Foster Carers Needed Urgently

I wonder if all the people who are sharing it on FB are aware that this is behind those cute little puppies in pet shop windows, and if it will have an impact on the general publics view of pet shop puppies.

I saw a brief news segment on The Project to-night. It referred to these dogs rescued from the puppy farm. Bless the commentary .... because they said the 'business' was to supply puppies to pet-shops. 'Say it again ... & again!' I thought.

On one of the local evening news reports (7 or 9 I think) they made a big point of it, saying more or less "think of this when you see pet shop puppies"

Edited by TheLBD

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And people should start by reading this recent research published in the American Veterinary Medical Association Journal.

Researchers compared later development of pet store & breeders' puppies. They found, by a big margin, that pet store puppies tend to have more problems, like being less psychologically sound overall.

Researchers rarely put commands to not do something at the end of their published work. But this time, they bluntly said that, given this problem, puppies shouldn't be bought from pet stores.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201305/behavior-differences-in-dogs-pet-stores-versus-breeders

Edited by mita

Most of the pictures I have seen are of Cockers, Cavaliers and the usual little fluffy types that pet shops love :(

I am between Grey fosters at the moment and have sent off my details but truly hope they are inundated with foster offers and every dog has a spot to go to.

The dogs appear to be getting released on a daily basis depending on vet assessments etc.

+ Pugs, Schnauzers - looked purebred also for those who seem to think only crossbreeds come from these places. Its good to see some media are highlighting the connection to pet shops. Shows like The Project can be hugely effective at getting the message out.

Do we know which rescue groups will be helping with fostering ?

At this stage, it looks like the dogs are going first to the RSPCA foster carers already on board - which makes sense. They asked for help from the wider community because they don't have enough carers. I suppose then they'll weed through the other applications and choose people. I don't think there will actually be any rescue groups on a whole. They need anyone - not necessarily a group.

Most of the pictures I have seen are of Cockers, Cavaliers and the usual little fluffy types that pet shops love :(

In the pic Gallery, there were also Japanese Chins & what looked like Bostons (or French Bulldogs.... I can never tell the difference).

So there may also be a sprinkling of the less common breeds among them. I'm trying to find out if there's any Tibbies.

I'm quite surprised to see the less common breeds. I would have thought Chins were quite tightly held as well?

All it takes is one (or two). I doubt all breeders desex puppies before selling them, so there you go. Just takes one undesexed puppy sold to the wrong person.

At this stage, it looks like the dogs are going first to the RSPCA foster carers already on board - which makes sense. They asked for help from the wider community because they don't have enough carers. I suppose then they'll weed through the other applications and choose people. I don't think there will actually be any rescue groups on a whole. They need anyone - not necessarily a group.

I'm of the understanding that PnH are taking in a number of the dogs.

thanks for reply

the reason was wanting names if possablie is because it has been mentioned a few times by Rspca that they wanted expereinced fosters

so friends wanted names to add to FB so can keep a watch out

I know a few groups but not all

Thanks

I'm of the understanding that PnH are taking in a number of the dogs.

PnH + = Paws and ?

I know have read it on here but cant remember for sure :(

Pic that says heaps from OL Facebook page. One of the first of the dogs got into foster-care last night. After a bath & a good meal.... a

relaxed start to a new life.

post-3304-0-83056500-1371034494_thumb.jpg

Aww that's so sweet. That's where they should be, not just in more cages :thumbsup:

Pic that says heaps from OL Facebook page. One of the first of the dogs got into foster-care last night. After a bath & a good meal.... a

relaxed start to a new life.

post-3304-0-83056500-1371034494_thumb.jpg

Little darling must think she is in heaven :)

Lovely pic.

Annabelle is an interesting looking dog... I wonder what her pups are crossed with? The markings look like Tenties or something but they could be anything. Pug x Frenchie x ?