Need Help With Japanese Spitz

Clarabelle

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be off base, impossible to tell on an internet description, but the way he tried to hold on for so many hours before and now he eats it, almost like a dog scared to mess inside, maybe punished for pooping so much previously he is hiding the evidence by eating it. Poor dog, sounds quite stressed. Certainly not touching you with a mucky paw on purpose to be dirty. Dogs have some behaviours that are very gross to us, but not to them. Dealing with that is part of caring for them

he does it only when we're not looking or when we leave the house for a really brief period of time. I guess his last owner really got him scared of messing up the house.

Maybe, I am only guessing. Whatever the cause you just need to deal with it and retrain him now, I am sure you will get lots of suggestions. I would take him out often, praise him for pooping outside, even give him a food treat for it, and get his diet right, not too high in fat.

Good point Diva. Actually, several good points.

Mm, I got the impression the suspected poo eating happens when the pup is home by himself.

Clarabelle, to be honest I would probably slow down a bit in changing things for him, poor doggy is in a new situation and has come from a bit of an unknown background. I know you are doing everything you can to help him be a happy, healthy dog but change is stressful for any dog, especially a not super confident one, so it will help him to take things slowly.

You've introduced a new exercise and toilet break routine and changed his feeding already, I personally would leave things as they are now for at least a week or two, give him lots of positive interactions with you and let him settle in and start to trust you.

Once he has settled in and realised this is his home, you are his people and he is safe and cared for then you can move forward with getting his diet more ideal (another wek or so of eating a bit too much won't hurt him) and with training him more of what you specifically want him to do and not do.

Don't get discouraged, the early days are often the hardest but you can get there!

ETA I do agree with praising and even treating for toileting outside, even if that's a new thing it's a positive interaction with you!

Edited by Simply Grand

Are you home during the day? I think it's mean to expect a dog to hold on all day, he really should be given the opportunity to toilet outside more often. Of course he's going to get poo everywhere inside, he is a big dog!

There is a woman in Victoria ago runs an advisory type thing to help people with their dogs diet. She s a trained vet nurse and very experienced. I am sure she could help you with everything else too, behaviour, your expectations etc. as far as I know she can do email support type help. Anyway, business is called Absolute Animal Care. I don't know how to link to it from my iPad sorry, will try to find it from pc tomorrow.

Also remember .. .. his behaviour will continue to change as he realises he is there to stay , and as he forms his own new habits ..these habits may not be ideal :(

However he has only a doggie brain with which to think ..so he will do things which upset and frustrate you . He can never understand things like humans do ..and therefore his way of dealing with confinement /stress/ excitement may seem a bit 'different' at first.

Most foster carers will tell you that it takes at the very least 3 weeks for a foster dog to start to settle into a new home.

Give him time, reduce his food, give him plenty of exercise and get his coat groomed - all good advice given previously.

Also humanising him will only cause you and him more issues - he is a dog, they don't think or act like we do.