Tick Warning Seq Areas

dogbesotted

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 min south of Nowra

thanks, we get different stories from the locals there some say they get a lot others say they don't?

They are very regional. At home I've never had one. Near my brother's place I get them almost every time I take the dogs for a walk - we live 20 mins apart. From what I've been told they can also vary in how much they affect a dog from area to area. :(

ETA - we walk through the bush in both areas.

Edited by Agility Dogs

• 2 months later...

I moved to the Gold Coast . Mudgeeraba.. I did not realise how bad the tick season was and I lost Bruno to paralysis tick :cry: ...I had never seen one before and was usiing advantix on my dogs 4 wkly.

I don't want to lose Bella as well . I have learned that vomiting is the first sign and that if I had found taken him to the vet they can fix him...

Also, am checking poor bella twice a day... Poor dog....Also moving to 2 wkly advantix..

Do you guys know the high and low regions so I can find somewhere safer to live in Brisbane ?. :confused:

Come back Bruno, I miss you so much. :cry:

Paying off vet billl over 1.5 yrs :laugh:

Fido does a flea/tick rinse but you need to do it every 2 - 3 days for it to be effective. As a rinse you don't wash it off. I use Advantix spot on fortnightly and use the rinse on the rare occasion I may find a tick. I live in a high tick area.

If your dog goes swimming rinses wont be effective though. Just something to remember. I don't think there is an " off season" for ticks anymore. If there is I still wouldn't trust it. My Vet recommends fortnightly Advantix all year around in any tick regions as the off season for them is long gone unfortunately.

Aliwake I think the tick wash could have been Gammawash or Malawash, both of which contained dieldren, (sp?) and are now banned.

I wouldn't trust any shampoo with paralysis ticks - and Advantix needs to be applied religiously every 14 days to be effective. And I have still had a dog with a tick with Advantix.

Vomiting can be the first sign, but so can a little shakiness when standing or walking, or a cough or grunt.

My vet told me that the collars do work, but it depends on where the tick lodges, and how far it is from a blood vessel, as the chemicals travel along the blood vessels. I am not sure I believe that though!!

I recently took 2 ticks off my big puppy (8kg) - one was very engorged. Our ticks are really nasty for some reason. All the vets hate seeing tick dogs from my area.

I gave her 10 mls Vit c and another 10 mls 30 minutes later. In the am, she was fine, but I gave her 30 ml just in case. This is the injectable, but I gave it orally between the gum and cheek. No idea whether it worked, but she didn't need the vet, and she wasn't sick.

For me, it is always worth giving them Vit C.

Nothing is 100% to ensure a tick free dog. I have found Advantix is best for us but as Jed has said it MUST be reapplied every 14 days. I have reapplied a day earlier at times as I would rather be a a day early at 13 days than have a tick sick dog. We get some nasty ones here as well.

What I do is use Fido's fre-itch concentrate, I was just using permoxin but switched, it kills ticks including the paralysis tick and also prevents attachment, I just put a cap full in a trigger spray bottle and soak her with it every few days, pretty easy, it smells way better that just permoxin, I really like the smell of it lol!

What I do is use Fido's fre-itch concentrate, I was just using permoxin but switched, it kills ticks including the paralysis tick and also prevents attachment, I just put a cap full in a trigger spray bottle and soak her with it every few days

I do that, too!

Geez your lucky to only find your first one. We have not stopped all year. even in Winter. In the last week, we have noticed a drastic increase in them. with approximately 6 being taken off each dog daily - with twice daily checks.

I am up Samford Valley.

People in town don't tend to get them but we have a lot of bush around us and there are heaps

Such a broad statement like that can be so wrong. It can really depend on where you live and what you have around you. I know people who are in suburbia/town and have just as much problem as I do on acerage. Then for 17 years I was lucky. We never had a tick. In the last 5-6 years, they have been really bad here.

Possums, flying foxes (bats), scrub turkeys, bandicoots, crows, magpies to name a few are all native hosts to paralysis ticks. All these also live in suburbia.

I found front line useless, 6 days after using it my dog was at the vets with poisoning from three ticks. I now wash them weekly with a solution of permoxin. I was using collars until the younger or deided to ingest part of it, cost me nearly the same as treating for tick poisoning :(

Well I don’t know what say about ticks. I thought I would like to live some where I would not have to worry about them and thought the same about Cane Toads and Snakes and Spiders that bite dogs.

I first thought of Antarctica but that was far to cold for me and the dogs. Then I thought of that large building in Dubai. Thought an area on the top might be good, but then thought the dogs and I might just get blown off. New Zealand then came to mind and I thought that would be the answer, but then I just might get shaken off the Islands, so that was no good either. Ah, then what about the equator, Na, to hot and more nasties, so I have decided to do the same as you, stay here and put on the Flea products, the Tick products and keep the batteries up to scratch in the Snake Repeller's, go out at night and collect the Cane Toads.

Well what more can we do..........and then we still get caught...........Good Luck. :D

One of the reasons I live up here in the tablelands is there are no paralysis ticks or leeches either.

Im allergic to ticks and terrified of leeches!

If you live on the coast of Queensland or NSW you need to check your dogs twice a day EVERYDAY, even if you use preventatives.

I used to do it after my dogs had a swim it makes it easier to see them.

I lost one dog and nearly another, when I missed ticks at the end of tails.

Up here we don't have heartworm or ticks, we get cattle ticks once every ten years but that's it.

About 40ks east they have paralysis ticks though.

My Gilly had 3 bush ticks on him a few months ago, but someone had adgisted some cattle in the paddocks next door, they proberly came from the coast.

I complained to the ranger, because this is a tick free area, he said my dogs proberly got them from the coast!

I said nope they don't travel.

The cattle were gone the next day so someone listened to me!

They get fined if nothing is done about the cattle and the land.

Edited to say when there is a lot of rain you will get more ticks.

Looking at the future weather problems Id say ticks will be a major problem in the future because of floods and lots more rain on coastal areas.

Edited by gillybob

I agree, ticks will be a bigger problem with climate change.. I had never seen a tick as I come from Canberra. That's how I lost bruno :cry:

Checking bella daily. Don't want to lose another dog...

Is there somewhere where you can get someone to show you how to check for ticks? I have been doing it for two weeks but am still not confident of my skills.