Greyhounds!

Jellyblush

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GAP is careful with what greyhounds go to these type of events. They don't take the shy or nervous ones, would hardly be fair to the dog.

Yes, it was GAP greyhounds in Qld that my little dog tested. By the time they'd got up to that test, they'd already shown themselves as calm and sensible. It soon dawned on me .... they only selected dogs like that, in the first place.

The only grey which was twitchy & skittish.... stood out. Funnily, the little dog picked up something different when this grey was being led across the park to us. For the first time.... her tail went down. Turned out this was not a regular GAP grey, but one that'd been adopted from the RSPCA & needed to pass the GAP testing.

As for the GAP sourced greys .... they are among the best dogs of any breed I've met.

Edited by mita

Hi everyone, thanks for the brilliant advice. I am going very slowly on this as I want to get it right, now be a source of stress for either dog.

I think the idea to meet a few greys is fantastic. Roo has been tested having two other dogs come into her environment to stay and been fine, very docile and placid Goldens though. A higher energy dog might be different, plus it was a couple of years ago.

It may be that a bigger, calmer dog is the right one for me rather than a grey, I don't know. Advice to contact a mixed breed rescue is good also. I'll call a few and have a chat about options. I just wanted to get some views here because I felt it would be more impartial.

NicB I don't know what that confusion was about but PP mentioned Roo must have meant me!

All good Jelly :)

As I said the most important recomendation (all have offered) is finding a really fantastic reputable group who will match you and Roo really well. Quarentine is also very important and of course an open line of communication and support if/when you need it.

Greyhounds are "generally" a very laid back biddable breed to foster. If you are up front and honest (IMO you will be) re what you can offer personally and share/express Roo's needs you will be fine with a very reputable group :)

Meeting hounds and foster carers is great, you are taking the time to consider regadless of breed and I think that is great :)

I would only foster for GAP or GSN.

Eta in Victoria that is

Same, these are the only two groups in Vic that I would foster for. Gap are very thorough on their temp testing.

Also agree with Alyosha on some meet and greets with greys, see how Roo goes.

Hi everyone, thanks for the brilliant advice. I am going very slowly on this as I want to get it right, now be a source of stress for either dog.

I think the idea to meet a few greys is fantastic. Roo has been tested having two other dogs come into her environment to stay and been fine, very docile and placid Goldens though. A higher energy dog might be different, plus it was a couple of years ago.

It may be that a bigger, calmer dog is the right one for me rather than a grey, I don't know. Advice to contact a mixed breed rescue is good also. I'll call a few and have a chat about options. I just wanted to get some views here because I felt it would be more impartial.

NicB I don't know what that confusion was about but PP mentioned Roo must have meant me!

Hi

I think the right Grey would be great for Roo, I think they are the most laid back dogs you could ever wish to meet once they are comfortable, which really doesn't take that long. I have 5 and I have rescued and rehomed several more and I also work at a greyhound kennel, so have met a lot of greys and yes while some can be silly at exciting moments, particularly when they are young. They do settle down and become couch potatoes I have two (aka stupid 1 and stupid 2).

I have a Kelpie that isn't overly fond of dogs but she is actually very accepting of the greys being at her place. I believe that is because in most situations they would rather avoid a conflict than get into one.

As I was reading the help save my girl thread I did wonder if the right grey would be good for Roo to show her that your absence is no biggy and chilling out is the best way to get through the day, dogs learn alot off their pack be it human or dog. Fostering is a great way to find a suitable dog to see if it may help Roo. I have found the males generally to be calmer than the girls but that is a generalisation some girls I have known have been very calm and some boys silly.

I definately think it is worth a try.

I'd be looking for a nice laid back male as a Roo-companion... less chances of "bitchiness" if you get my drift. And I'd be looking at one young enough to play with Roo, but old enough to let her know when playtime is over - maybe 4 or 5 years old?

That said, the calmest and most laid back dog I've ever had was a big male Rotti... definitely a calming influence of my more "flighty" girls... he was definitely a lover, not a fighter, that's for sure!

T.

Sorry NicB, Jelly & Miss Roo, not Mr. LOL.

Had a few sleepless nights of late due to not being in the very best of health atm.

Lucky I knew what I meant cause no one else... :)

I knew what you meant BCC, hope you are on the mend and feeling much better soon :hug:

have you though of a rescue golden there are plenty of them too!

and I would think that they need foster carers too!

Eta in Victoria that is

This.

There are several newer groups in Victoria and although I'm sure they have good intentions, they don't have the knowledge or experience (and I've seen some shocking stuff posted on FB by those groups- like dogs going straight from trainers to foster carers without any testing or vet work).

The other issue, considering Roo's problems, will be making sure you get foster dogs that are stable enough in themselves not to cause you even more trouble. Some groups don't seem willing to accept input from foster carers about the sorts of dogs they can manage so you will need to be very clear about Roo's SA and what you can and can't handle. A good group should be willing to listen to make sure everyone is happy.

Anoth thing I'd suggest is to start with boys. In my experience, mixed sex pairs seem to have a better chance of getting along.

Eta in Victoria that is

This.

There are several newer groups in Victoria and although I'm sure they have good intentions, they don't have the knowledge or experience (and I've seen some shocking stuff posted on FB by those groups- like dogs going straight from trainers to foster carers without any testing or vet work).

