Rehoming My Boxer

booge

It kills me to write this post but I've reached a point where I've had to admit that I think my dog is too much for me. I have a 7 year old Boxer boy, our life has changed a lot in the last year with a new child, moving house, both parents being shift workers and little spare time.

It's at a point where he needs to go to a Boxer friendly house. Someone who is accustomed to Boxers and more importantly has the time to devote to him. It's tearing me up inside, but can anyone here recommend a good rehoming service?

I would never take him to a pound, but a lot of our arguments and stress at home revolve around him and the destruction he causes. I feel I'm failing him and his needs. He's a good boy but far too high maintenance for our situation.

I'm not writing this for tips on living with Boxers, but simply asking if anyone has recommendations for rehoming places/services.

I'm on my phone, so I can't see what state you live in Booge. I second OSoswift's suggestions. First contact his breeder and if they can't help, your state Boxer Club and Boxer rescue. So sorry that it's come to this. Take care.

That's really sad that you aren't willing to listen to any tips, that's a shame as there are lots of people on here who work long hours, have children and give their dogs a great life. There are lots of things that you can do to entertain him and wear him out.

You could try and rehome him yourself first, make sure he is desexed to stop people thinking they can just have him to make money from.

You could try asking in the rescue section too, be prepared for people to be a bit blunt though, its a common reason people offload their dogs.

I had to rehome one of mine once who was just too much for me, however he was under 12 months, rehoming a dog you have had for 7 yrs will get a harsh response so be warned.

Booge:

My Boxer has been scratching with atopic dermatitis most of his life and he's been on pred on and off most of his life. I've tried diets, food elimination, every magic product, natural therapy, shampoo, supplement i can find

I think this is going to make rehoming particularly challenging. 7 is old for a Boxer. An old Boxer with ongoing health issues has its best chance with breed rescue but even they can't produce miracles often. :(

That's really sad that you aren't willing to listen to any tips, that's a shame as there are lots of people on here who work long hours, have children and give their dogs a great life. There are lots of things that you can do to entertain him and wear him out.

Yes :thumbsup:

Booge:

My Boxer has been scratching with atopic dermatitis most of his life and he's been on pred on and off most of his life. I've tried diets, food elimination, every magic product, natural therapy, shampoo, supplement i can find

I think this is going to make rehoming particularly challenging. 7 is old for a Boxer. An old Boxer with ongoing health issues has its best chance with breed rescue but even they can't produce miracles often. :(

Exactly :(

He's all good now healthwise. Skin is great, fit as a fiddle, doesn't show his age at all. I've contacted boxer rescue in Victoria and await their reply.

Make sure you disclose his full medical history. Only fair on an adoptive family to know what they're potentially in for, noting that the stress of rehoming may well produce a recurrence.

I think you you should definitely contact a breed rescue, if he is to have a chance of finding a suitable home and you really can't cope anymore. You have detailed a number of issues with your boy in the past, so he will need a home that can cope with his allergies, dietary needs and his dominance going by your previous posts. I do think you will have to be prepared for the fact that he may be quite difficult to rehome. I hope you can find an answer.

Edited to add:

HDW - sorry I am just repeating everything you said (whilst I was trying to write a post that didn't sound too judgemental and harsh because that isn't my intention).

Booge I am glad to hear he is healthy now but also think you should fully disclose past skin issues - he will slip back very quickly without the correct management.

Edited by coogie

He's all good now healthwise. Skin is great, fit as a fiddle, doesn't show his age at all. I've contacted boxer rescue in Victoria and await their reply.

I hope you are 100% honest with any rescue who trys to assist your dog (past history and past health issues included).

Reading back through your post history it seems you've had your fair share of issues with him. The boxer doesn't seem to be the breed for you and I can't see it ever getting better no matter how much you are attacked by some in this thread. He is better off going somewhere he will be understood. I wish your decision had have been made much earlier though.

Have you also contacted his breeder to ask if they can assist with re-homing?

Please think carefully before getting another dog.

How do you think your pug will adjust to life without his mate?

Just make sure you do tell any rescue all about his history, they need to match him to a new home, it would be so sad if he ended up bouncing from home to home or ended up being taken to the pound because his new home didn't know all the history and couldn't cope.

Just make sure you do tell any rescue all about his history, they need to match him to a new home, it would be so sad if he ended up bouncing from home to home or ended up being taken to the pound because his new home didn't know all the history and couldn't cope.

So true Juice.