Perth Hoarder

seld

Did anyone see what the court outcome earlier in the week regarding the woman in perth with the 70something animals? I saw the news article but was too busy to read it and cant find it now.

Looks like the sentence will be handed down on Friday

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/17916075/guilty-after-70-animals-found-in-appalling-conditions/

The RSPCA wants a woman who let 70 cats, guinea pigs, dogs, rabbits and birds live in “appalling conditions” banned from ever owning animals again.

Rosemary Muriel Donovan was today found guilty of 24 counts of animal cruelty in the Mandurah Magistrate’s Court.

Donovan was charged after RSPCA inspectors visited a property in Coodanup, south of Perth, in July 2011.

The inspectors, who visited the property after the alarm was raised by Mandurah city council, found several dead animals and more than 70 living in conditions they considered to be unacceptable.

During a two-day trial in March, it was revealed the inspectors found the cats had ringworm, mites and fleas, the guinea pig cage was dirty with dead animals on the floor, some of the birds were kept in cages that were too small and the animals had not been provided with sufficient food and water.

Donovan’s sentence will be handed down on Friday.

The RSPCA has called for a large fine for Donovan and a ban on her owning any more animals.

This is the first I've heard about it, so I think I'll reserve judgement for now. To be honest, something sounds fishy to me.

There are a lot of comments in the article that leave a lot of room for ambiguity. "conditions they considered to be unacceptable" could be anything to be honest, especially if someone's got a grudge against the woman.

"...inspectors found the cats had ringworm, mites and fleas" Doesn't necessarily mean that she's neglected them, it just means that perhaps they're due for treatment.

"the guinea pig cage was dirty with dead animals on the floor" Doesn't mean they're neglected. It could mean that it's cleaning day and she's got a few oldies in the cage. I know at times when I've had several very old rats, I've come home from work to find one or two dead ones in the cage.

"some of the birds were kept in cages that were too small" Could just mean that they get a lot of time out of their cages, so they don't need to be particularly spacious.

"...the animals had not been provided with sufficient food and water" Also not necessarily an indication of neglect. If someone came to my house, would they deem that my ferrets had not been provided with sufficient food and water because by the end of the day their food bowl is almost empty and they've probably knocked over all of their water bowls?

The picture is not defined as a picture of her dog either. That could be a skinny dog from anywhere.

I'm not saying that she's innocent or guilty, just that anything I hear from the RSPCA is taken with a grain of salt.

There are a lot of comments in the article that leave a lot of room for ambiguity.

Going by the video footage I saw on the news there was no ambiguity about it! It was beyond disgusting :mad She should get a prison sentence as far as I'm concerned, not just a fine, and should be banned from keeping animals for life.

Those poor animals, I hope they have now gone onto better places :cry:

There are a lot of comments in the article that leave a lot of room for ambiguity.

Going by the video footage I saw on the news there was no ambiguity about it! It was beyond disgusting :madShe should get a prison sentence as far as I'm concerned, not just a fine, and should be banned from keeping animals for life.

Those poor animals, I hope they have now gone onto better places :cry:

I agree Crazycresties. That is absolutely disgusting. Those poor animals having to live in those conditions. :(

Not sure " a large fine" the RSPCA calls for would be of any benefit, hoarders clearly have major mental issues and this person needs some psychiatric help not a fine. These stories make me so sad not just for the animals who had to endure it but also the person too.

Not sure " a large fine" the RSPCA calls for would be of any benefit, hoarders clearly have major mental issues and this person needs some psychiatric help not a fine. These stories make me so sad not just for the animals who had to endure it but also the person too.

I couldn't agree with you more. These hoarders are as you say,mentally ill and need help. I have sympathy for both the hoarder, who is well meaning, but terribly misguided, and the poor animals under their supposed care.

There are other photos on other news sites, there were rabbits in aviaries with dead budgies on the ground, and more than one dead guinea pig...

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/hoarder-guilty-of-cruelty-to-70-animals-20130708-2pls5.html

Fair enough. After watching the video footage and reading the other articles, I'm inclined to agree that the charges are reasonable. As I said, that first article was the first I'd heard of it, and that one was not particularly detailed.

I think a better idea would be to extend the ban to include the residence where she lives. That is, she cannot live with any animals, regardless of whose name they're registered in. If the other people she lives with don't like it, they can go live somewhere else.

I also agree with Daffyduck, people are so hellbent on "justice" that they don't see the broader picture. Hoarding (of anything really) is a mental issue which in my opinion should be addressed as a mandatory part of sentencing in any hoarding case.

I don't see why her mother got acquitted. Sure she was in hospital at the time of the raid, but it takes a long time for that kind of filth to happen, unless she'd been in hospital for months, I find it hard to believe she wasn't involved somehow.

This is the first I've heard about it, so I think I'll reserve judgement for now. To be honest, something sounds fishy to me.

There are a lot of comments in the article that leave a lot of room for ambiguity. "conditions they considered to be unacceptable" could be anything to be honest, especially if someone's got a grudge against the woman.

I'm not saying that she's innocent or guilty, just that anything I hear from the RSPCA is taken with a grain of salt.

regardless of the wording of the article all you have to read is 70 living animals and do a quick google map search of Coodanup to confirm that it's not going be a rural property to know that it's not at all possible for these animals to have been treated humanely.

Nice to know you now think the charges are reasonably but I for one don't need to see it to believe it.

Banned for life and $48'000 fine.

A WA woman has been banned from owning pets for the rest of her life after she was found guilty on 24 counts of animal cruelty.

RSPCA inspectors visited the Mandurah property of Rosemary Muriel Donovan in July 2011, finding several dead animals and more than 70 live animals existing in unacceptable conditions.

The animals included dogs, cats and kittens, rabbits, guinea pigs and birds.

They did not have clean or sufficient food or water and were suffering harm that could have been alleviated by taking reasonable steps.

Inspectors noted a strong stench of ammonia and faeces on the floor.

At a trial last week, the Mandurah Magistrates Court heard that the cats were suffering from ringworm and riddled with mites and fleas, the guinea pig cage was dirty - with dead guinea pigs on the floor - and some of the birds were confined to cages that were too small.

Inspectors saw several different animals, including rabbits, packed inside aviaries that also contained budgies and weiros.

In one aviary, a rabbit was walking over five dead budgies that were lying on the floor.

Donovan was today banned for owning animals for the rest of her life and fined $48,000, plus $2780.75 in costs.

While she received the minimum $2000 fine for each of the 24 counts, the RSPCA was pleased she would never own a pet again as she was incapable of caring for animals.

"We are extremely happy with the permanent prohibition order,'' RSPCA spokesman Tim Mayne told AAP.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/cruel-pet-owner-fined-48k-banned-for-life/story-fnhocxo3-1226678680721

Edited by moosepup

Nice to know you now think the charges are reasonably but I for one don't need to see it to believe it.

Fair enough, but these days I take everything put out by the media with a grain of salt. Unfortunately there's no such thing as truthful journalism anymore.

Yes, I feel the same.

It shouldn't happen but sadly it does, very sad for the animals and the hoarder.