The other issue, considering Roo's problems, will be making sure you get foster dogs that are stable enough in themselves not to cause you even more trouble. Some groups don't seem willing to accept input from foster carers about the sorts of dogs they can manage so you will need to be very clear about Roo's SA and what you can and can't handle. A good group should be willing to listen to make sure everyone is happy.

You just said very well what I was trying to say. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone :)

jellyblush, with a foster , what would happen when roo was at daycare?

Perse, the daycare would also take the foster, I thought. I wouldn't leave the foster alone at home. I thought they'd both go, the trainers at daycare are experienced with foster dogs as they foster themselves. Then, if things were settling down and over time it did transpire that the dogs were happy at home together I could drop from two to one days daycare. Roo x 2 days = same as 2 dogs x 1 day in terms of cost. I am working at home one day most weeks now and I can work at home for a full week if I bought a new dog into the home.

I don't know - maybe it's all too complicated and I'm too inexperienced and I'm clutching at straws? Sigh.

It was a suggestion earlier in the thread, I did contact Golden Retriever Rescue, filled out their questionairre and emailed it, but was rejected immediately. I guess they are popular dogs.

Perse, the daycare would also take the foster, I thought. I wouldn't leave the foster alone at home. I thought they'd both go, the trainers at daycare are experienced with foster dogs as they foster themselves. Then, if things were settling down and over time it did transpire that the dogs were happy at home together I could drop from two to one days daycare. Roo x 2 days = same as 2 dogs x 1 day in terms of cost. I am working at home one day most weeks now and I can work at home for a full week if I bought a new dog into the home.

I don't know - maybe it's all too complicated and I'm too inexperienced and I'm clutching at straws? Sigh.

It was a suggestion earlier in the thread, I did contact Golden Retriever Rescue, filled out their questionairre and emailed it, but was rejected immediately. I guess they are popular dogs.

If the dog will be going to daycare, too, it's even more important to make sure you only take on dogs that have been (small dog) tested by people who know what they're doing. A dog with high drive in an environment with lots of small, unfamiliar dogs is a horrible accident waiting to happen.

I think given the problems you've had with Roo, a stable, good tempered greyhound would be an absolute breeze to foster so although you do need to go slowly and keep your expectations realistic, you will probably find that they're not a challenge to care for. Currently, I have five greyhounds in my house and besides the "special" one who likes to stand next to my desk and just creepily touch things with his nose, they're kind of hard to notice- they spend most of their time moving between comfy sleeping spots.

Temperament is going to be very important in any foster dog, regardless of breed.

Oh bugger! I'm sure if you give Wendy or Trish a call and tell them that Tracey from NSW Animal Rescue referred you to them, and explained Roo's story - I'm sure they might be able to work something out. Don't be disheartened.

T.

Sorry NicB, Jelly & Miss Roo, not Mr. LOL.

Had a few sleepless nights of late due to not being in the very best of health atm.

Lucky I knew what I meant cause no one else... :)

Oh dear, hope you are feeling much better soon BC :hug:

No need to feel sorry, you should see my balls ups on DOL :laugh:

After Roo a Grey will be a walk in the park. Not being experienced enough to cope is the last thing you need to be worried about, greys are very easy to live with.

I agree with HA you don't even notice that you have 5 dogs I also have a 12 year old Kelpie and a 8 year old ACD I couldn't stand having 5 of them they would drive me nuts (unless I worked from home or didn't work). When the ACD came she was very stressed and was constantly pacing except when asleep. The greys calm demeanour has certainly helped her settle.

If the dog will be going to daycare, too, it's even more important to make sure you only take on dogs that have been (small dog) tested by people who know what they're doing. A dog with high drive in an environment with lots of small, unfamiliar dogs is a horrible accident waiting to happen.

I think given the problems you've had with Roo, a stable, good tempered greyhound would be an absolute breeze to foster so although you do need to go slowly and keep your expectations realistic, you will probably find that they're not a challenge to care for. Currently, I have five greyhounds in my house and besides the "special" one who likes to stand next to my desk and just creepily touch things with his nose, they're kind of hard to notice- they spend most of their time moving between comfy sleeping spots.

Temperament is going to be very important in any foster dog, regardless of breed.

Poor Boswey, he's not creepy :laugh:

Good to know - thanks.

besides the "special" one who likes to stand next to my desk and just creepily touch things with his nose

Hahaha! Excellent image!!

Oh bugger! I'm sure if you give Wendy or Trish a call and tell them that Tracey from NSW Animal Rescue referred you to them, and explained Roo's story - I'm sure they might be able to work something out. Don't be disheartened.

T.

Cheers very much T. I can see why Roo and I would be unattractive to a rescue with a high demand for their dogs. Not home every day, plus Roo's issues. But I'd still like to talk about it. One reason given for example was that I said Roo & I like to go jogging and this is bad for Golden's. Well, I'd be happy NOT to go jogging and walk instead- more than happy to adjust my life for a new dog. A chat would be great I think so I could explain things like that.

After Roo a Grey will be a walk in the park. Not being experienced enough to cope is the last thing you need to be worried about, greys are very easy to live with.

I agree with HA you don't even notice that you have 5 dogs I also have a 12 year old Kelpie and a 8 year old ACD I couldn't stand having 5 of them they would drive me nuts (unless I worked from home or didn't work). When the ACD came she was very stressed and was constantly pacing except when asleep. The greys calm demeanour has certainly helped her settle.

Thank you, that is very encouraging :)