Why Is Jackson Still Waiting?

I don't want to be flamed but I want to be honest.

As rescuers we see the beauty in these dogs, although what we find appealing and what the general public do can be two different things. A tan bull breed is really just another tan bull breed, there's nothing defining about their look that catches the eye of someone who may not be familiar with the love of a bull breed.....I hope I worded that well...I probably didn't.

And he's gorgeous, but well cared for - people look at him and go "I'll adopt that dog over there who is about to be PTS because this one isn't in danger right now". An unfortunate by-product of groups that use the emotive "if you don't save this dog from the pound right now he will be killed" stuff :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As rescuers we see the beauty in these dogs, although what we find appealing and what the general public do can be two different things. A tan bull breed is really just another tan bull breed, there's nothing defining about their look that catches the eye of someone who may not be familiar with the love of a bull breed.....I hope I worded that well...I probably didn't.

You worded it fine. The implication is to target the advertising towards those familiar with the love of a bull breed & who are also responsible owners. And encourage sharing his details among that target group.

You worded it fine. The implication is to target the advertising towards those familiar with the love of a bull breed & who are also responsible owners. And encourage sharing his details among that target group. So it was good to see Jackson's appealing face on the Bull Breeds in Need Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/bullbreedsinneed

I really like the photo of Jackson on the bed. I dont really go for that type of breed, and I am not instantly attracted to him, but looking through all the photos he looks like a pretty cool dog. I always try and change profiles a bit if I haven't had much luck with adoptions. I had no adoption inquiries for one of my foster dogs for aaaages. A year and a half later we had one, and it sounded perfect, but he had totally won be over by then, so he hasn't left :)

Could you try writing the profile as if it were him... Hi, I'm Jackson, not to blow my trumpet, but I've gotta tell you, i'm a pretty fun dude to be around. I'm great with other dogs and am a quick learner especially when there's cuddles involved.... etc

Maybe something like that. I've been doing some research into making doggy & cat blurbs sounds more interesting as we have some long termers too, basically facts are boring. As Juice said, you need to pull people through the door, and maybe you could explain the hard facts when they're actually meeting Jackson?

Love the photos though, they're great. Do you have an 'adopt me' coat or collar?

All the best!

He's beautiful and in beautiful condition.

I tend to agree that possibly your profile would make more sense to someone who was a bit dog savvy - people tend not to understand terms like resource guarding. I suspect there is also an effect where-by you mention it and people wonder why, when it might not have crossed their minds before.

This is the kind of profile I'd give him:

"

Jackson is a gorgeous and friendly boy who loves getting his play on! He’s absolutely brilliant with other dogs and hasn't met one yet he didn't like. He's happy to share his food and toys with another pooch.

He loves people and will do almost anything for a cuddle, in fact he's a bit of a social butterfly and loves nothing better than hanging out with his family and doing things with them.

Jackson is a bit of an obedience star, he can sit, wait, shake, speak and goes to his bed. He's very food oriented, so teaching him even more tricks will be easy.

Jackson has moderate exercise needs, loves going in the car and is so well behaved you can take him anywhere. His short coat is not only easy to care for, its incredibly soft and makes him the best cuddle toy in the world.

He can be a bit bouncy, so we'd suggest older children for him and because he can be a bit independent minded, we'd recommend someone with a bit of dog savvy. But if you're looking for a low-key, easy-going dog who just wants a family to fit into, you have to Jackson.

I'd also use this kind of photo as his lead image, because we've found that people really respond to the images with the soft mouth and ears. Some people find the closed mouth and intent stare a bit threatening, so we always include a tongue hanging out shot.

http://cdn.petrescue.com.au/uploads/pet_photos/217377_8c244_900x900.jpg

Aphra, that profile is excellent. In the first few sentences you've laid to rest fears some people have about bully breeds.

Jackson is well described as a very nice pet, but the considerations a new owner has to think about are included, too.

:thumbsup:

It's strange, isn't it - my first foster dog, we had in care for 6 months. Another one that I looked after for a few weeks while her foster carer was away has been in foster care since November last year - she's a gorgeous little 8 year old scruffy terrier. No behavioural or health issues, great with dogs, loves people, nothing "wrong" at all - she's perfect. But .. nobody wants her! I just don't understand.

I love this photo... would certainly get me enquiring more about him... *grin*

http://www.fetchingdogs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ruthlessphotos-5273.jpg

T.

Bruno is the star of that photo though, and Jackson looks a bit "cross" (ie the straight stare) that could put people off.

My only suggestion is to be 100% honest. When I read his original profile it didn't sound like the dog you described. When a rescue writes "requires strong leadership" I think the dog is a bit out of control. It shouldn't be that way but many people seem to be using euphemisms these days.

I have the same reaction with "good with dogs" - a dog that loves all dogs but knows no boundaries and will run up to any dog to say hello. Is he like this or is he genuinely good with dogs - ie respects their space and interacts with them like they want? If a dog gave an appropriate "stay away from me" growl" how would he respond? If he is genuinely good with dogs I'd take the time to explain what that means.

I love this photo... would certainly get me enquiring more about him... *grin*

http://www.fetchingdogs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ruthlessphotos-5273.jpg

T.

Bruno is the star of that photo though, and Jackson looks a bit "cross" (ie the straight stare) that could put people off.

My only suggestion is to be 100% honest. When I read his original profile it didn't sound like the dog you described. When a rescue writes "requires strong leadership" I think the dog is a bit out of control. It shouldn't be that way but many people seem to be using euphemisms these days.

I have the same reaction with "good with dogs" - a dog that loves all dogs but knows no boundaries and will run up to any dog to say hello. Is he like this or is he genuinely good with dogs - ie respects their space and interacts with them like they want? If a dog gave an appropriate "stay away from me" growl" how would he respond? If he is genuinely good with dogs I'd take the time to explain what that means.

His profile has been rewritten. Not sure if you saw that.

To be honest, I'd rather he went to someone that is dog savvy, so I don't mind if the language excludes people that aren't. He's not out of control, but without strong leadership he could be. He's stubborn and will take the piss if given the opportunity. He's good with dogs in so much as he can walk by dogs of all sizes and temps without misbehaving. He's been told off by Chopper, Angel and Trixie and heeded them. A couple of times I've let him off lead with other dogs and he just wants to run. If he gets barked at he doesn't really understand it but he doesn't react.

I agree and completely understand ruthless, you don't want the profile to just SELL him as the perfect dog, the main aim is for him to go to the right home. Maybe that is someone dog savvy; you don't want someone being sucked into the profile or photos, or the fact that he's been waiting for ages. It's such a hard balance :/

Really like the rewritten profile. Some dogs just take their time. We had one big dog with us for nearly two years. He was a lovely boy, but really big and kind of plain. In the end he found the most brilliant home, but in all of that time he only had one other enquiry.

Personally i think things like "requires strong leadership" can actually put off the very people you're wanting to attract. As someone experienced with dogs, if I were looking I would be likely to skip straight past dogs that have comments like that simply because I have seen it used all too often for dogs that are completely out of control, have behavioural issues etc.

I understand the desire to weed out those without the experience for such dogs. But you also need to remember that experienced dog people have had more experience reading ads and become wary of certain phrases- especially when they occur without further explanation at that point.

• 4 weeks later...