Longevity

Blackdogs

I agree genetics is number 1. But it is interesting that some people mention diet and human grade food - I used to think so but like the OP I have known some very long lived healthy dogs who had been fed low quality diets their whole lives. Really, really crappy diets for some of them. But still lived well passed average age.

The only common denominator amongst them was very regular exercise, and not being allowed to get fat, which has become something I rate more highly as a result. I still feed a good diet of course, but I am not sure it is as important as exercise in helping them live longer? Not for the big dogs anyway.

Yes, I agree. I know of two dogs who had a diet of Pal and freddo frogs and lived till they were 15 or so :confused: :laugh:

I agree genetics is number 1. But it is interesting that some people mention diet and human grade food - I used to think so but like the OP I have known some very long lived healthy dogs who had been fed low quality diets their whole lives. Really, really crappy diets for some of them. But still lived well passed average age.

The only common denominator amongst them was very regular exercise, and not being allowed to get fat, which has become something I rate more highly as a result. I still feed a good diet of course, but I am not sure it is as important as exercise in helping them live longer? Not for the big dogs anyway.

Yes, I agree. I know of two dogs who had a diet of Pal and freddo frogs and lived till they were 15 or so :confused: :laugh:

And that would mean that their genes were okay with that :laugh:

Genetics aside, what do you think is the single most important environmental factor affecting canine longevity?

I used to think it was nutrition, until I met several healthy aged dogs who were fed 'substandard' food.

What do you think?

dont know where to find the link, but some chap did an experiment with a large group of related dogs in which HD was known to affect a significant percentage. he divided the pups over fed one group and sustance fed the second group. the second goup developed 1/4 less HD affected and lived 4 to 5 years longer and equally later arthrtis onset.

a realy eye opener of how significant diet is after all to what has been for so long solely genetic.

dont know where to find the link, but some chap did an experiment with a large group of related dogs in which HD was known to affect a significant percentage. he divided the pups over fed one group and sustance fed the second group. the second goup developed 1/4 less HD affected and lived 4 to 5 years longer and equally later arthrtis onset.

a realy eye opener of how significant diet is after all to what has been for so long solely genetic.

so that argues calories restriction/being kept lean is positively associated with longevity, rather than a 'high quality' diet per se? I think that fits with what I am thinking - that not over-feeding is maybe the most important bit of diet thse days.

I recently came upon an 18 year old small dog who was bright, alert and had no sign of arthritis. I asked the owner what they fed their dog and was told that the dog had only eaten spaghetti bolognaise for its entire life. Every day.

I recently came upon an 18 year old small dog who was bright, alert and had no sign of arthritis. I asked the owner what they fed their dog and was told that the dog had only eaten spaghetti bolognaise for its entire life. Every day.

Ha! Human Food! laugh.gif

Although seriously, Diva's post about lean animals living longer reminded me of something that my long gone father said thirty years ago - 'You're reducing that cats lifespan by overfeeding him' - I didn't think I was and he lived to 14 but I'm certainly coming around to your way of thinking Diva and that there is probably something in keeping them lean. smile.gif Certainly my vet is a huge believer in lean pets and weight control as he says our pets are getting fatter as we are and developing similar health problems.

Now I'm prepared to get shot down, but our dogs haven been long lived one lived to nearly 18 and when I was really poor she ate home brand kibble so I could afford to keep her and me fed!

We live on acerage and we seem t have dogs live to the top end. ATM a chi who's 15 and we thought he was finished 3 times bit each time he just had a rest and got up as if never happened.

so that argues calories restriction/being kept lean is positively associated with longevity, rather than a 'high quality' diet per se? I think that fits with what I am thinking - that not over-feeding is maybe the most important bit of diet thse days.

Effects of diet restriction on life span and age-related changes in dogs

Richard D. Kealy, PhD; Dennis F. Lawler, DVM; Joan M. Ballam, MS; Sandra L. Mantz; Darryl N. Biery, DVM, DACVR; Elizabeth H. Greeley, PhD; George Lust, PhD; Mariangela Segre, DSc; Gail K. Smith, DVM, PhD, DACVS; Howard D. Stowe, DVM, PhD

An amazing study that followed 50+ Labs in controlled conditions over 12 years or so...the diet restricted group fared a lot better than the control groupl.

p.s. I notice that the link above has gone 404. Try this one

https://www.avma.org/News/Journals/Collections/Pages/AVMA-Collections-Obesity-in-dogs-summary.aspx

Edited by sandgrubber

Exposure to modern chemicals and weather are big determining factors. Dogs use to live a lot longer on "lesser quality" diets before the invention of dog food and before our environment and food chain became affected by chemicals. Dogs in cold climates also seem to outlive those of the same breed here. Our hot summers really knock the oldies around and shorten their lives by a couple of years.

IMHO I think it depends on a combination of lots of thing's. Good genes are a must to start with. Then, climate, nutrition, exercise. I think these are a few f actors that help keep them in really good overall health.

Keep your dog on a good diet, don't over feed. Regular exercise but not too much hard work. Don't allow them to over heat. etc

Just avoid extremes with them in short.

Edited by BC Crazy