Yikes... New People Next Door With Feisty Dogs

Mummamia

The barking may be because its a new place & they haven't settled in yet.

Letting the dogs meet out the front on leads to get to know each other may be a good start but basically if its your dog trying to tear down the fence to get into their yard at their dogs its your dogs that have to be controlled whether their dogs bark or not.

To a certain degree dogs are allowed to bark in their own yard as long as its not constant.

The fact that yours react is not their problem.

Now if they were left out there all night & barked all night & kept you awake that would be different.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is my problem. The maltese seems to bark at the sound of leaves blowing. This sets off his staffie and in turn sets of my staffie... My other two just go and look... My staffie and their two are already fence fighting. My staffie ... this morning... has now started pulling at the fence pailings and has superficial injuries to her mouth... She is bleeding but at this time isn't vet worthy...

Although I understand your predicament, but essentially the problem is that you can't call your dog off the fence to ignore something going on next door that is really not of your dog's concern. Personally I would use this opportunity as a training exercise to gain better control of your own dogs as fence barking and fighting only attracts council complaints long term and is better IMHO that your own dogs don't get into the habit of it. If the dogs next door become a problem with nuisance barking, you can always report them for their owners to address their contribution to the problem.

Here we go again... If you do not have a useful answer or are not able to read the details in a question then please do NOT waste my time replying... It is not my dogS it is only one of them... SO sorry I neglected to state it is their dogS (the TWO of them) that come over to the fence and bark and this is WHEN the fence fighting starts... It has NEVER happened previously in my 15 years of being here...And EVERYONE has owned at least one dog...They have only been here FOUR days... and have not been home for most of the time to work on their dogs...

I have just returned home and their dogs have started again AT THE FENCE... (I should have made this clear)

I should have videoed that as I sit here and type this...I clapped my hands and said 'no' and my staffie did NOT go further than the back door... The other TWO had a look and came back in...

Honestly, Stop believing you know everything after obviously half reading a post... when you have no idea...

I will not respond to any further unhelpful responses... There are people on here who are not narrow minded and think everything is about lack of training... These are the people who I would like to respond with USEFUL suggestions...

You need to talk to the tenants, you can't really do anything unless you know where they stand.

Mention the constant barking which is making you and your dogs agitated. I wouldn't go into the fence fighting with them because then they can lay some of the blame on your dog. Just because you tell them it's never happened before doesn't mean they'll believe you.

Suggest a meet and greet with your dogs, suggest a behaviourist and this will give you an indication if they're likely to try and solve the problem.

If they don't seem interested in fixing the problem then you can contact the council, real estate agent or owners if you have their details. Better they know about the problem sooner rather than later.

Here we go again... If you do not have a useful answer or are not able to read the details in a question then please do NOT waste my time replying... It is not my dogS it is only one of them... SO sorry I neglected to state it is their dogS (the TWO of them) that come over to the fence and bark and this is WHEN the fence fighting starts... It has NEVER happened previously in my 15 years of being here...And EVERYONE has owned at least one dog...They have only been here FOUR days... and have not been home for most of the time to work on their dogs...

I have just returned home and their dogs have started again AT THE FENCE... (I should have made this clear)

I should have videoed that as I sit here and type this...I clapped my hands and said 'no' and my staffie did NOT go further than the back door... The other TWO had a look and came back in...

Honestly, Stop believing you know everything after obviously half reading a post... when you have no idea...

I will not respond to any further unhelpful responses... There are people on here who are not narrow minded and think everything is about lack of training... These are the people who I would like to respond with USEFUL suggestions...

Then how about you tell people what you want to hear, that might help?

But since you said your dog was involved in the fence fighting and eating the fence pailings, it's reasonable for people to suggest training your dog to not do this.

If the neighbors are out, they might not know their dogs bark all day. So perhaps a friendly word to them to let them know.

You might find they've lived next to many dogs in the past and never had an issue as well.

Edited by minimax

No need to be so rude. Your dog is the one trying to rip off the palings so that IS your problem. Make sure your dog can't get to the fence to do so. Dogs can't fence fight by themselves so own up to the fact your dog is happy to get into it just as much as the others.

Sorry if it was anything I said or suggested? I tried to look at it from the perspective that for whatever reason it is these specific 2 new dogs causing a problem for you and your dogs and by the sound of it their owner is not going to do anything different so you may have to given you care about your dogs and how they are reacting. You clearly don't want to see any of the dogs getting hurt and want to do something to address the situation, even if your neighbours aren't on the same page.

It is good that your dogs respond to your commands when you are there but obviously you are still concerned about what might happen when you are not home. I personally think all you can do is reinforce or protect this area of the fence and keep giving the commands you want your dogs to follow when you see them do something you don't want them to do. It is unlikely that you will get your neighbour to do much in relation to training their dogs to stop rushing at the fence first but perhaps if you do get some spare, cheap tin you could offer it to your neighbour so they can cover their side of the fence as well? Not everyone thinks as pro-actively as you. I live across from a fortified property yet because the owners spend all their time on the median strip (front gate open) so does their angry little chi. It drives my dogs spare. It always comes onto my front lawn to poop. 13 long years of it. We tried a meet and greet and all the little rotter did was lunge at me and my dogs. The owners are lovely people but just don't get it so all I can do is work with my dogs and how they react.

