Teaching A Dog To Swim

teekay

Went for a walk this weekend with the dogs and, as no one was around, I let Jenna and Luka off lead. We were walking around a reservoir and I was totally shocked when Luka decided to go for a swim. I think the ducks were an incentive :laugh: Now, he didn't gently wade in though, he launched himself :eek: and then he panicked ( So did I, a little :) ) he really isn't the greatest of swimmers. Instead of paddling under the water like my other two, he paddles vertically like he is trying to climb out of the water. There is very slow forward progress. He did manage to get back to the bank but made me think about whether you can train a dog to swim better.

Obligatory pictures of walk :D

Fluffy butt :laugh:

LukaReservoirwalk_zpsfef07e23.jpg

With Jenna

LukaandJennaReservoirwalk_zps06943b94.jpg

I have tibbie-owning friends who have relatives who adopted a failed student guide dog (wanted to play with every dog he met).

He couldn't swim.... sort of didn't know what to do.

So his 'dad', who happens to be a dog trainer, had to teach him. I don't know how, tho'.

His pic at a swimming lesson (click to enlarge):

post-3304-0-44529200-1376300309_thumb.jpg

I googled & found this:

Edited by mita

My Dally swims like that :laugh: I bought a life jacket for him and it's worked a treat. I don't always use it now as he's getting better coordinated.

Thanks Spotted Devil, do you think the life jacket actually held him in more of the right kind of position to swim, or just stopped him looking like he was struggling? If it actually trains him to pull under the water instead of on top of it I may get one, although as he doesn't like water usually I'm not sure how much use it would get. It would provide peace of mind though.

I will look into it, thanks

I have tibbie-owning friends who have relatives who adopted a failed student guide dog (wanted to play with every dog he met).

He couldn't swim.... sort of didn't know what to do.

So his 'dad', who happens to be a dog trainer, had to teach him. I don't know how, tho'.

His pic at a swimming lesson (click to enlarge):

post-3304-0-44529200-1376300309_thumb.jpg

I googled & found this:

Thanks Mita, I actually didn't think to Google, that's very unlike me :laugh:

Not sure where I could go to try and coax him into the shallow water. Will have to investigate and look for suitable areas.

I've been walking my basset along in the shallow water, in the past she wouldn't have even set foot in it but she will now follow the kelpie in until the water is up to her chest(not very far when your legs are that short!). I think a gently gently approach where you just encourage them in depper a bit at a time is the way to go so they learn that they can move forwards through the water and that there is no need to panic.

My Dally swims like that :laugh: I bought a life jacket for him and it's worked a treat. I don't always use it now as he's getting better coordinated.

Thanks Spotted Devil, do you think the life jacket actually held him in more of the right kind of position to swim, or just stopped him looking like he was struggling? If it actually trains him to pull under the water instead of on top of it I may get one, although as he doesn't like water usually I'm not sure how much use it would get. It would provide peace of mind though.

I will look into it, thanks

I think it lifted his rear end and thus dropped his front end - even with lots of rear end awareness he has always been "front wheel drive". Zig didn't like the water much until he got sick of watching Em being rewarded for water retrieves :laugh: He's still not the most efficient swimmer but I think he has improved a lot since I bought the life jacket - it's given him confidence too.

I had a dog that did that, she swum every week for 16 years almost and never swum normally lol. What breed is Jenna? She's gorgeous.

Thanks MUP, Jenna is a crossbreed before I knew better. She's a Golden Retriever x Samoyed. I often get asked if she is a Maremma but she is much smaller. She is a gorgeous girl though :D

Gus the Flattie is the WORST swimmer. Mostly due to his enthusiasm, just throws himself in and panics, similar to Luka. I had to fish him out the other week and he tried to get back in again! We're seriously considering a life jacket and perhaps a trip to the doggie pool.

My dal Leo couldn't hardly run when he came here is not suprising he could not swim!

He used to try and walk at the v

Back end which included frantic drowning at the front. We went on a trip and I wasn't buying the damn dog a life jacket when we only go near water about every 3rd year. I bought a walking harness so I could hold the middle up...

Cheap harness from supermarket was $20.00 so even In salt water I didn't care about it being wrecked. It helped and now he swims normal....

He just needed lessons... :rofl: to dog what most do naturally

3rd one in this thread with a dally that couldn't swim. I think the fact that we got Cleo home at the beginning of winter didn't help - too cold to take a pup swimming, even though we have a beach and river really close by.

By the first summer, she was hopeless, would run through the waves at the beach but hated the river and creeks.

Got her a lifejacket and it helped, she used to freeze and sink if her ears got wet, now she's a bit better and will take herself out deeper. She's no water baby though!

My jack is a great swimmer, but she stresses about getting in...until she sees a dragonfly ; p

My tibbie is NOT a water baby and so stays put on the kayak with me, at the beach he stays a good distance from the water. When he has fallen in (life jacket on) he just panics and does the upright swim.