Attempted Dog Kidnapping, Aldinga Beach

Mrs Rusty Bucket

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151682761294308&set=gm.480882108653643&type=1

Last Thursday - a man with a white van marked "animal control" with Vic plates, tried to abduct several Huskies claiming they needed to be "assessed".

Don't let anyone who won't id themselves put a pole with a snare loop anywhere near your dog. In fact I don't think I'd let anyone do that who didn't have police with and a proper warrant.

And then again - maybe not.

This just looks like the act of a straight up thief.

Anyone who finds the van ie a van with "animal control" and vic plates in SA - post on the facebook page and contact SA police.

maybe a facebook hoax as it looks a lot like this van in the UK----> http://www.hoax-slay...-stealing.shtml

The FB link goes to the group (Adelaide Malamute & Husky Owners) of the man it happened to posted in not a shared post, and has a lot more detail. It is frightenong that someone could be so brazen in the attempts to steal dogs.

yes it does certainly look legit, pretty scary!

There was a similar story being circulated that this was happening on the Gold Coast as well. Men in reflective type vests claiming to be council officers trying to impound people's dogs on the beach. Honestly you hear so many of these stories I have to wonder if some of them are an urban myth. I don't doubt that dogs are being stolen but with the stories going around of houses being "marked" with dots etc you have to think there must be an enormous number of dog fighting rings out there and yet very little in the news about them being exposed - where is it all taking place??

I was walking our two yesterday down one of the local streets. Just me and the two dogs, no hubby.

We were heading down towards the primary school and I notice a station wagon slowing down (coming towards us). As the wagon gets closer, it slows even more until it pulls up alongside us next to the nature strip.

The wagon stops for a few seconds and the driver is looking at us. He doesn't wind down the window or smile or say anything. Then he drives off. I thought it was odd but didn't think more of it.

With the Akita pup, we get heaps of people approach us but they always say something. He didn't say a peep.

Look it was probably all legit but plain weird all the same.

Well, we got a legit warning in our area some time back. Local police put a warning in the local paper. Some people were going around nicking small, attractive dogs from front yards. Pretty obviously for selling on. Back then microchipping wasn't mandatory.

Police advice was for people to keep dogs like this, away from easy access by thieves, in front yards.

I think it is always best to take precautions. I have a small cute dog and no way is he in the front yard when I am not with him and when I am out he is behind high locked gates. There are a lot of dogs that go missing and I couldn't stand not knowing what happened to him if he wasn't there when I got home. :(

It really seem ridiculous that someone would steal huskies when so many are available through Husky Rescues across the country. I honestly can't see someone buying an adult dog off said thieves for any money that would make the effort and risk worthwhile. Either way, someone who steals is a real scumbag and only the lowest of the low would steal a dog.

Maybe breeds other than Huskies might be attractive to thieves - dunno which ones - I would guess mini-schnauzers would be one that is targeted, but most sensible owners would keep them inside.

Maybe they are being used for fighting? That seems to be what a lot of thefts are about icon_smile_mad.gif

I'd hate to think you are right here, but this could well be the case. Again Huskies would be a poor choice for a fighting dog me thinks.

1371373307[/url]' post='6228380']
1371369379[/url]' post='6228345']

Maybe they are being used for fighting? That seems to be what a lot of thefts are about icon_smile_mad.gif

I'd hate to think you are right here, but this could well be the case. Again Huskies would be a poor choice for a fighting dog me thinks.

When it was happening last year all sorts of dogs were being taken, even littlies to be used as bait. That was the theory anyways. icon_smile_mad.gif

Fur is an interesting idea frown.gif

Well, we got a legit warning in our area some time back. Local police put a warning in the local paper. Some people were going around nicking small, attractive dogs from front yards. Pretty obviously for selling on. Back then microchipping wasn't mandatory.

Police advice was for people to keep dogs like this, away from easy access by thieves, in front yards.

Yet another good reason never to give a dog access to your front yard, if you're not there to supervise it.

I have also seen dogs tormented by passers-by, and of course the whole issue of passing dogs and barking issues.

It is hard if you have a corner block - but most of us have backyards and that is by far the safest place for the dogs to stay, when they can't be inside with us.

In terms of why they would steal these dogs - I presume for breeding. They would know that rescue dogs would be desexed.

I hope this is a hoax. Does seem very brazen. But our whippet was stolen from our front yard when I was a toddler - then later dumped when the einstein thieves worked out that she wasn't a greyhound puppy. They then threw her out the back of a moving truck, on a busy road. Luckily she was seen by the driver behind before running her over. He took her to the pound, and the people there knew my Dad and returned her to us (small town).

So, sadly these kinds of things can happen. That incident was almost 40 years ago so it's nothing new. The breeds that get stolen do change, but the act of stealing dogs doesn't seem to go away.

Edited by Zug Zug

This is a followup share on the "Aussies Fighting Against Dog Fighting" page

https://www.facebook.com/AussiesFightingAgainstDogFighting/posts/477631512325421

Please be aware of the following! I have been in contact with the originator of this post and have confirmed Police are involved, as are legitimate Animal Control Rangers. it has been confirmed this has happened in both SA and VIC.

It is believed these attempted thefts are for Puppy Farming, rather than fighting purposes.

Dog stealing is not a very original idea. Neither is puppy farming - the dodgy way. So just because it's been happening elsewhere doesn't mean it isn't happening in SA.

Best we yell "Our dog is desexed" and run our dogs away, and call the cops.

I do think that cops would regard stealing an adult dog as no big deal compared to other stuff they have to deal with. They'd think adult dog = $500 value and have no idea the true value or the emotional distress it causes.

Yet another good reason never to give a dog access to your front yard, if you're not there to supervise it.

I have also seen dogs tormented by passers-by, and of course the whole issue of passing dogs and barking issues.

It is hard if you have a corner block - but most of us have backyards and that is by far the safest place for the dogs to stay, when they can't be inside with us.

In terms of why they would steal these dogs - I presume for breeding. They would know that rescue dogs would be desexed.

Yes, I agree. We've always had side fences that don't easily allowing passers-by to see into our backyard.

The police info at that time, was that these small attractive dogs were being stolen for selling on.

By coincidence, at same time, a couple who owned a tibbie for a pet used to go markets in rural, near Brisbane area every weekend.

They saw a woman there, every week, selling.... you guessed it, small attractive dogs. They sell very well.

Tibbie owner asked her where did she get this 'regular' supply of adult dogs from. The seller said that she got them 'from our family'. The pet owner remarked, 'Well, you must have a mighty big family!'.

She started to press on with questions because she thought the whole thing 'suss'. And remarked that maybe police should take a look.

But her husband pulled her away, thinking a brawl would start. Next week, the seller was not there & didn't return (in the couple's best knowledge).

BTW, this was before microchipping became more common in Qld.

Edited by mita

Everyone always says dog fighting but surely it would be easier to go to Guntree and pick up all the free staff/mastiff/bullarab crosses. If this story is indeed true could it be for (what makes me sick) meat. Not trying to be racist but I'm sure a Chinese/Korean etc man going to Gumtree would get quite a few knockbacks from those giving away dogs so easier to steal. When selling roosters I used to always get Asian men trying to convince me they just love roosters as pets and they do live in Brisbane??? We now kill all our own roosters so we know they are humanely killed.