Peeing In Crate

Zereuloh

So my corgi pup has been peeing in his crate of a night. Despite my efforts of getting up every 1.5 - 2 hours to take him out. He is 9 weeks old, and we haven't had an inside the house accident in a couple of days. I take him out every couple of hours to toilet and reward him when he does so. But at night he just goes in his crate - he doesn't whinge for me to take him out. Im just after some tips to help stop this? I've been cleaning his crate out with white vinegar every time he goes in there, and restricting his water access from 9pm onwards. I crate him at around 11pm-12am - taking him to the toilet first of course and making sure he goes. But by 2am he has gone I need to change his bedding. He has toys etc in there to keep himself occupied so not sure what else I can do. He will occasionally not go for a 3 hour block so I know he is capable of holding for 2.5 - 3 hours he just isn't for the most part.

Edited by Zereuloh

If he pee'd by 2am, sounds like you need to get up before 2am to take him out.

He has learnt that peeing in his crate is acceptable, so you need to un-learn the behavior by pre-empting it.

Do you feed him in his crate?

He has learnt that peeing in his crate is acceptable, so you need to un-learn the behavior by pre-empting it.

I don't feed him in there. Should I start too? I'll start getting up at 1.30 and se if that helps. Thanks. :)

I don't feed him in there. Should I start too? I'll start getting up at 1.30 and se if that helps. Thanks. :)

What are you doing in the way of crate training, or are you just locking him in there?

I'd be feeding him in there, just to re-inforce the "den" message which he doesn't seem to understand, as dogs don't normally toilet where they eat or sleep.

Must be so frustrating for you :(

Maybe he just isn't identifying with the crate as his bed? Does he have another bed he really likes to sleep on? If he settles pretty easily, you could have him unconfined on his bed instead of in the crate. Then, worst case scenario, maybe he'll get up and pee next to it? Though that wouldn't be good if you have carpet... Sorry, just typing ideas as they pop into my head!

For his first month, Nixon was in his playpen at night, with access to his inside toilet. At times it would work well, though he'd usually wake us up after he'd 'gone' to clean up any mess. And he'd often wee just off the side of it :) At least the mess was just on tiles though, and not in his bedding.

Edited by aliwake

Must be so frustrating for you :(

Maybe he just isn't identifying with the crate as his bed? Does he have another bed he really likes to sleep on? If he settles pretty easily, you could have him unconfined on his bed instead of in the crate. Then, worst case scenario, maybe he'll get up and pee next to it? Though that wouldn't be good if you have carpet... Sorry, just typing ideas as they pop into my head!

For his first month, Nixon was in his playpen at night, with access to his inside toilet. At times it would work well, though he'd usually wake us up after he'd 'gone' to clean up any mess. And he'd often wee just off the side of it :) At least the mess was just on tiles though, and not in his bedding.

I've been doing some of the crate game tricks from Susan Garrett's dvd. We have carpet so weeing on carpet would be bad. lol I'll give feeding him in the crate a go and see if that helps, as well as getting up a bit more often to take him outside. Or I could move him into the bathroom on the tiles and let him go there, but just a bit worried this would reinforce its ok to go inside?

We have carpet so weeing on carpet would be bad. lol I'll give feeding him in the crate a go and see if that helps, as well as getting up a bit more often to take him outside. Or I could move him into the bathroom on the tiles and let him go there, but just a bit worried this would reinforce its ok to go inside?

set your alarm for every two ohours overnight. It is the best way to toilet train I have found. It does not take weeks of doing this usually. Often after a couple of nights you can change the alarm to every 3 hours, then you keep adding on until you don't get up at all, but it might take a bit longer cause he already thinks peeing in his crate is ok.

There is no way I would put a pup on tiles and just let him go there.

set your alarm for every two ohours overnight. It is the best way to toilet train I have found. It does not take weeks of doing this usually. Often after a couple of nights you can change the alarm to every 3 hours, then you keep adding on until you don't get up at all, but it might take a bit longer cause he already thinks peeing in his crate is ok.

She has been getting up every 2 hours (or less) already, to no avail!

Just wondering has he seen a vet to rule out a UTI?

I restricted water after 10pm when Sumo first came home, but being a Saint he gets hot easily so would pant very loudly during the night, or even whine because he was thirsty. In the end we put his food and water bowls in the crate with him overnight, and he never once had an accident in there. After that he would only cry to be let out for the toilet. Now he is safe to sleep outside of his crate at night.

Good luck, I really feel for you having to get up so often every single night. Hoping you can get on top of this soon :)

So my corgi pup has been peeing in his crate of a night. Despite my efforts of getting up every 1.5 - 2 hours to take him out. He is 9 weeks old, and we haven't had an inside the house accident in a couple of days. I take him out every couple of hours to toilet and reward him when he does so. But at night he just goes in his crate - he doesn't whinge for me to take him out. Im just after some tips to help stop this? I've been cleaning his crate out with white vinegar every time he goes in there, and restricting his water access from 9pm onwards. I crate him at around 11pm-12am - taking him to the toilet first of course and making sure he goes. But by 2am he has gone I need to change his bedding. He has toys etc in there to keep himself occupied so not sure what else I can do. He will occasionally not go for a 3 hour block so I know he is capable of holding for 2.5 - 3 hours he just isn't for the most part.

She has been getting up every 2 hours (or less) already, to no avail!

No, not all the time from what has been written and what I was responding too

Does he go im it during the day ??

I have showdogs so they are all crate trained but they are trained during the day as well that leaving the crate means toilets .Sometimes you need to use day time to educate them on what to do not just nighttime .

Does he go im it during the day ??

I have showdogs so they are all crate trained but they are trained during the day as well that leaving the crate means toilets .Sometimes you need to use day time to educate them on what to do not just nighttime .

I put him in it to sleep during the day, he comes out to toilet, play / other training, and goes back in to sleep and now he gets fed in there too.

Feeding him in it appears to be helping! :) Last night we went to bed later than normal so I didn't crate him till 1.30am then he slept till 5.30 and was completely dry, he woke again when the kids got up at 7.30am! Hoping its not a fluke! lol

Feeding him in it appears to be helping! :) Last night we went to bed later than normal so I didn't crate him till 1.30am then he slept till 5.30 and was completely dry, he woke again when the kids got up at 7.30am! Hoping its not a fluke! lol

Thats great news, lets hope he is turning the corner and learning :)

Great news. What's the update? The only other thing is the size of the crate. Is it a little big for him at the moment? Could it be partitioned off if so? A big crate might allow peeing at one end and relatively comfortable sleeping at the other. Best of luck.