Rat Posion - 1 Kilo Of It :(

Tazar

My fur baby ate over a kilo of rat sack this morning whilst visiting my Mum's. She was caught getting into the third box and taken straight to the vet. Injection given, lots of green vomit, then charcoal (which she later threw up) and on Vitamin K tablets. She is about 27 kilos in weight.

Wanting to hear success stories............. and lots of them..... please...

OMG! thats so scarey!! I hope he is okay! Sending healing vibes!

when I was a kid, my GSD ate a small box of rat sack.. we didnt even realise he had eaten it until days later, and he was completely fine...

not sure how he didnt get sick, or if he did, how we didnt notice because I was out playing with him every day. We guess he might have thrown it up? But he lived to a ripe old age.

You caught it early and she wouldn't have had much of a chance to digest it - thank goodness.

Keep her quiet and keep a very good eye on her, but many dogs eat ratsack, have symptoms ( and very bad ones) and recover well. So fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you and all is well.

Our dogs are just a bit silly and stressful sometimes!

Edited by OSoSwift

Jesus, that's a lot.

I don't have any stories, sorry, but this is one of my worst nightmares. :(

I hope she's ok. I don't keep any type of poison in my house as I'm so paranoid they might get into it.:(

Keep us updated, sending good thoughts.

Edited by Aussie3

Oh My !!

That is one hell of a lot of poison :(

I hope she will be OK , as you got help immediately - that's great!

I hope your vet has told you what to do , and what NOT to do..and what to look out for now ....

We used to tell people to basically "wrap dogs in cotton wool" ... and avoid any bumps /injuries , As you know, ratsack makes bleeding much worse ...so any bruising/scratches etc can be problematic.

feed her good nourishing food ..no bones , or hard chewies, in case of mouth /throat injuries ...

and be kind to yourself !

Oh no, that's a lot. :(

Moose ate a sachet of RatSak (not all of it) and same as your pooch was straight to the vet, vomited it up and given charcoal. He was on Vit K for about 6 weeks from memory and he was fine.

Hope she's fine, sounds like she's gotten rid of most of it. :crossfingers:

Edited by moosepup

A girl I know had a young stumpy tail. Unbeknown to her, her place of employment - on a property where she could have her young dog - placed ratsack all around the stables and feed sheds. She had no idea her dog had consumed any and had never seen her dog eat any. As they were on acerage the dog went out into a paddock to poop, so had not seen any coloured poop.

She rang me - at the vet hospital where I worked - to say there was something very wrong with her dog and she was bringing her in. In the 50kms it took her to get to town her dog went from lethargic and not quite right to floppy, unable to stand and barely responsive. She had a RBC of 17 - possibly less brain is a bit fuzzy on that. She was admitted and started on very aggressive treatment as well as transfusions. She had a bleed into her brain (she was also bleeding into her abdomen) she lost her vision for a time but over time she came back to full health and vision with no long term effects from her brain bleed.

I have seen MANY dogs with Ratsack poisoning and this girl would have to have been one of the worst I have ever seen. Very very few have died from it and those that did it was usually becasue the owner had no idea they had had access until there were visable symptoms.

Yes wrap her in cotton wool and the fact you found her quickly and got her treatment quickly definately goes in her favour.

Edited by OSoSwift

Oh how awful. I hope your girl is going to be okay. You found it early, and did all you can. Please dont beat yourself up over this terrible accident,it was just that, an ACCIDENT, and give your mum a big hug too, she would be feeling sick with guilt too.

Di

Thanks everyone, for the stories and good wishes.

She probably had it in her stomach for about an hour by the time she got to the vet.

She has been resting on the couch all afternoon, tail still wagging a bit when she gets a pat, poor baby.

My dog brought me a chewed up packet on New Years Eve just past. Off to the vets and $600 lighter for 6 weeks of Vitamin K for two large dogs. Thankfully they were never even symptomatic.

Eventually found out that my neighbour had put it down whilst they were on holidays with their dog and hadn't thought it could get on my property.

The whole thing is well and truly over now and the dogs didn't even know what all the fuss was about.

I am sure your girl will be completely fine. The worst part about my dogs whole ordeal was that the older one had to stop her zydax injections.