Need Help With Japanese Spitz

Clarabelle

Hello guys ! I just got my JS a few days ago and he is such a sweetheart. He follows us around and is really quiet ( like seriously he doesnt bark at all ) even when we bring him out for walks and the other dogs are crazily barking at him. The only time he barked was at a screeching sound made by a truck. However, there are some queries about him. He is noticed to have creamy/brown patches of fur just around his ears, attached will be some photos of him. Also, he is generally bigger than normal JS, he is about 42cm in height and weighs about 15.5 KG.He is not overweight im fairly sure as we checked and we could feel his ribs and see his waist. Could I have ended up with a cross breed ? And if it is a cross breed what breed do you think he was crossed with? Last issue with him is that he doesn't pee and poo in the apartment much. He would hold all his pee and poo till his walk, we walk him everyday for an hour in the evening, and he would go holding his pee and poo for more than 14 hours. ): Could i have some advices please ! Thank you so much laugh.gif

48rXuXA.jpg

KbT4iQ8.jpg

nJpTaEq.jpg

piOHFbp.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very pretty fellow!

I think it is great that he isn't toileting in the apartment! Would it be possible to take him out more often so that he doesn't have to hold on for so long? It doesn't have to be for a long walk, just a little 'pee break'. Eg when you wake up, then before you go to work, then as soon as you get home from work, then your walk, then before bed etc.

It's great that he doesn't pee in the apartment , I would also take him out more often if you are concerned, just for a short pee/poop break.

If you didn't get him from a registered pedigree breeder then I would say he is a cross of some sort as the breed standard for a Japanese Spitz says the weight range is 6-8kgs and height 14.5 inches (around 32 cm).

poor boy :( he is so well housetrained that he will hold on for way too long.

I agree - give him more opportunity to empty out - this will keep him comfortable.

A toilet break is different to a walk :) When you take him for the 5-10 minutes needed for a toilet break .. tell him it's for wees or, for a 'busy' time - whatever term you like . That way , over some time, he will learn .. :)

he's got a lovely sweet face !! :D

Thanks guys ! He is very sweet isn't he ! I'm so used to having puppies soiling my floor every now and then that it's unbelievable what a good boy he is ! I will definitely bring him out more to pee and poo (: His fur is a little frizzy , was thinking of seeking some reviews on any good conditioner or moisturizer . Thanks !

Thanks guys ! He is very sweet isn't he ! I'm so used to having puppies soiling my floor every now and then that it's unbelievable what a good boy he is ! I will definitely bring him out more to pee and poo (: His fur is a little frizzy , was thinking of seeking some reviews on any good conditioner or moisturizer . Thanks !

I think what you're looking at is dead coat that needs to come out.

I'd say he needs a really good bath and a thorough brush to remove that coat.

I think what you're looking at is dead coat that needs to come out.

I'd say he needs a really good bath and a thorough brush to remove that coat.

Oh really ? Okay thanks ! I will bring him to a groomers ASAP then (: any good groomers around VIC Clayton ?

I think he looks just beautiful,so sweet!He is very like my male JS who passed about a year ago.I miss him so much,.I still have Lulu ,female

JS who is very much smaller at 6kg.Suki was about 11kg and taller.Lulu came from reputable breeder but looks more like a pom,with round eyes,so who knows!Fortunately she is pet only and very sweet but really happy.She also goes very long time between wee as did Suki,wonder if it's a breed trait....They are known as Teflon dogs,as their coat is self cleaning ,although I brush Lu every few days, and have her groomed every couple of months.They make beautiful pets,but unfortunately not so easy to get in NZ . :)

I think he looks just beautiful,so sweet!He is very like my male JS who passed about a year ago.I miss him so much,.I still have Lulu ,female

JS who is very much smaller at 6kg.Suki was about 11kg and taller.Lulu came from reputable breeder but looks more like a pom,with round eyes,so who knows!Fortunately she is pet only and very sweet but really happy.She also goes very long time between wee as did Suki,wonder if it's a breed trait....They are known as Teflon dogs,as their coat is self cleaning ,although I brush Lu every few days, and have her groomed every couple of months.They make beautiful pets,but unfortunately not so easy to get in NZ . :)

Awwww . Both of them sound so sweet ! Like one of the advisers said , he's probably shedding and needs to go to a professional groomer ASAP ! I brush my boy 3 times a day cause he've just been shedding everywhere ! Furballs rolling around hahaha . Yup this breed isn't easy to get in VIC either , chanced upon his advertisement just after I had to let my pom go ~ was grieving but he proved to be a godsend this sweet boy (: my Pom was really yappy too ! This boy just gives out hushed cries and whimpers and he even snores when he sleep for like 5 seconds or so and then it stops ! Really adorable .

He's a lovely boy. My little runt JS has the same creamy brown fur under his ears too, not so bad now but as a baby it was very noticeable. I think it's just the wax coming from his ears. Agree with the others, he needs to go out more often to relieve himself. My little fellow holds on all night & some mornings doesn't want to get up in the morning to go. Sometimes when he does go 1st thing he's going for what seems like a minute or 2. :laugh:

Forgot to ask, how old is he? & what's his name?

