She adores my daughter, puts up with anything! She taught herself how to use the slide in our backyard so they can take turns and after playing peekaboo a few weeks ago she has started sticking her head under the blanket and jumping out going 'AWOOOWOOOWOOOOOOOO'!! It's hilarious :)

That's too adorable PD :love: