Performance Border Collies?

Definitely use the dog you have now, it will be a great learning experince for you :thumbsup: I would love to get into agility but my boy is to old and I wont be able to get another dog for a while. My mum has kindly allowed me the use of her dog ( a little fluffy thing ) which will be a big learning curve for me as I have never trained a little dog before.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first dog I ever trained for dog sports was my beagle and it was an awesome learning curve! I train a working line Malinois now and what others have said about learning to drive before getting behind the wheel of a Ferrari is so true. Learn as much as you can now, work on your handling skills and the more experience you have the better you will be selecting the right dog for you when the time comes. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/user/BonniePaws?feature=watch

I enjoyed these :) You obviously put an awful lot of work into teaching your gorgeous girl !

I like the Play Dead trick )

You are worried Bonnie is getting slow ...

I thought of two reasons .. which may or may not apply ..

Rewards are too far apart ? She has nothing valuable towards which to work ?

Boredom ... ? Multiple times, for example thru weave poles, in the same order may be not what she enjoys ?

Guest Clover

I think you are doing a good job for a beginner well done. I would be looking at getting both your own and the dogs enthusiasm/ excitement built up. And mixing it up again, repetition often results in a bored dog.

Edited to ad: as the owner of 3 working type border collies living in suburbia they were a lot of work when they were young (now 9.5 and a nearly 2 year old).

Edited by Clover

I started agility with cherry when I was 8, it was a challenge especially as she had no respect for me haha! But after lots of training and hard work we started competing when I was 10. She did really well and we kept going up until this year. When I was 14 we got rusty, and boy has he been a challenge! But he has taught me so so much! Like you I would love a performance border collie or highly strung rescue dog, but I will wait until I finish uni before I think of it, I imagine it'd be a lot of work! Definitely keep working with your mums dog, you're doing do well and it really is so much fun! Who knows, in a few years time we might see you out there with a super speedy border collie and great handling skills :D

Out of interest though, what kennels - working line and show line - would people recommend if someone was interested and ready for a performance BC?

I wouldn't be taking on one for 3-5 years as I've got more work and things to do with my current Border, but after then, I certainly might consider one.

Out of interest though, what kennels - working line and show line - would people recommend if someone was interested and ready for a performance BC?

I wouldn't be taking on one for 3-5 years as I've got more work and things to do with my current Border, but after then, I certainly might consider one.

There has already been several recommended in this thread if you read back through the posts :)

Just wondering if any more should be added to the list. =)

Edit: So far mentioned have been:

Guiremere

Kayladene

Adensly

Kerodan

Dunwurkn

Calanais

Winpara

Danari

Nahrof

Dalheath

Terrabella

Edited by FalconRange

I would think that the list could well change in the next 3 to 5 years as well so it is worth looking at dogs you like at trials or training and speaking to their owners to find out more about where they come from.

Also some kennels have dogs from quite different lines so as well as asking about the kennel a dog you like comes from I would be finding out the lines behind it as well and looking into those lines and trying to find out about other dogs from the same lines.

Just wondering if any more should be added to the list. =)

Edit: So far mentioned have been:

Guiremere

Kayladene

Adensly

Kerodan

Dunwurkn

Calanais

Winpara

Danari

Nahrof

Dalheath

Terrabella

+1 for Calanais :) My 15wk girl is from Calanais, absolutely gorgeous and driven!

I fully expect that the list will change. Some may not still even be breeding by that stage, I guess. It's nice to get some ideas from others within the community though. I should take the advice on board and start a notebook with impressive dogs and their lines though - too hard to remember otherwise! Thanks piper. :)

Have fun with your little girl, BCNut! I met a lovely young girl from Calanais at a trial the other day. Looking forward to seeing her trial in future too.

Edited by FalconRange

Hello again!! So this isn't about Border Collies, just an update on Bonnie's agility. so keep reading if you would like to see how I'm going!!

so today I filmed a session with Bonnie. As soon as I watched it, I found what I've been doing wrong. I haven't been rewarding her nearly enough. At one part of the clip, I made her do the same jumps over and over for a whole minute before finally rewarding her. So Bonnie is not the problem, it's clearly me!!! this is why Bonnie has been starting to walk during agility, I've tired her out!!! both physically and mentally I've been asking way too much of her. I'm guessing that how I have been rewarding Bon, or not rewarding, has changed how she's been performing. I know she wants to please me, but I'm asking way too much. so instead of just going flat out like I've been wanting her to, Bonnie has been pacing herself because she knows I'm not going to reward her soon. or she might just be bored, which is probably what's really happening.

anyway, hopefully I can fix the now "not so little" problem I've created. so tomorrow I'm going to give agility another go, but I'm going to reward much shorter sequences and keep everything positive

Good on you :thumbsup: It is hard to be self critical sometimes. Don't beat yourself up about it though - we ALL stuff our dogs up....*points to self and nods* :laugh:

Feel free to come join us in the Training forum. There's an agility thread in there for training, results and the odd giggle at our own handling :D