Suitable Things To Tear?

Shakti

Hi all - our baby girl just 14 weeks old loves to chew which is cool and we have a lot of toys for her BUT she prefers things she can tear such as toilet paper rolls (still full) and foam etc. I am terrified she may accidentally swallow this stuff and keep re-directing her to her more *appropriate* toys but I was wondering if there are other toys that she could safely tear to pieces??

Empty toilet rolls and cardboard boxes were Jagers favourite as a puppy. Loved to rip them up and if he ate some, didnt matter.

He also loved (and still does love) empty coke bottles. Remove the lid and the plastic ring, Jager pouces on them and they fly across the room and he chases after it. When he is bored of that, i use the squashed bottles (they always end up squashed) and i put his breakfast in it, because it is squashed the kibble doesnt come out as easy so he has to push it around and flip it over to get it all out. Just be warned that if you have floorboards, it is REALLY loud!

My 18 month old Pug comes running through the house when he hears us finish the toilet paper, he waits eagerly for the toilet roll then chases it around the house and eats it (or, half of it before his sister steals it) :laugh:

It's just a bit of fibre.

we've been using cardboard boxes as well and hes over the moon with them, wont spent any time with his long but a cardboard box entertains him for hours. hasn't swallowed any as far as we know and doesn't look to have any interest in doing some, give it a go and see how it goes down.

Empty milk bottles minus their top are the biggest hit here. I leave a dribble of milk in them so my guys flip straight on their backs & hold the bottle with their feet to get all the milk out. Then it's game on pushing it around with their noses & going loonie :)

Plastic bottles and metal cans have the additional benefit of making the pup tolerant of loud, sudden noises. They may be problematic if the pup is in the house and you value your sleep.

I wonder if anyone has researched the relationship between toys in puppyhood and fear of loud noises in adulthood.

wow - have only just checked this thread and so many GREAT ideas! I am very relieved about the cardboard and am off to find some suitable plastic bottles, toilet rolls, newspaper, fluffy old socks and kibble - PAAAAARRRRTTTTY!!!

Thank you to everyone who replied - I am rapt!