Resource Guarding

andrewang

Hi guys,

It's me again. Caesar is now 7 months old and I realise he is going through some "stuff" mentally recently.

He is starting to "mark" when out on walks and growling when some other dogs get near whatever he is playing with in the park. He is usually a very gentle dog that rolls over for ANY other dogs in the park but today is different.

It happened today when I brought him to an off leash park and started playing fetch with him. Another puppy (also 7 months old), who used to "bully" Caesar came over and tried to take his ball away from him. Caesar curled his lips and growled at him. First time this has happened. The other puppy continues to get in his face and Caesar did an air bite and a bark. The other puppy's owner cheered Caesar on and said it was about time he grew a pair. The other puppy backed off a little but came right back again.

Not liking what I saw, I tried to take the ball away when the other puppy was also closing in, Caesar nearly got me. I was shocked. Caesar has never done that ever. He doesn't have any problem when I put my hand in his food bowl when he eats or when I take his half eaten bone away or toys away at home.

Another lady who's really fond of Caesar was also shocked to see Caesar behave like that as Caesar has always been that really really gentle dog that loves everyone.

What should I do? I'm definitely gonna observe him for a couple more days.

Cheers

P.S. Caesar is not desexed

Seven months is him moving into adolescence so it can be common for them to start showing different, more challenging behaviours.

He is maturing sexually and will start to push the boundaries a bit more so you need to show him you're the boss.

A good simple program is NILIF, google it and you'll find some good descriptions.

When he had a go at you it's possible he was meaning to have a go at the other dog, I would be careful at off leash parks because as you have seen he won't be as much of a pushover now!

If you aren't sure and you are worried then it might be worth contact a professional just to reassure you and give you some ideas.

Edited by Aussie3

You approached him when he was in the wrong head space. He probably didn't even realise it was you and got caught up in protecting his toy. If I was you I would not take any toys to the dog park with him as this will just create resource issues.

About the only thing that pi$$es me off about dog parks is when people expect my dog to 'sort out' their dog's social problems. It just encourages her to resort to growling and snapping more quickly next time.

The moment Chess starts to stiffen or puts her tail up I take her away and put myself in between the two dogs. If I have the ball I throw it for her but that only works because she's faster than 95% of the dogs we meet. They can sort out their own damn dog-rudeness problems, I'm not getting an aggressive dog just for their benefit.

So I advise keeping out of the situation. Get a really good recall going, monitor and call your dog away at the first sign of trouble.

Edited by TheLBD

If you intend to keep him entire, mixing with other male dogs, around his age and also entire will have to be carefully monitored from now on.

Also, you need to protect your dog from other dogs that are bullies, and that will often mean leaving the park, not leaving it up to him to fend for himself!!

Are you going to dog training classes with him? Because you often write as though it's you against your dog's behaviour - and it shouldn't be that way at all. You are a team, you are responsible for his behaviour, if you don't know how to manage situations like that so it doesn't cause more stress for him, best you seek out some professional advice NOW.

I am actually doing the NILIF program. For example, I always do a 10-20 second stay, make eye contact before touching his food process every meal. He doesn't mind me doing anything to him at home, he is a very good dog at home.

The growling only happens outside. I don't usually bring a toy to the park but Caesar goes around stealing other dogs' ball and got snapped at quite a few times because of that. I decided to bring a ball to the park so he can play with his own ball instead but now other dogs try to steal him ball, a never ending cycle.

I took his ball away and he finds himself a stick to chew on. Some other dogs will be interested in his stick and he guards it again.

Here's a picture of Caesar holding his stick.

If you intend to keep him entire, mixing with other male dogs, around his age and also entire will have to be carefully monitored from now on.

Also, you need to protect your dog from other dogs that are bullies, and that will often mean leaving the park, not leaving it up to him to fend for himself!!

Are you going to dog training classes with him? Because you often write as though it's you against your dog's behaviour - and it shouldn't be that way at all. You are a team, you are responsible for his behaviour, if you don't know how to manage situations like that so it doesn't cause more stress for him, best you seek out some professional advice NOW.

I kept him entire till now because only one of his testicles has descended. I spoke to his breeder and a couple of vets and others, and most recommend waiting till he is about 1 year old to wait and see. Caesar's dad is also a "late bloomer".

