Thin Newfoundland

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice please

I have just adopted a lovely female desexed newfoundland, she's not 2yrs old yet. She is quite thin, you can feel her hip bones, all her spine, her leg joints etc.

My biggest worry is all 4 feet face out towards the side. She's had a basic vet check up. He put her on a puppy dry food.

Can anyone recommend a vet in the Brisbane area that is knowledgeable with large breeds. Also would appreciate some ideas on a diet plan for her to slowly put weight on her and what if any extra to add to her diet.

She has been wormed and vaccinated. She is quite clumsy but has the sweetest personality.

There is a repo vet in Jimboomba/Greenbank area called Furkids ph. 32000469. They see a lot of large breed dogs. It could be a calcium or Vit D deficiency.

Years ago I had a 6 month old Doberman pup and she had east/west feet. It took months to correct and she was only allowed to walk on hard surfaces such as concrete or bitumen. I can't remember if we had any specific dietary issues to address.

I use Anvet Kedron 33591812 for all my rescue dogs and they are excellent.

If she's on a good puppy giant dry like Eagle Pack or Royal Canin, just feed her a few small meals a day and let her put the weight on slowly. Her feet could be dietary or due to lack of muscle, Ams seems to be on the pulse with good vets :)

Thanks, I will give the vets a ring and have a chat. From what I was told she has been feed a supermarket dry food with the odd bone.

She has no muscle tone in her back end.

I live on a couple of acres so here's hoping I don't have to keep her on concrete.

I looked at the different dry foods but wasn't sure what one to put her on. The dry is a supercoat. will look at other brands when I go back to town.

I have been mixing a bit of chicken mince in with the dry and she loves that. Just don't want to put to much weight on to quick.

I am hoping the feet will correct to some degree as it looks very uncomfortable

I am no vet nor giant expert either but what Nekh said. A good quality giant puppy dry food. Small feeds & often. Your right with wanting to do this slowly to start. And as others have said find a good vet experienced in giants if possible.

Once she starts to put condition back on & hopefully her feet/legs will improve as well :crossfingers: there should be no reason she shouldn't be able to enjoy all that lovely space you have.

Good on you for giving this poor girl a go at a happy, healthy life :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Storm where in Brisbane are you based? pm is good for me if you prefer. Pers is right we absolutely MUST have photos for posterity. My phone if you would like to chat re rehabilitation is 04014445641 (I also rescue 'Basically Bigguns" so Mastiffs, etc and have a bit of experience in putting the weight back on slowly whilst building muscle.

Edited by Ams

Im out near Laidley, I cant get photos to load. Have take some but honestly you cant see how skinny she is with all her coat. Ams I will give you a ring and have a chat. If your close to me, we may be able to catch up and you can give me your opinion.

Storm I have a two year old Newfoundland and I would not feed super coat nor would I feed puppy food. Eagle pack as suggested is a great food so Giant breed adult or proplan adult. They are not cheap but you need to feed a quality product.

High dose Easter C has been used to correct leg issues and chicken necks and frames (raw) are good to help put weight on. Feed at least twice a day or more small meals if possible. Bloat is an issue with the breed so wait at least an hour before and after feeding before any form of exercise.

If you go to dogzonline breeders look up Planhaven or Opalbay, Opalbay is in Brisbane and Planhaven are now on the Gold Coast. Frances from Planhaven has been the longest breeder of this breed in Australia and Sue from Oplaybay has been involved in the breed for over ten years.

I am sure both of them would be only to happy to talk to you and offer advice where needed. Good luck with your girl, they are a beautiful breed to share our lives with. :D

Im out near Laidley, I cant get photos to load. Have take some but honestly you cant see how skinny she is with all her coat. Ams I will give you a ring and have a chat. If your close to me, we may be able to catch up and you can give me your opinion.

I'm at Kholo so not too far away. I travel for coffee. smile.gif

Storm I have a two year old Newfoundland and I would not feed super coat nor would I feed puppy food. Eagle pack as suggested is a great food so Giant breed adult or proplan adult. They are not cheap but you need to feed a quality product.

High dose Easter C has been used to correct leg issues and chicken necks and frames (raw) are good to help put weight on. Feed at least twice a day or more small meals if possible. Bloat is an issue with the breed so wait at least an hour before and after feeding before any form of exercise.

If you go to dogzonline breeders look up Planhaven or Opalbay, Opalbay is in Brisbane and Planhaven are now on the Gold Coast. Frances from Planhaven has been the longest breeder of this breed in Australia and Sue from Oplaybay has been involved in the breed for over ten years.

I am sure both of them would be only to happy to talk to you and offer advice where needed. Good luck with your girl, they are a beautiful breed to share our lives with. :D

great advise

I was just about to say what Mish said about the food. I bought a small bag of supercoat out of desperation a few weeks ago when i forgot to buy dog food in town. The weight just fell off my basset in the week they were eating it and I'll never buy it again. I'm now just getting the weight back on her. I know some people who like Supercoat but that's the third dog i have found did poorly on it so I won't bother again.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Now that your dog is 2, I think you need to be realistic about correcting any skeletal issues with her - what you've got is what you have to work with. Only her muscle condition can be improved and without regular chiropracty, that won't change much.

The lack of muscle tone in the rear sounds warning bells for me - I'd be wondering about the condition of her hips. If she doesn't not gain weight on a better diet, I'd be starting to wonder about a residual level of pain.

I think the best thing you could do is find a vet with experience with giant breeds and have her thoroughly checked over. I would be feeding a quality Giant breed food and taking it from there.

What do you mean by "I hope I don't have to keep her on concrete"? :confused: It would be the LAST surface I'd recommend for this dog.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks Kirty wasn't sure where to get it from.

Haredown Whippets it was mentioned earlier about someone having to keep there dog on concrete or solid ground for a while, that's what I was referring to.

I am looking at finding a vet with knowledge on large breeds, which is what I asked for in my first email. I don't want to just go from vet to vet wanted a good vet from the start so we can work out the best care plan for her.

I also have concerns about her back end, but will do what I can to ensure she is happy, comfortable, pain free and have the best quality of life I can give her.

Appreciate everyone's advice