Dewclaws

Just curious.... :)

Moose doesn't have front (or rear) dewclaws, Nacho and Zoe both have front ones. Is it likely they were removed or that he was born without them? I can't tell by looking.

I put it on this board rather than general as I'm aware that some breeders have them removed for (perceived?) health reasons.

Probably removed. All dogs have front dew claws so those at least would have been removed. Only some dogs get rear dew claws and they are usually removed because they can get caught on things and tear off.

All our previous Pointers had dew claws removed by the breeder, except our last Pointer. Mum's Cav X JR and my Kelpie still have their front dew claws, both partially broke their's recently, but they grew back normal in no time. :)

Interesting. :) So it would be rare for a dog to be born without dewclaws at all?

I'll check Nacho again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have rear ones.

It would be rare for any dog to be born without front dew claws, but many breeds dont have back ones, and then some breeds have 2 back ones! so they have 6 toes on each back foot!

Jeune has back dew claws with hang by a bit of flesh. I have tossed up from time to time having them removed, but invariably forget because she rarely needs goes to the vet except for annual vax. Although they dangle there (a bit like tags LOL) they don't seem to get caught on anything or inconvenience her. She does have a problem with one of her front ones breaking from time to time though.

I've have to check the others to see what they have.

I did a DC count this morning and both Zoe and Nacho definitely only have front ones. Zoe is from a pet shop so it's doubtful her back ones were removed and I don't think Nacho's breeder would have had it done.

If you can't see a scar, then whoever took them off did a great job.

Well I don't think I can see one anyway, hard to tell as that's just how he has always been. I've compared his legs with Nacho's and where I think the dewclaws would have been I can't see anything, unless that slightly thinning area is scar tissue. What do you think? :)

His inner right leg:

20130602_115827-1_zps2f16a713.jpg