The reason why I didn't go for training classes is because I think he is doing really well so far. If the resource guarding escalates, I WILL definitely seek out professionals, but right now I just wanna know if what he is going through is normal.

post-45448-0-63986100-1376302157_thumb.jpg

caesar should not have ever been allowed to try & steal other dogs' toys . This is your responsibility . Your responsibilty is to not put him in situations where he can get into trouble ..and if this means no dog parks - then that is what needs doing. If he gets walked , and lives a N I L I F life , and goes to training classes, and plays at home ...that's plenty of exercise and brain work for any dog :)

are you doing the full N I L I F program , ie: all day, every day ?

he is a very good dog at home.
Of course he is ;) There are no other dogs /wide open spaces/ off leash posturings ! :)

I wouldn't necessarily do anything except manage him better around toys in future. It's not uncommon for dogs to be protective of their toys, and it's natural behaviour usually. One of my dogs resource guards 'training cues'. He doesn't like other dogs hanging around close to us when he's training. That's fine. I just move him away from the other dogs. If a dog comes over I release him so he knows there will be no training in the immediate future so he doesn't need to see the other dog off. This works pretty well. For toys I pop them away as soon as another dog comes over just to be safe. If I wasn't able to put the toy away for whatever reason, I would block the incoming dog. It might be a good idea to work on getting Caesar to give his toys up to you to make sure he is totally comfortable with it.

Here's a link about resource guarding in dogs. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_10/features/Resource-Guarding-Behavior-Modification_20368-1.html

I kept him entire till now because only one of his testicles has descended. I spoke to his breeder and a couple of vets and others, and most recommend waiting till he is about 1 year old to wait and see. Caesar's dad is also a "late bloomer".

The reason why I didn't go for training classes is because I think he is doing really well so far. If the resource guarding escalates, I WILL definitely seek out professionals, but right now I just wanna know if what he is going through is normal.

That's perfectly reasonable about the desexing. It doesn't matter whether you desex now or later, but if you desex later and he has testosterone related behaviour issues then the dog park activities might have to cease or you may need to be choosy about when you go there.

Training is great because it's a team effort and most of all, he gets to practice his communication skills and calming signals in a non-confrontational way i.e. all dogs walking parallel to each other in the same direction.

Training classes is often misunderstood by owners.

Training classes is about learning how to control your dog around other animals & distractions.

You are being taught how to deal with signs that many people don't see until they have issues.

Personally im not surprised your pup has had enough,you say he has been bullied many times at the park,these are warnings signs that you should pay attention too even the best mannered pup/dog gets feed up with bullies & may react & it seems the time has come .

It seems his enjoyment of going out isn't as fun for him as you think so if it was me i would be looking at just walking & other options where your pup isn't going to be bullied each time.

I see to many wonderful dogs ruined by free for alls at the dog park & people just don't pay attention to the warnings signs until thee own dog steps up to the plate & then it becomes an OMG moment

It's not uncommon for dogs to be protective of their toys, and it's natural behaviour usually.

And totally unsuitable for "unnatural" situations like dog parks where pack hierarchy is far from stable. If this dog arcs up at the wrong dog, or steals the wrong dog's toy, its a recipe for a dog fight.

"Training" a dog IMO is about teaching it cued behaviour and proofing that behaviour. "Training" a dog at most dog training places will not teach you about dealing with natural dog behaviours like resource guarding to any great degree.

I honestly think this dog and owner would benefit from a visit from a decent trainer with experience in behavioural issues to assist with managing what is becoming a potentially challenging behaviour. The dog is an adolescent Cocker Spaniel - they can be quite hard headed in my experience and if given an inch, they'll take the mile and then some. They are NOT lap dogs in the traditional sense of the term. They are a traditional working breed and it best not be forgotten.

This dog NEEDS a reliable recall and it needs to be kept out of situations where it feels the need to resource guard from others. Redirected aggression is one possible outcome that it sounds like the owner has already experienced. Accident or not, a bite from a Cocker Spaniel can do serious damage

Andre, if you cannot control your dog offlead in the dog park to the extent that you can call him away from other dogs' toys , my advice is ONLY to use it when its empty.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks for all the replies. It does seem like Caesar is sick of being bullied and decides to fight back. I take the blame for not removing him from those situations as he seem to "enjoy" it. He always seem to go back for more when being knocked over by another dog. It's also very hard for me to tell off other dog owners as we have become really close friends when our puppies are playing together.

I brought Caesar to the park today when I know there will be no dogs and he enjoyed himself with a game of fetch and stick chewing. Even when a couple of older dogs came in later, he played well with them. Maybe he now prefers the company of older dogs.

I will be walking him more and start looking for obedience clubs we can join. Caesar is still a really good dog but it sucks to know that I ruined a part of him due to my negligence.