Is Anyone Here A Vet?

GABBA

Hi. I have been a member of these forums for a couple of years now and haven't posted in a while. However, lately I have been contemplating a career change - maybe into something I have more of a passion for. That has led me to Vet Science.

I have done a fair bit of reading on the topic and one thing I have come across is that a vets salary isn't as flattering as one would think. The Aus Vet Association site says one can expect a salary of $75k, is this accurate?

Of course you have to enjoy what you do, but at the same time salary is also an important factor. Could someone please elaborate on this, as much as they feel comfortable with. Salary is always one of those touchy subjects. Thanks.

Edited by GABBA

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a vet but have worked with several. I believe that $75k figure to be correct, but not the starting salary. I remember the newer grads starting off on the $40k mark and moving up from there. This was about 7 years ago though so may have changed a little.

Hmmm. It's actually quite disappointing. The career I am in now actually offers quite good money. If I were to change I would have like the pay to be similar. It's a tough choice.

If you want to work with animals, perhaps look into doing an Animal Science degree. Shorter degree (4 years at my uni), and depending on what area you are interested in, possibly a much lager starting salary. We've been told it averages around $70,000 starting. Guess I'll see if that holds true laugh.gif

If you want to work with animals, perhaps look into doing an Animal Science degree. Shorter degree (4 years at my uni), and depending on what area you are interested in, possibly a much lager starting salary. We've been told it averages around $70,000 starting. Guess I'll see if that holds true laugh.gif

True for me Lisa :)

But yes depends on what area you go into. I initially wanted to do vet science but that's because I knew I wanted to work with animals and didn't realise the huge array of jobs out there with animals.

I have a few vet friends who have just graduated and earning around $40K a year.

Animal science is an excellent recommendation, I thoroughly enjoyed the course and has opened a number of doors for me :)

What kind of careers/jobs are you looking at, LisaCC? Just curious as to where it leads, that's all! I don't think I know anyone who's done an Animal Science degree. Maybe one person, but she doesn't use it.

What kind of careers/jobs are you looking at, LisaCC? Just curious as to where it leads, that's all! I don't think I know anyone who's done an Animal Science degree. Maybe one person, but she doesn't use it.

I'm not sure what area Lisa is looking into but I graduated last year and am working in animal management. Majority of graduates work in the agriculture industry, lots of good paying jobs! So farm advisors, nutritionists, sales, parasitologist, etc. Several graduates are now studying PHDs in either Ag science, animal behaviour or animal welfare areas. There is some laboratory or drug company work both human and animal. Then you could also go into the environmental side of the degree. Also several people have gone into public service dept Ag or environment.

So really really broad lol

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, Still have a while to go yet. But at the moment the areas I'm liking are Behaviour, Reproduction and Development.

I spent my summer working under a lecturer doing Behaviour and welfare research and that was enjoyable :)

efowler graduated from my degree and from my uni last year so she might be able to help more :)

I'm not sure what area Lisa is looking into but I graduated last year and am working in animal management. Majority of graduates work in the agriculture industry, lots of good paying jobs! So farm advisors, nutritionists, sales, parasitologist, etc. Several graduates are now studying PHDs in either Ag science, animal behaviour or animal welfare areas. There is some laboratory or drug company work both human and animal. Then you could also go into the environmental side of the degree. Also several people have gone into public service dept Ag or environment.

So really really broad lol

Ooh - interesting. I had no idea about what subjects or topic areas it really involved, now I'm going to have a look! (Says she who is finishing the last subject of her masters. must not get distracted! Must finish!)

GABBA I agree with most here.

I have worked in clinics on and off for many years as both a Groomer and a Nurse.

I remember having a laugh with a Vet who was fresh out of Uni.

She was earning 38k after all those years of study.

I was earning around 45K clipping and bathing dogs.

More money, much fewer hours, and with a LOT less stress!

In MY experience, the only Veterinarians who are seriously in the cash, are the owners of large and busy practices.

But then you have to weigh up the stress and dramas of running a business on top of your responsibilities as a Vet.

I think anyone doing the job for fortune or fame, wouldn't last long.....

A local vet that runs his own successful practice is actually the lowest earner in his family - his brothers and sisters are doctors (of the people treating variety) and make a heck of a lot more thaan he does.

I read somewhere recently that an average wage for a vet is actually around the 56k mark - that is if you are working for a clinic, rather than running it yourself. Possibly could get more if working at a pricey inner city clinic...

Funnily enough, I considered wanting to be a vet when I was younger - but rather than thinking of the earning potential, I was more concerned about how I'd cope with not being able to save them all with my skills... needless to say, I didn't follow through on wanting to be a vet... *grin*

Vet nurses are not paid very well either... even though they perform a huge amount of critical care work and have to deal with customers much more than vets do.

T.

My vet is very well off, runs her own clinic and is already looking at moving to a bigger facility after only shifting into the current one a few years ago. She works SO hard though, starts early, works well into the night, is on call pretty much 24/7... Never gets to spend much time with her family or her own pets. That's why she has so many clients, she is SO dedicated... Unfortunately a lot of her clients will not see the other vets employed at her hospital, just ask for her specifically!