Toby Was Attacked Today :(

*kirty*

Sorry to hear this, how terrifying, could have been so much worse.

It is ludicrous that the RSPCA will rehome DA dogs and yet no Italian Greyhound can ever pass their test when they are pretty much the most gentle of breeds. I can't believe that DA is an acceptable trait, it is irresponsible.

I hope the parents in this case learned their lesson. Trouble is there are a million more stupid owners out there.

Due to the idiots who own bull breeds in this area, i'm pretty much forced to stay home with my dogs, can't even walk them around the block any more. Sick to the back teeth of it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirty I am sorry for what happened to you and Toby - I hope with time you heal both physically and emotionally.

I remember seeing my old stafford attached twice, it is a pretty horrible experience.

Being an idiot bull breed owner, I can still sympathise with you and Toby..

I'm sorry this has happened to you and Toby and I'm glad she is ok, I shudder to think what would have happened if it was Jolie. It is frightening and I take a stick when I walk mine too as being muzzled they are at risk from offlead dogs and I will do what I have to to protect them.

Staffyluv, you're not an idiot bull breed owner!!

Pailin, I felt for the little girl too and when the owner spoke to me I asked if she was ok. She had grazed hands but luckily was all rugged up for the footy so wasn't hurt anywhere else.

Thanks guys, its nice to get it off my chest to people who understand how frightening and upsetting it is. As I said, this is the third times one of my dogs has been attacked in public, and each time we were minding our own business at the time. Really shakes your confidence when taking the dogs out.

I don't know why any parent lets any small child hold any dog - even little ones can get away from small kids.

I watched in horror today as a known DA Sibe at training was being held by the owners 6 year - got loose and attacked a goldy that was tied to a fence.

The Sibes owner took her sweet time going to get her girl as she was training her male Sibe (who in contrast is very dog social)..

Big poodley hugs to Toby from my lot Kirty...xx

Most humans are soooo "doggy illiterate " unfortunately when I am out I assume all dogs are aggressive to other dogs......maybe I have worked with too many dogs with beh probs!......

Hope Toby and you both bounce back soon. Std poodles are pretty tough!!

As you have just followed my post, I'm guessing that you are misinterpreting what I have said.

I am surrounded by bull breed owners who let their dogs roam or can't contain them behind 2 feet fences - 2 pitbulls, 1 amstaff and 2 staffies who are known to be DA. I think they are a lot worse than idiots, I just can't say that on a forum.

Just saw another terrible story on the news about attacking dogs - wounds so bad that the paramedics were shocked - all I saw was the dogs being poled, can't find it on news.com. Looked like bull breeds I'm sorry to say.

Edited by dogmad

I had a similar, but not nearly as bad, thing happen to me yesterday morning.

I was walking my Golden at the local park when two women arrived with, and I am not Staffy bashing, but it was a Staffy cross. I have encountered this dog before and I know they don't have control of him so I was heading home when the dog came charging towards me. I don't know how he got off the lead. The approx 18 yr old girl was running after him calling him, but at no time did he pay any attention to her. I made my dog sit and told her to stay, as she loves other dogs and is inclined to leap all over them. The other dog was running round and round us but my dog stayed calm, finally the girl ran up and said he only wanted to play, but she still couldn't catch him. I positively hissed at her "you really should have him on a leash" , then playing dog started to growl. I then hissed " you really are putting my dog in a bad position" because my dog was starting to circle around because the dog was coming up behind her. The girl kept saying sorry and finally managed to chase her dog away, she never managed to catch him.

I know this doesn't really constitute an attack but why can't people with dogs they can't control just keep them on a leash !

Unfortunately dogmad, it's the same in this area. Being a big pig chasing town, LOTS of bogans own these bullmastiff bully type dogs! However, it's so great to see a young boy here with a Dane x bull mastiff bringing him to obedience classes! Is the most dopey well socialized dog ever! Hopefully those types will be the ones we see more of, but unfortunately, I'm not holding too much hope!

Kirty - bloody hell my sympathies on what must have been a traumatic experience.

I really do feel for that child as well. I hope that has taught her parents a lesson. If they've had the dog long enough to be taking the dog to classes, then they certainly knew better than to do this.

I don't know about carrying a stick to be honest. I think there's a risk of translating your anxiety through to Toby and really I think it's best to put on a face that says 'we're good, we're safe, nothing to worry about here' to give Toby the best chance of bouncing back quickly. But having said that I really do understand the thinking behind it, as it is so difficult to defend your dog in these circumstances.

I think your advice to take the dog back to the RSPCA was pretty sensible. The dog sounds a real handful and they don't sound like they have the skills or experience to manage it. And with young kids in the house as well...

Zug Zug, the reason I want to carry a stick is more to protect my small dogs. If it had been my Iggy today, she could have been killed. I try not to be anxious around other dogs but it is very hard - the last time Champa was attacked it took me a very long time to feel confident walking them again. :(

I have three kids so i hear my fair share of 'mum, can i hold the dog's lead?'. I don't get why people don't just clip two leads on to their dog, that way mum or dad is still in control and the little people feel like they are helping, it's not rocket science!

Hope your baby is feeling better :)

As you have just followed my post, I'm guessing that you are misinterpreting what I have said.

I am surrounded by bull breed owners who let their dogs roam or can't contain them behind 2 feet fences - 2 pitbulls, 1 amstaff and 2 staffies who are known to be DA. I think they are a lot worse than idiots, I just can't say that on a forum.

Just saw another terrible story on the news about attacking dogs - wounds so bad that the paramedics were shocked - all I saw was the dogs being poled, can't find it on news.com. Looked like bull breeds I'm sorry to say.

Yes I just saw that on the news too :( The injuries were so bad the mans heart was almost peirced WTF!!

Good grief - do people have no sense - I won't even let my 2 kids walk my 2 dogs around the streets because the kelpie can be aggressive to other dogs and the hound is too big. They take the leashes when we walk across the oval in the morning AFTER I have checked for other dogs and if I see another dog I take the leashes back. And my 2 kids are 14 and 11 :eek:

Sending hugs to you and Toby

So sorry - Toby might need some friendly dogs to play with for a while.

The loveliest most dog friendly slug/dog at our training is a Staffy (PB) and the dodgiest used to be a GSD but since she stopped coming (now breeding nervy pups) the least trustworthy is a mini poodle!

The oval where my nephews play soccer has signs up saying there's a study being made of dogs at the park and it's very likely they'll be banned due to people not picking up poo (they have to go over the fields before play) and anti-social dogs causing fights. So sad, because there are also many good dogs and owners enjoying the chance to be together :(

I have three kids so i hear my fair share of 'mum, can i hold the dog's lead?'. I don't get why people don't just clip two leads on to their dog, that way mum or dad is still in control and the little people feel like they are helping, it's not rocket science!

Hope your baby is feeling better :)

That's exactly what we do every morning, both dogs on a proper short lead with me heeling and then a second lead on doof's collar and the girlchild holds it while she sits in the pram. Sooo easy and sooo much safer-the only time she holds a lead by herself is if we are inside and she wants to "walk" doof around the lounge room!

That would have been terrifying. Hopefully they take your advice :hug: hope you are all ok