Collar & Lead Training

smashtank

How do you guys have success with your pups and getting them used to collars and leads?

Tank scratches his collar like crazy (not ideal seeing as it is a $50 leather collar :laugh: ). I try getting him to relax and stop him and then reward with treats but he just starts up again.

When I just tried putting a lead on him too he went nuts - just tried chewing it constantly. He would walk, but only with the lead in his mouth and then if we stop walking, he goes nuts trying to chew his lead and nothing I do stops him. I try and hold him in one place but that doesn't seem to help he just wriggles like nuts.

Any tips?

I put them on around the house and let them get used to it, just having it on and dragging the lead around at first.

It's a new sensation so it takes them a bit to get used to. Once they realise the collar and lead doesn't bite, It's a bit easier to actually start walking them on it.

I start by putting on the collar before they get a meal ;) No collar- no meal .

Then, while I'm watching.. I just leave it on..... for a couple of hours to start with ....yes, they roll, and scratch .. but after a few days are much more settled.

leads are ALWAYS chain ones to start with .. so there is NO lead chewing/carrying from day one.

Once again go slowly .... use mealtimes.. or treats ..or a trip out to the backyard ..or a new toy :) I do not let them drag a lead .. they can get scared ... (or chew)

I clip on the lead ..offer a meal or favourite toy, and walk a couple of steps, calling pup ... when they come .. they get rewarded.

repeat , repeat , repeat .

I always start out with a light weight collar. I've only had one dog that had an issue with their collar when I initially put it on as a puppy(Kaos - who got aggro and tried to attack his collar!), the others I put it on and maybe they scratched it a bit but they soon got used to it. I can't remember what I did with Kaos - probably put it on for short periods and then left it on. With leads, I also start with a light weight lead, let them drag it around, off you go. Use treats to distract them.

So glad Cleo came to me with a collar on and willing to walk on lead.

But I too would take it slow and encourage good behavior and use distraction. Put the collar on and treat if he ignores it. Then try to wait longer between treating. Build it up until you no longer need to treat (obviously this would work if he was so focused on you and the food that the collar becomes nothing). Do similar for lead training, clip lead on and treat. Walk short distance and treat. Etc.

We bought a collar for Banjo the day after he came home and put it on him - he objected quite strongly but we just ignored it and after about half an hour he was used to it - his collar stays on all the time - it's only lightweight. He doesn't like the lead much though and like Tank wants to carry it around in his mouth but we have only been walking around the house and backyard - he is much better when we are at puppy preschool - I think because there are lots of other things for his attention rather than just the lead - so I am hoping next week once he is "safe" to take out for a walk he will walk nicely. Not sure what the answer is for Tank - maybe you could spray some of that nasty tasting stuff on his lead to deter him from wanting to have it in his mouth??

Our puppy preschool trainer suggested putting citronella on the lead on the part that they chew. I tried it for our boy, but he seemed to pretty much keep chewing :) Might work for some others though. It sounds like I need to get a chain lead this weekend.

He's always been ok with his collar though - he'll scratch a bit but doesn't get particularly upset. I put his first tags on last night, and now he jingles! It's very cute!

Maybe being leather, it is just too heavy for him. I wouldn't be putting a $50 leather collar on a new pup. Go with something cheap & lighter & introduce it like the others have said. But I would be getting rid of a heavy leather collar. What breed of pup is he ????

Maybe being leather, it is just too heavy for him. I wouldn't be putting a $50 leather collar on a new pup. Go with something cheap & lighter & introduce it like the others have said. But I would be getting rid of a heavy leather collar. What breed of pup is he ????

+ 100000

I started with a kitten collar, then progressed to a kitten harness before she was big enough for a puppy harness.

And I'd never put an adversive like citronella on a collar or lead, even to stop them chewing. You want them to like it, not for it to have anything negative attached.

Maybe being leather, it is just too heavy for him.

Another +1 for this. My puppy's first collar was a really skinny lightweight one, he'd scratch at it a little but didn't bother him too much. It's just a new sensation they have to get used to... like when you wear a new ring and it feels weird at first. Our first leash was quite lightweight too.

Maybe being leather, it is just too heavy for him.

Another +1 for this. My puppy's first collar was a really skinny lightweight one, he'd scratch at it a little but didn't bother him too much. It's just a new sensation they have to get used to... like when you wear a new ring and it feels weird at first. Our first leash was quite lightweight too.

Another +1 :D I know some breeders start by just putting a circle of thin, easily tearable paper around a puppy's neck (~5 weeks? I forget), sometimes working up to something slightly heavier, which sets a good foundation for when they get proper collars at their new homes. Probably a good idea if Tank's being particularly obstinate about his collar.

Hmmm... Okay I'll get a cheap crap one for now. He's a Frenchie.

I was thinking along the same lines as the others except being a Frenchie, I'd assume his fur is rather thin & if the collar has sharp edges that could be why he's constantly scratching it. When I 1st got my JS, I know he had a lot of fur around his neck, I had a cheap leather collar with sharp edges so I filed them down so as not to cut his fur.

• 2 weeks later...

So just to update. Tank's been walking since Saturday. He now sits as soon as I grab his lead or collar (I think he knows it means walk time). While we're walking he barely scratches his collar and he barely pays attention to his lead. He'll have a nip at it occasionally, but I seem to be able to just give it a shake and he drops it out of his mouth and carries on walking. I've been using a thin rubber collar for some walks and his nice leather collar for others. It doesn't seem to matter to him which one. Likewise I have a chain lead and a leather lead and it doesn't seem to matter what I use. He walks really well outside - always beside or behind and no running ahead/pulling! :thumbsup:

Seems pretty good when we walk past other dogs - he does stop and is really alert but he doesn't bark or rush or pull on his lead (the lead isn't loose though - I keep it pretty tight but he doesn't pull against it or move around). I hope he gets to the point where he just ignores other dogs, but at the moment he seems fine. I try not to let him meet other dogs on lead in case something goes wrong and he can't run away.