Neighbourhood Wandering Dog.

Pailin

There is a dog in our neighbourhood that is ALWAYS out wandering. It used to be two dogs, one Border Collie mix and another Staffy- Bull breed type mix and when approached the staffy type would charge at you growling which was intimidating and prevented me from catching either of them. The collie on the other hand is very nervous and submissive...

Anyhow I noticed the BC out by himself quite a lot recently, have no idea what happened to the other dog, so today as I was pulling up at home after dropping the kids at school I noticed he was out AGAIN and I had the time to coax him to me (the border collie). He seems to be a lovely dog once he realised that I wasn't a threat and absolutely basked in some pats and rub downs. He has a collar on but no tags, which given how frequently he escapes seems bloody slack on the owners part, and he is absolutely infested with fleas. HUGE freaking fleas. I felt so bad for him I was seriously tempted to bath him but instead I asked my neighbour if she knew what house he came from and I walked him home.

There was nobody home when I got there but the gate was WIDE open- nothing wrong with it just looks like someone has opened it or left it open, and there was another gate, a double gate, that was obviously his usual escape route as they had tried to nail it shut with a board and had a bit of chicken wire in front of it trying to block the gap from where he pushes it open. Even at a glance you could tell it was completely ineffectual. I popped the dog in, shut the 2 bolts on the good gate, tried to shut the other gates gap as much as possible and left a note on their door letting them know that I found and returned him and that I would be surrendering him to the pound next time I found him out and to please treat his flea infestation (bossy/rude/judgmental I know but it was BAD- I haven't seen one that bad in a long time).

Not even an hour later he is at my front door all waggily bummed. This time he definitely escaped through the double gate gap where it was sagging open, I am fairly sure he pushes it until the gap is big enough and the simply jumps over the chicken wire mesh (that would only be hip height). So I grabbed some zip ties that I have laying around, walked him home and zip tied the gate shut at the middle. Seems to have done the trick, no amount of pushing will make it gap and it was a simple solution.

Now should I report this to the council? The inadequate fencing? They really need to fix their fence and should definitely have tags on him at least? If I see him out again should I return him or stick to my threat and surrender him? He is a LOVELY dog, he literally heeled whilst walking off leash when I directed him to and I am a perfect stranger to him...he obviously has a lot of potential. My neighbour has previously spoken to them (gotten into an argument with them) about the dog always being out and whilst there have obviously been attempts at blocking the gap they aren't effectual and the owners know it because I saw the man chasing his dog home not more than a week ago. The dog was out 3 times last week that I saw, I saw him out yesterday and then today twice already.

TIA

Edited by Pailin

I would report it to the council at least. What sort of area do you live in? If you are near busy roads he may get hit by a car or if you are in the country he may become interested in chasing someone's stock. Getting hit by a car would be my main concern if it were my dog...but some people just don't care.

I would take him to the pound. Or you might be able to get them to come and pick him up, but I can never get our local pound to do this.

IF he goes to the pound he will have a chance of finding a better home :)

Report the dog being out everything you see it. If they are concerned about he cost of fixing their fences then the fines from council might change their minds.

Our dogs got out about 8 years ago (we think the gardener must of not latched the gate properly) and they were picked up by a ranger. Cost us $150 to get them back and we were warned that the price goes up from there if they had to be collected again.

So maybe that will snap some sense into them.

Depends what your local pound is like. If they are the type to kill everything because it is easier than trying to re-home then I would probably give it a bit longer and try a few more times with notes in the letterbox. If the dog is flea ridden and wandering chances are the owners wouldn't bother reclaiming it from the pound if it was impounded. Its a hard one - you feel so sorry for the dog having such idiot owners. :(

I would also hand it in and let the pound staff know you would be interested in helping the dog if it goes unclaimed (read: willing to take the dog). If the dog ends up unclaimed you can take it home and surrender it to rescue. Maybe start making some enquiries here or with local rescues before you get that far to avoid being stuck with this dog (unless you actually intend on keeping it)

I would also hazard a guess that they will not bother to bail the dog out. there are extra fees if dogs are not de-sexed, chipped and council regoed.

Depends what your local pound is like. If they are the type to kill everything because it is easier than trying to re-home then I would probably give it a bit longer and try a few more times with notes in the letterbox. If the dog is flea ridden and wandering chances are the owners wouldn't bother reclaiming it from the pound if it was impounded. Its a hard one - you feel so sorry for the dog having such idiot owners. :(

This would be my worry. The local pound is the RSPCA Dakabin, 3 days is their holding period I think and I am not sure how he would go with their temp test. On the one hand he is very skittish and nervous but on the other hand he is a big love bug once he settles with you and he is a "breed" that is generally viewed as rehomable.

I would also hand it in and let the pound staff know you would be interested in helping the dog if it goes unclaimed (read: willing to take the dog). If the dog ends up unclaimed you can take it home and surrender it to rescue. Maybe start making some enquiries here or with local rescues before you get that far to avoid being stuck with this dog (unless you actually intend on keeping it)

I would also hazard a guess that they will not bother to bail the dog out. there are extra fees if dogs are not de-sexed, chipped and council regoed.

This would be a good option EXCEPT the last time I tried that, with an extremely emaciated but very sweet dog they basically, and very bluntly, told me that once I handed the dog over to them it was none of my business. They even refused to let me know the outcome when I rang up a couple of days later wondering what had happened to him and I was very understanding of the possibility that he may have been PTS due to health concerns surrounding his appalling state....they simply refused to tell me anything and told me to mind my own business.

I would like to put my name down for him- he really touched me and I really did feel a strong connection to him, however my own fences are in need of repair at the moment- awaiting my landlord (my girl is not a wanderer and has no interest in escape thankfully), I could not afford his adoption fee and I have a feeling that he is too high an energy dog and we wouldn't be able to accomodate his obvious high exercise needs.

This would be a good option EXCEPT the last time I tried that, with an extremely emaciated but very sweet dog they basically, and very bluntly, told me that once I handed the dog over to them it was none of my business. They even refused to let me know the outcome when I rang up a couple of days later wondering what had happened to him and I was very understanding of the possibility that he may have been PTS due to health concerns surrounding his appalling state....they simply refused to tell me anything and told me to mind my own business.

I would like to put my name down for him- he really touched me and I really did feel a strong connection to him, however my own fences are in need of repair at the moment- awaiting my landlord (my girl is not a wanderer and has no interest in escape thankfully), I could not afford his adoption fee and I have a feeling that he is too high an energy dog and we wouldn't be able to accomodate his obvious high exercise needs.

Doesn't sound like they would be helpful :( . Could you perhaps check out if any rescue groups would be prepared to take him and put the contact information in a note to the owners? They may be willing to get rid of him if it doesn't cost them money. A long shot I know with rescue groups under such stress but maybe be worth a try?

Poor boy :( "Owners “ like this annoy the hell out of me. Such a waste of a dog's life with someone like this.

I would take him to the pound I think or maybe try a rescue group?? No life for him atm, wandering around the streets in a flea ridden state.

Such a shame to hear stories like this. Hopefully he will find a family that will love & care for him.

Thanks for trying to help him Pailin. A lot wouldn't.

Edited by BC Crazy