Dogs Involved In Fatal Car Accident

DesertDobes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was another horrible and entirely preventable accident on the South Eastern Freeway near Bridgewater SA last week...

A woman stopped her car on the side of the road in the breakdown lane because it wouldn't go, and when she opened her car door - her dog got out ran onto the freeway, she chased it and both ended up dead. Really sad and nasty.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/reflex-action8217-drew-woman-to-catch-dog-and-be-fatally-struck-by-car-on-southeastern-freeway/story-fnii5yv7-1226707904104

The idea of carrying a card to alert emergency services about pets at home is a good idea.

There was also this one on the same tragic day on SA roads. :mad

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/puppy-may-have-defied-odds-in-triple-fatal-on-eyre-highway-near-penong/story-fni6uo1m-1226707315157

Kudos to you & yours DD for taking care of everyone.

Thank you "numpties with guns" (to quote another DOLer referring to police) for doing right by these dogs. :)

Absolutely.

You probably need to differentiate between numpty behaviour and the other sort :flower:

Because people do good things does not mean that the bad should be ignored.

Edited by Jed

So many tragic incidents happen in a split second.

Congratulations to your hubby and his colleague, Discodobe, and to you all for looking after these little dogs.

The idea of carrying a card to alert emergency services about pets at home is a good idea.

I believe the RSPCA has a special sticker that you can leave by your door alerting any services of the animals (numbers, etc) in the house in times of emergencies.

We used to have one of these and nearly had to use it during the Qld floods in (?) 2010/2011? If you are ever in an evac situation it helps to stick something on your front door to say x number of people and x number of animals evacuated. If any had to be left behind (like say a bird aviary) then a note about that is also useful to the vols, particularly if they come in post disaster as they can always check it those animals need food and water and have that attended to before you are allowed back into the area. I know we were passing on info down in Brissie to get food and water dropped to all the animals roaming the streets in the parts of Bundy that were cut off during the last disaster event and who were starting to suffer from dehydration and hunger.

Another consideration is if the pets also pass away during the accident, try to organise for the pets to be taken to the local vets so that the NOK can decide what to do with the remains. We attended one fatal car accident where the owner and the dog passed away. I took the dog to the local vets where the NOK were able to collect him. They had his ashes buried with his owner as their bond was that strong. The NOK were so grateful that they were still together at peace. It helped their grieving greatly.

Great job DD.

My homes lock screen has my details, as well as a message that I have dogs and who to call about them if I'm in an accident or emergency. I'm single and live alone so it could be a few days for anyone to realise that I'm in trouble - which means the dogs would be alone at home for that period. This way, emergency services know who to call.

Good News :happydance::happydance2::happydance::happydance2:

Family for the little dogs have been found!

And we found out their names are Jess and Sammy so we don't need to call them little boy and little girl anymore

Great news, poor little loves, so sad.

I think Police officers do an awesome job under very trying circumstances.

Awww.. a happy ending to a tragic accident .

Well Done - and I hope Jess & Sammy are pleased to be back with family :)

So pleased to hear that the family are coming to get Jess & Sammy. I remember hearing lately either on dol or FB that in the same circumstances the dog wasn't wanted by the family & was looking for a new home. :(

I know of a case here in QLD where the owner died in an accident, leaving behind two young, healthy and perfectly trained pure bred dogs (large breed). Despite advice and rehoming offers the family had both dogs pts on the basis they felt the dogs would miss their owner too much. Very sad but what can you do?

There was another horrible and entirely preventable accident on the South Eastern Freeway near Bridgewater SA last week...

A woman stopped her car on the side of the road in the breakdown lane because it wouldn't go, and when she opened her car door - her dog got out ran onto the freeway, she chased it and both ended up dead. Really sad and nasty.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/reflex-action8217-drew-woman-to-catch-dog-and-be-fatally-struck-by-car-on-southeastern-freeway/story-fnii5yv7-1226707904104

There was also this one on the same tragic day on SA roads. :mad

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/puppy-may-have-defied-odds-in-triple-fatal-on-eyre-highway-near-penong/story-fni6uo1m-1226707315157

Kudos to you & yours DD for taking care of everyone.

I was really happy when I spotted this update this evening....but then I read through and wasn't quite so happy....

My link

A PUPPY that emerged as the lone survivor from a Penong car accident that claimed three lives has found a new home.

Adopted by local farmer Georgie, who did not give her full name, the fox terrier-chihuahua cross, is now doing well and has been named Mazy.

The tiny terrier defied amazing odds to be alive today, after being found at the scene of the fatal crash late last month.

The story of survival took a twist after Georgie collected Mazy from local photographer Andrew Brooks, when another family came forward to claim the dog.

By then Georgie had "fallen in love'' with Mazy so she paid $100 to keep her.

"The lady took me back to meet her family and they were happy to see the pup,'' Georgie said. "I told them how I'd really like to have her and how I'd fallen in love her and they were happy for me to have her.

"It ($100) is a big price but she is really beautiful and, to me, she's worth the money.''

Mazy's sister and brother stayed with the family while Georgie took her new pet home to meet her new family.

"We already have a foxy-chihuahua cross and he was the main reason we wanted (Mazy),'' she said. "When she's older, I'd like to breed from them.''

Mazy was accidentally left in the car while the deceased visited friends at Yalata, near Ceduna. She travelled about 130km to Penong where the tragic accident occurred, killing two men, aged 46 and 56, and a woman, 45, all of Western Australia.

Amazingly, Mazy emerged from the wreckage unharmed and Georgie was touched when told of the pup's survival.

"I saw a picture of her and I was heartbroken for the poor thing. I fell in love with her straight away," she said.

"She's done really well (and) the vet gave her all her injections and she's perfect. She's a great little dog."