Need Help With Japanese Spitz

Clarabelle

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't envy you with the dieting - I'm too much of a pushover. Plus it must be really hard monitoring their weight under all that fluff!

Interesting that you and your partner had different interpretations of the vet ... that may be a male / female communication gap as well? It does sound like it was an extra unnecessary stress to give the pup a needle for DNA test when Maple was already freaking out, but I am far from an expert.

Now that I think about it, I have only ever talked to my vet without the pups present... I usually drop them off with the vet nurses and pick them up in the afternoon after speaking to the vet. :-/ I know that the vet nurses are excellent with them ... the puppies have obviously not been too traumatized while at the vets because they are more excited to go their and get cuddles from the nurses than when we go to the park or the beach :laugh: . I am now a bit concerned that I haven't seen how the actual vet interacts with them though.

I don't envy you with the dieting - I'm too much of a pushover. Plus it must be really hard monitoring their weight under all that fluff!

Interesting that you and your partner had different interpretations of the vet ... that may be a male / female communication gap as well? It does sound like it was an extra unnecessary stress to give the pup a needle for DNA test when Maple was already freaking out, but I am far from an expert.

Now that I think about it, I have only ever talked to my vet without the pups present... I usually drop them off with the vet nurses and pick them up in the afternoon after speaking to the vet. :-/ I know that the vet nurses are excellent with them ... the puppies have obviously not been too traumatized while at the vets because they are more excited to go their and get cuddles from the nurses than when we go to the park or the beach :laugh: . I am now a bit concerned that I haven't seen how the actual vet interacts with them though.

Don't worry too much about it. If they were traumatized with the vet, they'll still be traumatized when they leave the room. I would know cause Maple was all wobbly when he left ( he kept slipping on the hard wood floor, like his legs were jelly ) He's too big for me to carry or else i would ! Yeah maybe, but i definitely bringing my baby to another vet next time ! :D yeah only my partner can take his weight by carrying him onto the weighing machine then subtracting his own personal weight laugh.gif

yeah only my partner can take his weight by carrying him onto the weighing machine then subtracting his own personal weight laugh.gif

That's how I do it :)

It's impossible with the fluffies to visually check their weight, which is why it can creep on if you don't keep an eye on it. Our Cocker recently lost a nearly couple of kgs (from 16.1 to 14.5) but I didn't see any difference in him other than feeling for his ribs, although now he's been clipped you can see he has a waist again :cheer:

I just check their ribs regularly as well. With Collie I reduced his dinner amount and removed his snacks all together, lucky for me I was the one feeding him and he would go to my OH with the puppy dog eyes so no guilt trip for me. Now he's lighter and I can feel his ribs easily I've kept his dinners the same (helped by the new spaniel bowl as it's a lot smaller) and just reintroduced snacks and he's been fine.

Hopefully Maple sparks up when he gets the weight off, let us know how he goes

My Suki, I wrote about earlier sounds so like Maple in nature!When I got him was told by breeder he was a year old and been retrieved by her after owner ill treated him.Turned out when his papers arrived he was 2 yrs and so timid he would wet himself if somebody knocked on the door etc.The vet suggested I not keep him as he was so traumatized he would not improve!It took a couple of years work to calm him,although he remained a very timid dog.He was just so loving,loyal and affectionate I was always so glad I didn't give up on him.Unfortunately living in Ch Ch. the earthquakes took a huge toll on most dogs....many died of fright.Bub as I called him was terrified so while the big ones were happening I took both the dogs to a friend on a farm 100 miles away....not ideal but much better ,as our house eventually came down.We live rurally now,on many acres and Bub would have loved it....however he didn't make it and his heart stopped during a small op.Apparently fear had weakened his sweet little heart.Tears flowing now as I recall the wee soul!Sorry to get off the track I just wanted to tell you you will be blessed with your wee baby as I was with my beautiful Bub!

