Non-shedding Dogs

Sheridan, I can see where you're coming from. It has happened with "my" breed quite a bit. Oh good, a non shedding dog...just what we want...oops, it isn't what we were expecting, off to the pound for you. LR's are quite rare but theye seem to pop up in shelters/needing rehoming relatively regularly.

Having said that, I think the opinions and suggestions here are quite sensible. I don't think anyone is saying that non-shedding is/should be their only criteria, just that it is important.

We definitely wanted a dog that didn't shed but all of the other traits for that breed, along with careful selection of breeder, were vital in our process. JRT Lover seems to be very aware of several things she is looking for in a new dog.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan, you were talking about non-shedding being the first criteria. That's what I'm arguing for.

It being the ONLY criteria is, of course, careless. But no more careless than choosing it for its size, looks, etc. To say "I'm picking on non-shed-lovers" (slight paraphrasing) is to both generalise and pick on someone for preference.

A dog should be chosen to fit the owners' lifestyle, personality and needs. The ORDER of the criteria shouldn't matter.

Isn't it your first criteria? What happens when no non-shedding dog is suitable to a person's lifestyle? Most of them are terriers and I can't think of nothing worse than a terrier breed in the hands of someone who doesn't get terriers.

When no non-shedding dog is suitable you choose other options. Your rescue an oodle from a pound if you are so inclined or you consider a shedding breed or..*gasp*...you reconsider getting a dog at all. There are options other than simply getting something for the sake of it.

Sheridan, you were talking about non-shedding being the first criteria. That's what I'm arguing for.

It being the ONLY criteria is, of course, careless. But no more careless than choosing it for its size, looks, etc. To say "I'm picking on non-shed-lovers" (slight paraphrasing) is to both generalise and pick on someone for preference.

A dog should be chosen to fit the owners' lifestyle, personality and needs. The ORDER of the criteria shouldn't matter.

Isn't it your first criteria? What happens when no non-shedding dog is suitable to a person's lifestyle? Most of them are terriers and I can't think of nothing worse than a terrier breed in the hands of someone who doesn't get terriers.

It IS my first criteria, that's why I'm defending it. If no non-shedding dog is suitable, then you consider your options (become more flexible, choose a different animal, etc). In the meantime, you learn a lot. We all started somewhere.

The way I see it, when you're getting a pet, you have your non-negotiable criteria and your negotiable criteria. As long as you do your research, it shouldn't matter which of the criteria was your starting point. What matters is that you're honest with yourself about what you need and can handle, as well as what each breed needs to be healthy and happy.

ETA: Actually, it's my 2nd criteria. The first was size.

Edited by Melina Bea

My Weimaraner has a very short single coat and doesn't seem to shed much at all. About twice a year she will moult and drop quite a bit of hair during that time and brushing doesn't seem to help much then. Overall, she doesn't bring much dirt into the house, nothing gets stuck on that short coat and she doesn't carry things inside on purpose lol

She does, however, have a strong houndy sort of smell. Washing does not really help, in fact she always has this very particular smell about her. Personally I kind of like it, because it smells like HER if you now what I mean, but it is definitely noticeable and not everybody likes it as much as me lol

My bully mix has a double coat and sheds a fair bit but she has pretty much no smell unless she gets very dirty or wet.

I am not much of a fan of long coats and very short dog hair seems to be a lot easier to vaccuum up than long hair (I used to have a Coolie x with a long-ish coat, she was blue merle so there was long white hair everywhere.. used to drive me crazy) but honestly I probably wouldn't make coat a criteria except to rule out dogs that need a lot of time dedicated to specialized grooming since I don't have the skill, patience and wallet to care for a coat like that.

Edited by BlackJaq

We own Tibetan Spaniels. Yes, they shed. But, as others have said, dog owners have their own preferences. The sweet, sensible Buddhist nature of these dogs... so peaceful to live with ...goes top of my list. And there's something that can be done about the shedding.

Some of the Australian-bred purebreds seem to have silkier-layered coats, so not as much undercoat to shed. We have one like that....

But we have another, born & bred in Scandanavia, who has a very full undercoat. As she's now a pet, I get her clipped. More because it's comfortable for her in this sub-tropical climate.

But best of all, the tibbie looks very good when clipped. They have solid, well-shaped bodies & don't look like plucked chickens.

post-3304-0-37635100-1368511073_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

I didn't think most of the non-shedders were Terriers? I can only think of the Poodles, Bichons, Maltese, Shitzu, Lhasa, Havanese etc, quite a few to choose from - none of which are Terriers. Surely one of those would be suitable for most people?

I am one that has a strong preference for non shedding dogs poodles in particular. I groom for a living and that is enough dog hair for me i cannot stand it all over the house.

I have 5 non/low shedding dogs and I would like to keep it that way, if I had the choice between a non shedding x breed and a shedding pedigree I would go with the x breed.

Guest donatella

I have a fairly low shedding breed (double coated so all the loose hairs get caught in the undercoat and out in the brush) and I freaking love it.

I don't have hair on furniture, clothes and work uniforms. My mum has terriers who shed terribly and are not allowed on furniture for that reason. Her tiles are coated in white wirey hairs daily, you wouldn't think mine had as much hair as they do, but it all comes out in the brush not on everything else.

Guest donatella

I'm the OP in the other thread so will answer here too :)

As you might gather from my login name here, my heart really belongs to the JRT. I lost my beloved old girl just a few weeks ago and am helping myself to deal with her loss here. We aren't in a hurry to get another dog, but I want to be well researched when we do. I recognise that a JRT is perhaps not the best choice for toddlers so am looking at my options.

Frankly, I find dog hair in the house to be pretty offensive. I'm house proud and don't like seeing little tufts sitting in the corner and having to sweep every day to keep on top of it. My JRT was a short hair and did shed more than is my ideal, but my hubby's old lab/golden mix shed like nobody's business. If there was a cobweb anywhere, indoors or out, it was full of dog hair. The screen doors were caked in it. The pot plants were full of it. It drove me insane frankly, and I'd rather take care of the coat of a dog than feel disgusted at hair everywhere all the time.

I know many people don't mind it, but it bothers me. Each to their own :)

Are you suggesting that people with shedding dogs are not house proud?

Seriously, if your first criteria for a dog is that it shouldn't shed please get a stuffed toy and stay away from real dogs. My breeds, for one, should not be in the hands of the 'house proud' because you'll find that you'll instead spend all of your time cleaning up the leaves and sticks they bring in on their non-shedding coats. I spend a lot of time cleaning up after my dogs and it's not because of the hair.

Exactly, non-shedding dogs are still dogs. They still play and get dirty and carry in dirt and mud and grass and whatever charming creatures they've decided to play with in the yard and proudly show off to you. Honestly, hair is probably the least of what I pick up after my dogs, the majority is grass and sticks and flowers and dirt and plants they've dug up.

We can confirm this as true.

bonniemud_zps173ee791.jpg

I have two 50kgs+ double coated Akita's, so dog hair doesn't bother me much, yes when they are blowing coat it can and does form up into dog hair tumbleweeds.

Simply fixed with some vacuuming, compared to other things they have done in the house hair is the least thing to worry about.

Given the choice between a spotlessly clean house and one full of furry family love, I say bring on the hair and the paw prints and so on.

I once got into bed and found a piece of dry dog food in there as I nestled down, no worries I thought put it on the night stand to take to the bin in the morning. Started to snuggle down again and found another piece slightly damp dog food 'queue look of horror' raced out of bed, spent the next hour and a half washing changing sheets and disposing of the huge puddle of dog vomit one of them had left me hidden under the bedding.

Shedding isn't a big factor for me personally when selecting breeds, but as I live with someone who isn't too keen on dog hair around the place it played a part in my choice. While Salukis shed, it's really not too bad, which suits me as they are quite low maintenance grooming-wise. It's a shock to the system when we have dogs of other, more sheddy breeds come over to play- it makes me appreciate how low-shedding Bella really is!

My oh had a mixed breed dog when I met him. She was 1/4 poodle, 1/4 doxie & 1/2 something that looked like a long, low beagle. Her parents were my in-laws dogs. The mother a cross of the 1st 2 was never groomed that I saw & always had dread locks. Oh's dog had a few but not as bad as her mother. It was a job to get her coat in order when she came to live with us. She was an outside dog, only came inside occasionally. This was back in the mid 70's

For my next dog I said we'd get a short haired dog, which we did. Never again, he left hair everywhere. I was forever sweeping. Like someone else said the hair would collect in cobwebs, branches etc. So much prefer long haired dogs. The border collie is an easy groom except in moulting season. The 2 I've had, had been different. April was the easiest & Tilba gets dread locks in her hips & thighs during a moult. The JS is another matter.

as for non shedding it does seem to depend on what you read

with my last litter I had an enquiry for a pup from a school teacher, in fact she told me she was the principal of her school. Her research led her to believe greyhounds were non - low shedding. I just laughed and asked who told her that? It was something she read on the internet, one of those what breed would suit me. Needless to say she didn't get a pup from me ( for other reasons as well ). The really sad thing was she didn't believe me when I said they shed heaps, she practically said outright " I'm a principal and I know what I read ".

I'm amazed how much my black grey sheds! Her blanket on her couch is covered in tiny black hairs that don't all come off in the wash (or dryer). My two LC chihuahuas don't shed much. My JRT x sheds as much as the grey. My silky x has a GSD type of coat (white) and sheds heaps...

I love my Chinese Crested semi-hairless and mum's toy poodle. Clipping doesn't really take long with a good clipper.

I always said I'd get a poodle when I get old but I think I'll stick with Cresties (I'm besotted). No more short coated shedders. I'd just rather not spend my life on the housework treadmill, clothes covered in hair, car covered in hair... Much as I love them.