Sorry if it was anything I said or suggested? I tried to look at it from the perspective that for whatever reason it is these specific 2 new dogs causing a problem for you and your dogs and by the sound of it their owner is not going to do anything different so you may have to given you care about your dogs and how they are reacting. You clearly don't want to see any of the dogs getting hurt and want to do something to address the situation, even if your neighbours aren't on the same page.

It is good that your dogs respond to your commands when you are there but obviously you are still concerned about what might happen when you are not home. I personally think all you can do is reinforce or protect this area of the fence and keep giving the commands you want your dogs to follow when you see them do something you don't want them to do. It is unlikely that you will get your neighbour to do much in relation to training their dogs to stop rushing at the fence first but perhaps if you do get some spare, cheap tin you could offer it to your neighbour so they can cover their side of the fence as well? Not everyone thinks as pro-actively as you. I live across from a fortified property yet because the owners spend all their time on the median strip (front gate open) so does their angry little chi. It drives my dogs spare. It always comes onto my front lawn to poop. 13 long years of it. We tried a meet and greet and all the little rotter did was lunge at me and my dogs. The owners are lovely people but just don't get it so all I can do is work with my dogs and how they react.

No Little Gifts your answer was thoughtful and appreciated... I don't make habit of posting on this site but as mine was bleeding this morning and the neighbours were not home to speak to...I thought I would give it a go and see if anyone could come up with something I hadn't thought of... Share a similar story... Some have and that is helpful...

I was just looking to see if anyone else had had this issue, as I have never had this issue, and what they did to resolve it.

The neighbour and I have already had a lengthy conversation about it yesterday and he had already informed me he had had trouble with his dogs at the place he just moved from... We had spent some time talking about it and decided to see if they would settled down...

He seems very nice and receptive...

I just hate it when, and it seems the same people on this site, repeatedly, do not read posts correctly and also expect a war and piece story so every little detail is covered... They get stuck in their own narrow minded view of dog issues...The original query is then lost in the rubbish as they post back and forth... I will not respond... Do they all get together afterwards and give out a trophy for the one who wasted the most time...

Do these people have dogs? or maybe just the one who never moved or perhaps one of those kids mechanical ones? You have to wonder :confused:

Yes, exactly I am concerned that until it's sorted... Covering up fence or TRAINING mine to ignore and being confident about this... What could happen when I go out...

P.S. The owners are still not home

My friend just suggested an air horn, she said she did it 3 times and both dogs on both sides were good for a few days and she only needed to do it a few more times int he following weeks and they learned. Drastic but it worked

Now that's original and worth thinking about... Excuse to internet shop... yay

My friend just suggested an air horn, she said she did it 3 times and both dogs on both sides were good for a few days and she only needed to do it a few more times int he following weeks and they learned. Drastic but it worked

Now that's original and worth thinking about... Excuse to internet shop... yay

Haha. Just make sure you don't get noise complaints or create deafness in either species :D

I was just looking to see if anyone else had had this issue, as I have never had this issue, and what they did to resolve it.

/ do not read posts correctly and also expect a war and piece story so every little detail is covered... They get stuck in their own narrow minded view of dog issues...The original query is then lost in the rubbish as they post back and forth... I will not respond... Do they all get together afterwards and give out a trophy for the one who wasted the most time...

people can only comment on what YOU post so excuse them for not being mindreaders. The whole story is necessary if you want accurate feedback. No good getting narky when the feedback is not what YOU want to hear when YOU can't be bothered giving the whole story. How many posts did it take for you to say that the neighbours dogs have a histroy of this behaviour, it certainly wasn't in your OP and yet you knew about it yesterday.

and if you were my neighbour and started blowing an air horn, you could expect a visit from the council.

Our older dog when she was young (and the dog over the back was young) they would get into fighting at the very corner where thre was a tiny cm sized gap where the two fences met.

Anyway worried we'd get the council complaint we taught ours not to fight at the fence and it was not on (face full of citrus spray kinda pushed my point as they tried it as I was spraying that corner). However if our dog 'talked' and stayed back from the corner I'd praise her - she could verbalise that way but not get stuck in at the corner. Both sides have to understand the other side of the fence is no longer 'their' territory.

YOu might want to make sure your side is reinforced or has some kind of second barrier just to protect your dog too. And Id agree - the dogs are new to the yard and obviously could be set off until they get use to the different sounds and smells of their new house.

As for any cats they should be kept inside or in those outdoor cat cage thingys anyway to stop them wandering off the property as any animal that is off your own property is at the mercy of ANY nasty people or animals around.

I certainly wouldn't suggest an air horn in suburbia without letting all neighbours know what was happening ;) It could work though.

Hmmm..as his dogs have a known history of this behaviour , then it does seem that you will have to work hard on your side of the fence :( if your dog is already hyped enough to tolerate injury in her fence chewing , then she really needs to have access blocked /trained for everyones' safety .

:(

I have a reactive dog. I love him but he is a turd.

He was fine with the dogs on one side of a property we lived at, yet hated the dog on the other side and used to fence fight with it. While we were home he wouldn't do it as he got told off for doing it. As it was a self rewarding behavior he would do it when we weren't there and it was hard to police.

So we double paled the fence. He couldn't see the dog he hated, problem solved.

Either block the view and therefore the temptation to fence fight or remove your dog from the situation (ie put the dog inside your house when you are out).