What Products Do You Use?

Little Gifts

Hi everyone, we are looking at upgrading a few pieces of equipment out at Peiradise and I was after your suggestions on a couple of items, bearing in mind that they will be used in a multi dog household and used more frequently than your average household. I have been trawling the internet but thought some feedback from DOLers already using similar products might help narrow things down. I would like to buy Australian where possible.

1. Steam mop - I'm assuming we need something heavy duty. Needs to clean tiles and have washable/changeable cloth heads/covers.

2. 10kg top loading washing machine that can handle doggy hair AND which has good water rating (currently looking at an F&P product)

3. 9kg auto sense dryer (currently looking at an LG product)

4. Steel framed dog beds (large size) that we can also remove and wash the covers on and buy new covers when needed. Looking more for the mesh type stuff rather than canvas or those heavy bag types. Don't want beds where the legs screw on either - needs to be welded. (currently looking at Superior Pet Goods beds)

5. Indoor pet toilets. Have looked at the Pet Loo online but I'm wondering if the clean up of these loos is worse than just disinfecting and steam mopping after any indoor accidents????

Thank you everyone!!!!

I thought the Pet Loo a bit expensive, so made our own. We used an old heavy rubber car boot liner, it has sides slightly turned up, and a piece of good quality synthetic grass. Experimented with different stuff in the bottom and have ended up using kitty litter, the crystal sort, as I found it the easiest to change and absorbed odours much better than the clay sort. I remove poo regularly, and weekly replace the worst of the crystals, monthly replace the lot and hose everything down,. I have two pieces of 'grass' to rotate use, and soak in disinfectant solution after hosing off then leave to air dry in the yard. Only one dog here though so you may have to change it more often. You can find large boxes/bags of the crystal litter quite easily, Woolies and BigW are pretty cheap. Hope that gives you some ideas!

Cant help with all of them but as for the steel framed dog beds, have a look on gumtree there seem to be a few around for around the $20. We used to use old hessian horse feed bags as the cover for them, maybe visit your local feed store or riding stable for covers??

As for the dog loo, we bought a pet loo and were cleaning it how it was recommended and we never got the smell out of it, so i started putting crystal kitty litter in the collection tray and washed the base with warm water with washing powder disolved in it. We had 2 fake grass squares on rotation and each week we hosed one off and soaked it in hot water with washing powder overnight and then hosed it off again and let dry outside. Got rid of all the smell out of it.

I have a Bissell Carpet Washer which is an absolute life saver - there are different attachments to put on it for hard floors and carpet (we have both) and it's really easy to use and not hard to clean either. There's a specific pet stain one, but I'm not sure how it differs from the regular model, which I have.

Highly recommended!

I can't find the exact model I have, but it looks a bit like this:

bissell-carpet-washer-bs20w7f-medium.jpg

There are numerous different kinds, and I got mine from Harvey Norman.

http://www.bissell.com.au/Products/c/deepcleaner/Category.aspx

Cleaning? What's that?

I don't have carpet, so dog hair is my winter insulation... lol!

All I use is a broom every now and then when the dust bunnies start to gang up and try to make a 5th dog out of themselves... *grin*

My 7kg washing machine can handle a queen sized doona if needed... and filters dog hair quite effectively.

T.

I just bought a Kenwood steam mop as Harris Scarfe has them on sale at the moment.

Just used a mop and bucket before , but just felt like something fancy! :)

I bought the one with the thick floor pads that you just clip on to the mop head at either end. I thought it would be more steamy, you know more steam equals your floor being really clean.

The pads get wet then your floor is left wet. So you need to wring the floor pads out when it gets too wet.

I also bought them those Snooza flea free beds. I quite like them, and easy to clean.

Would love a washing machine just for the dog stuff. Since we bought a new machine, hubby says not to wash any dog stuff in there. So I hand wash everything. :(

Just so you know The reject Shop has basic pet loos at the moment for $30. I didn't look too closely at them but they looked like they were a reasonable size, might be worth checking out.

We have a large F & P top loader and have found it excellent, the only time I've managed to clog it was when a pillow imploded in it LOL

We also have a large F & P external vented sensor dryer(we have it in the garage so it just vents into the garage) and that has been great, my parents have an LG condensing dryer and it's caused them nothing but trouble and takes forever to dry things.

We sell the Superior flea frees with the pull on cover at work and have had very good feedback on them.

Can't help with the steam mop

We have a Bissell steam mop which I run over the floors every weekend. We only have tiles and wood so accidents aren't a huge issue. Zoe sometimes pees inside if we forget to leave the laundry light on (she struggles to find the dog door) but otherwise floor accidents are few and far between. I just clean them up with vinegar and water.

Nacho is penned inside during the day and uses a Spotty Potty: http://www.luckypet.com.au/spotty-indoor-dog-toilet.html . He only gets the floor if he hangs his butt over the side. :laugh:

I just soak the 'grass' in Napisan once a week and change the pee pad every couple of days.

Edited by moosepup

Ditto great rugs for the dog beds.

We have the bissell carpet washer and it is great.

I use a karcher steam mop for tiles. Works well and very robust but annoys me as is a pull along model. As the mop part is like towel though it is very easy to make up spares for frequent changes and washing. Floor dries really quickly and is simple to use despite my pet hate of 'pull alongs'.

We have a f&p ecowash top loader. Currently broken .... Suspected it is blocked with dog hair and gravel but they will need to tske it apart as i cant. The model has no filter you can clean easily. A real bugger. Look for a heavy duty commercial model if you can or at least one that you can get to the filter and clear blockages easily. At the moment I am missing my old Simpson which was much easier to repair, unblock and maintain.

Edited by espinay2

I bought a vax floor washing machine, we have slate and it is really does a good job of washing the floors and it also sucks up puddles. Have had a steam cleaner and didn't like it. :thumbsup:

http://www.vax.com.a.../showProduct/37

There's a great deal on a wet/dry vac today via clickfrenzy - not a vax though:

http://www.clickfrenzy.com.au/diy-cleaning-combo-3-amazing-products.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FD+Deals+EDM+3&utm_content=FD+Deals+EDM+3+CID_971c1c80189421e59bbb8a8510ee34fc&utm_source=EMAIL

Steam mop, big front loader and dryer.

I don't use many chemicals in the kennels, I put a scoop of washing powder in a bucket of boiling water and pour that on each kennel and leave for 15 minutes and then hose out.

All dog bowls and water buckets go in the dish washer.

I use eucalyptus oil with the steam mop for a fresh smell.

Superior Steel frames will never break, we sold hundreds of them per year at my work

As for pet loos do you mean the ones with the fake grass in them? Go to a synthetic turf retailer and ask for end of roll/offcuts you can get it for near nothing and just get some underbed storage containers (low flat ones) without wheels.