Almost 12yo Greyhound Needs Home Or Rescue Asap

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going really well. He seems a little confused about where to be and what to do.

He seems to want to spend a lot of time outside, but it is too cold!!!! So he has been inside with a fire going all day. He slept really well last night and went out for a toilet break this morning. He is very house trained!

No issues with the cats at all, only the occasional growl when someone goes near him when he is sleeping. It seems mostly contained to Pepe

How much food does a greyhound eat? I asume that becaiuse he weighs around some weight as Charlie (29kg) that he would eat roughly the same amount of food.

He's obviously not been in a house with sliding glass doors as he has donked himself twice walking into them

So far, absolutely no trouble at all to have around

He's going really well. He seems a little confused about where to be and what to do.

He seems to want to spend a lot of time outside, but it is too cold!!!! So he has been inside with a fire going all day. He slept really well last night and went out for a toilet break this morning. He is very house trained!

No issues with the cats at all, only the occasional growl when someone goes near him when he is sleeping. It seems mostly contained to Pepe

How much food does a greyhound eat? I asume that becaiuse he weighs around some weight as Charlie (29kg) that he would eat roughly the same amount of food.

He's obviously not been in a house with sliding glass doors as he has donked himself twice walking into them

So far, absolutely no trouble at all to have around

All good so far :thumbsup: Everything crossed that it continues so well. He is on a good wicket, so I am sure that he will lap up the good life. :D

Aaaaaw bless the old man, he's certainly landed on all four paws at yours WP :)

What do you usually feed your guys? As in kibble/raw/cooked. Stan and Maddie get 1 cup of kibble AM with either a chicken wing or a spoon of natural yoghurt/ cottage cheese. At night they get 1 cup of kibble with 250gms of raw, Stan has roo cause he's a fatty boom bah and Maddie gets chicken cause she's a skinny minny. They get lamb flaps(briskets) a couple of times a week and once a week instead of meat they get tinned tuna/mackeral or sardines with scrambled egg. I cook some pumpkin or sweet potato sometimes and mix that in as well.

He looks to me like he needs some weight on those bones but hopefully some knowledgable sighthound peeps will come in and give you some advice.

He did tolerate Pepe going into his crate today and sitting next to him so I think it is only when he is asleep he gets cranky? Honestly it is something we can easily work with by crating when we can't supervise closely. He is fine in the crate, he just took himself back in :)

My guys get kibble and dog roll. Sometimes they get eggs if the girls have been laying well. I am thinking we might starting cooking up chicken, rice and veg and serve that with kibble?

They said he was very under weight when he arrived and they have started to put some weight back on him. He also had flea dermatitis over his rump but that seems to be sorting itself out

I feel so sad for him, I think he is missing his human. I wish you could take them to see their old owner in the hospital / nursing home :( I think he would like that

is he still skinny at 29 kilos's? I would think he would need the equivelent of at least 3 cups of dry food. My 34 kilo bitch gets 4 cups a day if that is all she gets. Otherwise she gets around 400 grams of minced chicken carcasses and a cup and a bit of dry. If he needs more weight try porridge. Even a couple of teaspoons of an added oil to his food would help with his weight.

Mostly when greys are unsure they do "retreat" into themselves a bit. As he settles you will see a big difference in him.

When we've had really underweight dogs (or just dogs in poor condition), I've found a few things that really seem to help with the weight- I wouldn't feed vegetables or grains, for a start. I know a lot fo people like to feed their dogs rice/pasta with cooked vegetables and chicken but there's not much nutrition in that, especially not that a greyhound can get out of it.

I don't really feed much kibble but if you do prefer to use it, be mindful of ingredients because they can lose condition on it and in my experience, it never makes for a pleasant-smelling grey. I do keep a bit of ToTW around in case of emergencies but even that makes them a bit gassy with just one meal of it. The only kibble that I've tried and loved was Ziwipeak but this is very expensive. With our last skinny dog, I used one scoop of Ziwipeak in with her other food to encourage her to eat. I've yet to have a hound turn down the Ziwipeak and would feed mostly that if I were made of money :p

To get weight on, a mince of beef (including some fat), kangaroo and chicken frames (or whole chicken frames, if he can still chew) works well. Add a teaspoon of Livamol to that twice a week and it'll help bring his coat up, too. At his age, you might also want to add a joint powder, fish oil and vitamin E.

Having him warm will also really help keeping the weight on him. A cold dog is burning energy just to stay warm and they also tend to get kennel coat anyway if left cold. I'm probably a tad over the top because it gets so cold down here but at the moment, most of my guys are wearing fleece pajamas with a lightweight fleece coat over that and then a small wool coat over the top of that. I use two ways of checking how warm they are- feel their ears, these should be roughly the same temp as your own hands when the dog is inside. The other way is to put your hand down the back of the neck, it should feel quite warm in there (warmer than your own hands). There are also behavioural ways of telling: a cold hound will curl up very tightly in the bed whereas a warm hound tends to roach a bit more.

He may be unused to other dogs waking him up if he was an only dog. Some of my foster greys have been like that at first but they quickly get used to it.

I'm so glad he's got a great home.

From my limited experience, I have found that sighthounds have a strong startle reflex - that may explain the reaction if woken. If he's been kennelled as race dog and then an only dog, having other dogs around while he's asleep will also be new to him.

Welcome to the world of sighthounds Winterpaws! :)

He may be unused to other dogs waking him up if he was an only dog. Some of my foster greys have been like that at first but they quickly get used to it.

Now you mention it kdf when I first satrted fostering I had and information book to help me. One of the points for ex-race dogs was the startle reflex that HW mentioned. I remember waking up one night and tried to push Stan over in bed :o and he growled at me, just not used to being woken in a deep sleep. As you said he's fine with it now, he's used to me shoving his big butt over he just groans now :laugh:

Now you mention it kdf when I first satrted fostering I had and information book to help me. One of the points for ex-race dogs was the startle reflex that HW mentioned. I remember waking up one night and tried to push Stan over in bed :o and he growled at me, just not used to being woken in a deep sleep. As you said he's fine with it now, he's used to me shoving his big butt over he just groans now :laugh:

In kennels they're usually woken up long before anyone has a chance to actually touch them. It's especially not fun in the dark in the middle of the night.

I usually wake up like this ---> :eek: :laugh:

Edited by kdf

In kennels they're usually woken up long before anyone has a chance to actually touch them. It's especially not fun in the dark in the middle of the night.

I usually wake up like this ---> :eek: :laugh:

:laugh: I just had a look for the book, it's been a while I must've thrown it out but it made sense. Everything is so regimented in a racing greys life in the kennels that adjusting to life on the lounge can take a bit of getting used to. Although Bob has been a pet for a while I guess his old age and his latest journey from home to shelter to new home would have the old boy a tad confused.