My Suki, I wrote about earlier sounds so like Maple in nature!When I got him was told by breeder he was a year old and been retrieved by her after owner ill treated him.Turned out when his papers arrived he was 2 yrs and so timid he would wet himself if somebody knocked on the door etc.The vet suggested I not keep him as he was so traumatized he would not improve!It took a couple of years work to calm him,although he remained a very timid dog.He was just so loving,loyal and affectionate I was always so glad I didn't give up on him.Unfortunately living in Ch Ch. the earthquakes took a huge toll on most dogs....many died of fright.Bub as I called him was terrified so while the big ones were happening I took both the dogs to a friend on a farm 100 miles away....not ideal but much better ,as our house eventually came down.We live rurally now,on many acres and Bub would have loved it....however he didn't make it and his heart stopped during a small op.Apparently fear had weakened his sweet little heart.Tears flowing now as I recall the wee soul!Sorry to get off the track I just wanted to tell you you will be blessed with your wee baby as I was with my beautiful Bub!

My heart goes out to you.. i don't think i mentioned maple being timid but he is really timid, he gets scared just about by anything.. like when the door creeks or the wind blows or even when we get off the seat and there's just a small thump he'll jump. No idea why. One think he's really afraid of is tearing of paper.. no worries about getting off track..in fact thanks for sharing such a sweet story. Its stories like this that makes me learn how to cherish Maple before he's gone (:

Okay news update ! Maple is acting DESPERATE for food. He would jump up onto the kitchen counter/ sink to sniff around. He's having food withdrawal symptoms ): He keeps creeping up to me and giving me puppy eyes like he's trying to tell me I AM HUNGRY ! GIVE MEEE FOOD ! hahahaha. i tried to give him carrot, he only had a few nibbles.. I'm gna try apples for his night snack later, hopefully he enjoys it better ! Also, I'm trying to find a decent groomer around VIC clayton area, or any good intro to mobile groomers. Thanks :D

This dog is not hungry or starving, you need to just ignore him ,he already knows how to play you. It will do him no good health wise, plus he needs to know you are in charge.

Walk away or ignore him, he will not die because he isn't constantly fed, but will if he gets heart problems because he is too fat.

I know you feel sorry for him, but you have to toughen up, he won't hate you for it.

Okay Maple is acting strange... He seems really frustrated and would throw tantrums on his bed, he would begin to scratch it rapidly ( something we've never observed him to do ) Like he's pissed and distressed.. Could there be anything wrong with him or the diet? We still bring him for 2 walks a day.

haha see this is what happens when they know how cute they are... I'm sure he is convinced that he will have you wrapped around his fluffy little paw in no time!

My puppies are always super excited to get the special treat of ... an ice cube! no calories in that! :laugh: Not sure if this would work for you thoug, I sometimes think mine are a little 'special' when it comes to some things :p

hmm just read your last post ... maybe he is just feeling comfortable and secure enough in his new home to express his feelings?? Sorry - as you can tell, no dog psychiatry expertise here :(

haha its okay ! i just scolded him ! he stopped right after and went to sleep :D my boyfriend said the names of your dogs are cute :D

It's hard to know what he's doing without seeing it but "digging" at beds, blankets etc is a pretty normal thing that dogs do and often it's a happy play thing. Could be him coming out of his shell.

If he doesn't do it for too long (maybe a minute or two?) then settles down for a rest I'd probably let him do it :)

This dog is not hungry or starving, you need to just ignore him ,he already knows how to play you. It will do him no good health wise, plus he needs to know you are in charge.

Walk away or ignore him, he will not die because he isn't constantly fed, but will if he gets heart problems because he is too fat.

I know you feel sorry for him, but you have to toughen up, he won't hate you for it.

yes. agree.

It is hard work for you both ..especially YOU ..as you need to learn to be firm and loving ..and to ignore all his 'cute' ploys ;)

and , a warning about getting him groomed . he may very well react as he did at the vets :( :( be very careful . if he is such a timid/nervous dog you really do need professional help ASAP , just so he can hopefully learn to accept 'normal' events .