I Did It - New Lens...

tdierikx

I've just got home with a brand spanking new (still in the box) Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM...

I think I'll just look at the pretty box for a little while before I get up the courage to take it out, attach it to the 60D, and have a play... feeling a little bit intimidated by the size and weight of this bit of kit just now.

I'm planning on taking it to the Zoo this weekend, so I'm going to have to get a bit of practice in, don't you think?

I also got a nice new backpack that will fit the camera, lenses, and a few other odds and sods - oh - and a bloody expensive UV filter for the new baby (it's HUGE!)... *grin*

Can anyone say "she's excited"... lol!

T.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lucky you. I know what you mean about being intimidated by it. I think it took me about 3 days to unpack my first camera, I was so scared of it.

That's the lens I would love for the whippet fun days. I think it would be perfect. I'll be looking forward to seeing your photos. Have fun.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, I have heard some mixed reviews. I'm especially interested if it can be handheld at 400 and still get good shots, and also what its like in lower light situations, being thats its f/4.5 - f/5.6 it should be pretty good at the long end if the light is sufficient. I'm sure you will have a ball with it, especially at the zoo.

Look forward to seeing pics from the beast!

Kirislin, if you bring your Whippets up to Sydney for a fun day, I'll happily lend it to you... but only if you let me cuddle your babies...

T.

I'd love to!

Hey, you could come down and use it at one of our fun days! :D

Ummm... you would REALLY like it Kirislin... it takes nice pics... *grin*

I'm definitely going to need some more practice with tracking and keeping/getting focus, but I think I got a few nice pics at the pond this afternoon...

Check these out...

birds100-400033.jpg

birds100-400051.jpg

birds100-400114.jpg

birds100-400126.jpg

birds100-400151.jpg

... and this one's my fave - at 400mm no less!

birds100-400096.jpg

I think the Zoo is going to be tres fun with this lens... *grin*

T.

All handheld Roova... and it's a big heavy lens with a slide in-out zoom system.

They may be my first photos with this particular lens, but I have had lots of practice with my older and smaller lenses.

It's going to take me some time to get a proper hold on the zoom on this one while panning around methinks, but I'm pretty happy with my first foray... *grin*

Please also note that I took a lot of really crappy blurry photos today too - but funnily enough, I only posted the really nice ones... lol! For each focused flying shot, I got about 10 more that were completely off.

I did manage to get a swallow diving into the water and a couple of him flying - all in reasonable focus, but the framing of the shots was sub-par, so I haven't shared them.

This weekend is going to be fine apparently, so I'm off to the Zoo, and maybe even go to Manly and try to get collision pics of the seagulls... they are funny as!

T.

Wow looks awesome so far, look forward to seeing what you add to the Zoo thread after the weekend.

Did you have the IS off for these? and did you do any editing, or are they strait out of the camera? I'd be interested to see how it fairs with the IS off, for flying running shots the IS will slow the lens down to a degree.

IS and AF on - no editing apart from resizing for posting online. I'm still very much a beginner... *grin*

Seriously - I leave all the manual stuff well alone - just point, focus, and click... on one of the presets (Sports is my fave setting). I figure that if I've spent that much on camera gear, it can bloody well do all the hard work for me... lol!

T.