Martin Mckenna The Dreadlocked Dog Man

BFR hosted Martin McKenna at New Farm Park this morning and oh what a beautiful man!

For those that don't know anything about him he is dyslexic and has ADHD. He is one of identical triplets and was always called stupid and ended up in a series of foster homes before running away and living with a pack of dogs. He was actually crying recalling how the dogs that became his family were eventually seized and pts even though it happened 30 to 40 years ago. He shares what he knows about dogs out of respect for those that he lost.

I had watched his You Tube clips so went there with some pre-conceived ideas and several specific questions but the whole session was very organic and hands on. There was a deaf bully there and she even responded to his actions like the hearing dogs so it wasn't what he said but more his actions and energy. He also did an introduction of a new rescue dog to a new foster carer and her dog, creating and sharing an energy that told both dogs that there was nothing to be stressed about. Then there was a foster dog who nipped anyone who got near his carer and didn't like children and he actually took the dog for a walk around the park near children and desensitised it. People in the park probably thought he was a little mad!

I am still trying to absorb all the things I learned and bought his books (even though he tends to just give them away) as I learn a lot by reading as well. But I can tell you that we came home and immediately put into practice his suggestions about greeting your over excited dogs and how to stop your dogs from barking at anything and everything and there is this amazing calmness in the house at present. Tempeh is whining a bit but the other two dogs have caught on immediately.

I wore my Peiradise t-shirt and went over to say thank you before we left and he told me his wife started teaching him to read late last year and he discovered that God and Devil spelt backwards is Dog Lived! He was also asking me about being a foster carer and I told him that a little piece of my heart goes off to a new home with each one that is adopted and how ungrateful pei can be, not even looking back to say goodbye. But he made me realise that without foster carers these dogs wouldn't be ready to even find a new home. And that's true. Even if I never finished all the training or behavioural work I wanted to do with a dog before it found a forever home it still needed me to get it on the right pathway back to good health, able to trust again and open to a new family. He reckons the dog never forgets a person who did the right thing by it but I have been snubbed by at least two ex-fosters!

The other thing I liked is that he said that every dog is individual and should be treated as such. Certainly there are commonalities but each dog has different ways of testing whose the boss so it is those issues that need to be addressed individually. Makes sense to me as our three are completely different in temperament and personality and different things have different values to them.

Has anyone else seen him and used any of his suggestions?

I bought two - What's Your Dog Telling You and What's Your Dog Teaching You. He also has another called The Dog Man and I think is in discussions to write an autobiography. His wife Lee said the best book of his was What's Your Dog Telling You.

Also for anyone involved in rescue they offer free advice sheets if you email or message them through FB.

It is still quiet and calm around here!

Not long after I brought my pup home a neighbour loaned me his first book. I didn't read it for about a month but the one thing that sticks in my mind was his method of deterring and settling exuberant pups by folding arms, breaking eye contact and standing tall. It worked every time for me :thumbsup:

The first book was titled "The Dog Man". I bought his second book "What's Your Dog Telling You?" it was very similar to the first one but without the 'colourful' language!

They are both very basic, and he's possibly not in the same league as the well-known behaviourists and trainers we all know.

If anyone wants my copy of "What's your dog teaching you" you are welcome to it. Send me a PM.

I found it the book equivalent of the 30second grab, quite boring and offering very simplistic solutions to some deeply ingrained problems (in the people not the dogs LOL).

That said, I am sure he is an amazing person IRL.

Have read his first book, and my only comment would be- he does simplify his message- but it makes it easier for (simpletons like me) people to understand.

That does involve a level of 'dumbing down' but he does make a huge amount of sense. Actually it completely changed my relationship with my sisters terrier x- I suddenly understood her subtle 'little dog' control shenanigans. I bought his book for her (my sis) as a Christmas pressie, but read it first! A lovely intelligent man who adores dogs- but like all advice, should always be assessed through your own 'glasses' and interpreted as you see fit, for your own dogs :)

He's a great guy, I've spoken to him a few times now, read one of his books as well. I'm not all about dominant theory but I think his information about body language is very relevant to anyone.

I have been a fan of McKenna for 15 yrs. He keeps it simple and tells it in an engaging way. None of us are ever going to agree with everything put out there but his stuff is great for every day Joe & Jane.

I was talking to his wife Lee and she had not heard of the Amichien Bonding methods that I use (because they work for our pack) but then she asked was it the same as Jan Fennell (it is) so they are not professing to be highly educated experts but having seen him in action I can't fault his understanding of dog language - we had a real mix of dogs and behaviours at the event.

I started reading the teaching book last night and found it blah so then I read the telling book and found it much more interesting and useable. Having also seen him on You Tube videos I wondered if he was a bit of a knob but in person he just has so much presence and soul. I can't describe it any other way. There were only maybe 15 of us and 10 dogs so it was a very intimate experience.

My household is still incredibly calm and quiet. We usually have lots of barking because the dog across the road is always in our yard. Each time the dogs have barked we have investigated (calmly but with intent) and thanked the dogs for alerting us. If they barked again we have said 'enough. Any more barking and we make a noise with our tongues on the roof of our mouths and sort of snorting out of our noses. Immediate end of any noise. Apparently that is a noise a mother dog will make to a pup to tell them to stop bothering her.

Tempeh at night is often up and down off the lounge like she can't find a spot she likes and whining about it. She will also crawl over us and the other dogs in an effort to find the perfect spot. We realised she is always trying to find the highest spot. So we just nudged her off her little Queenie perch whenever she did it last night and my sister and I would do exaggerated yawns while looking away and keeping our chins up high and also doing slow blinking. Nearly every time Tempeh would shake and after only about half an hour of this she found a spot on the lounge at the same level to the other dogs and went to sleep. This technique is meant to tell her that we are not interested so not to bother us and just relax. And as she is our hungriest dog she usually gets her food put down first. Last night she got fed last (as that is her spot in the pack) and there was not one issue with doing it. We always thought she would want to run to the first bowl that went down and cause havoc but that was not the case. She also wanted to go in and out quite a bit last night (gecko spotting) and instead of getting up and calling her back in we decided not to waste our time and left her to tap on the door when she wanted back in, while not rushing ourselves to do so because we are more important.

I love trying little things like this and seeing how the dogs respond and already we have had some positive changes. I honestly can't believe how quiet the house is - no barking and no elephants running through the house. And my sister and I can also see how much turf we have been giving to our little Doodle-Bug but we're taking it back!

Meant to ask Sas and Skyefool what techniques of his have worked for you or did you find interesting? I'm sure he does oodles of other little things which aren't in his books. I know he was sharing spit with one dog and rubbing his hair on another (sharing calm scents) and his simply ways of stopping a dog protecting an owner did not seem to be in the telling book, although I haven't done a thorough read.

Great to hear that experience!

I think he is an honest and aware person who communicates much more effectively using the tools of speech and body language rather than print :)

The guy only learnt to read and write recently so he has always been an oral storyteller rather than an author.

I hadn't heard of him, but just watched some youtube and i like what he does, he explains it in easy to see ways. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure growling at my 5 yr old female BT when she tries to mouth will work though, but for pups it did seem to work.

Last night all the dogs settled without any jostling from Temp. Still no barking and way less pushing for attention from any of them. I'm loving it! The hardest thing for me is not rubbing anyone's chest because I think it is so soft and they seem to love it but seems they all quite like butt scratches as well (yuck for under my nails though).