Edited by luvsdogs

Lovely new Spritz family member Clarabelle. 14 hours between toilet breaks is a bit too long IMHO & others I gather so yes I would be taking him for quick "wee" breaks through out the day.

I don't have a Spritz but I have always wanted one. With my very untrained eye he looks very much a pedigree to me but there are plenty of breed savvy folks on here that will be able to set me straight if I am wrong.

Such a pretty breed & very smart by all accounts. Enjoy him :)

Hi!!

Naww, he looks like a cutie/sweetie! :) Some JS are bigger than some, it depends on their lines. Although, he could be a cross but he doesn't look like it. My girl is a tall girl, she is about 14" but she weight 6.5kg (although I do keep her lean on purpose). I have met male JS big as yours and weights 10kg+.

My girl has cream stain around her ears too and it's a bit fuzzy, but I think it's due to the fact that her Samoyed brother likes using her ear as a chew toy though.

Agree with the others about the toilet thing, he needs to get out often.. although what a good fella for holding it and not messing up the apartment.

He's a lovely boy. My little runt JS has the same creamy brown fur under his ears too, not so bad now but as a baby it was very noticeable. I think it's just the wax coming from his ears. Agree with the others, he needs to go out more often to relieve himself. My little fellow holds on all night & some mornings doesn't want to get up in the morning to go. Sometimes when he does go 1st thing he's going for what seems like a minute or 2. :laugh:

Forgot to ask, how old is he? & what's his name?

Thank you (: if only he can hear all the lovely things about him * grins * hahaha . I feel myself getting more anxious for the dog than the dog himself ): he always seem so chill lazing at home :D he's 11 months turning 1 soon ! And his name is Maple (:

Lovely new Spritz family member Clarabelle. 14 hours between toilet breaks is a bit too long IMHO & others I gather so yes I would be taking him for quick "wee" breaks through out the day.

I don't have a Spritz but I have always wanted one. With my very untrained eye he looks very much a pedigree to me but there are plenty of breed savvy folks on here that will be able to set me straight if I am wrong.

Such a pretty breed & very smart by all accounts. Enjoy him :)

Thank you very much ! And I most certainly will enjoy him !

Hi!!

Naww, he looks like a cutie/sweetie! :) Some JS are bigger than some, it depends on their lines. Although, he could be a cross but he doesn't look like it. My girl is a tall girl, she is about 14" but she weight 6.5kg (although I do keep her lean on purpose). I have met male JS big as yours and weights 10kg+.

My girl has cream stain around her ears too and it's a bit fuzzy, but I think it's due to the fact that her Samoyed brother likes using her ear as a chew toy though.

Agree with the others about the toilet thing, he needs to get out often.. although what a good fella for holding it and not messing up the apartment.

How do you keep her lean ? Mine doesn't eat much at all and he's so fat ! Hahahaha ! Fat genes . Aww that's so sweet ! In the near future I would love to have two dogs and see them get along :D jealous *

Emmy is just a very active dog and I'm pretty strict with her diet - if it was up to her she will eat 24/7; she loves FOOD! Also, Emmy gets walked everyday (sometimes twice a day) and she gets opportunity for a lot of free running. Having another dog does help with exercise too :p

Edited by W Sibs

How do you keep her lean ? Mine doesn't eat much at all and he's so fat !

My guess is because he hasn't had much exercise, and he gets more food than he needs ...

Two walks a day would be terrific for his wellbeing , physical and psychological :)

I know you say how wonderful he is ... has he lived the apartment life before?

he may get bored/frustrated after some weeks of sitting inside all day ..and you may well see some behaviour change. At present everything is novel , and for all he knows, tomorrow he might be doing something different ;)

How do you keep her lean ? Mine doesn't eat much at all and he's so fat !

My guess is because he hasn't had much exercise, and he gets more food than he needs ...

Two walks a day would be terrific for his wellbeing , physical and psychological :)

I know you say how wonderful he is ... has he lived the apartment life before?

he may get bored/frustrated after some weeks of sitting inside all day ..and you may well see some behaviour change. At present everything is novel , and for all he knows, tomorrow he might be doing something different ;)

His last owner although had a yard kept him indoors the whole time , ahhhhh fingers crossed cause now he's such an angel , the last owner said he had toys but yet they didn't bring any toys over , ( kinda shady owners ) didn't reply my texts when I started questioning about the dog , sigh .. Maybe I will start buying some toys for maple , but not sure as to what he wants . He sleeps ALOT . And he doesn't even bite anything around the house . Would giving him toys to play with start that habit of biting house furniture ? ):

Its seems you don't know a lot about owning a dog atm, so perhaps Pers could link you to some good threads to read up on?

He certainly can't hold on that long it would be painful with a bladder that full.

Perhaps the JS people here could list a regular routine for you, exercise grooming etc.

He will take time to adjust to his new home, so he may change in a few weeks when he has settled in.