I Did It - New Lens...

tdierikx

It IS a nice lens... and I'm sure that once I get the mechanical stuff under control, I'll get very nice results with it.

I must say that it does focus in pretty darned quickly when panning and zooming to catch birds flying about - it's more about learning the actual reach and zoom movement to catch them more often that needs the practice methinks.

The added bonus is using it on a 60D means that I'm actually getting more distance out of it due to the cropped sensor... *grin* Maximum effective zoom becomes equivalent to 640mm...

I am so looking forward to getting a nice tight facial shot of a tiger - like the lucky ones I've had of the lions in the past (lions appear to be way more lazy and will sit near the glass and stare at you for ages). Minimum focusing distance on this lens is 1.8m too, so I can be further back and still get the shots I want. Looking forward to getting closer shots of the chimps and gorillas too - especially the ones that stay their distance with their little ones.

I might even be convinced to shoot in RAW with this lens... *grin*... but I'll need a bigger memory card first, as I have a nasty habit of taking LOTS of photos.

T.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woohoo! Sunny day today! I'm off to the Zoo with my new toy...

As for taking photos of ducks with a new lens - one doesn't usually have to go far to find one, and they are easy targets bacause they don't usually move much... lol! I got a couple of nice ones with cool reflections of the ducks' heads in the water too.

T.

Well - I can firmly attest that this thing is HEAVY! Walking around the Zoo from 9:30am to 4:00pm taking handheld pics has my right wrist telling me in no uncertain terms that it's not happy with me. My left shoulder isn't much happier either...

On the upside though, the funky back and leg pain issue is behaving itself even though I must have walked at least 10km today. So in love with my physio's electrified needling right now.

I've just been through all the pics, and have some to share... *grin*

03-08-2013-zoo036.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo064.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo090.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo110.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo123.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo218.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo241.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo273.jpg

03-08-2013-zoo277.jpg

... more coming...