Rocky Smashes

princeza_b

Maybe you could run a couple of those hose sprinkler thingies along the fence and turn them on for the hour that school gets out? That would keep him away from the fence at least. If he tends to eat them, you'd have to pack them up each day and put them out again.

The collar grab - might be safer if you trained it first... ie practice grabbing his collar and giving him a treat, gradually increase the speed that you grab the collar at... pair this with a treat and then your hand reaching for him might mean something different to the point he forgets that he was trying to get through the fence.

But grabbing collar and busting your hand - yikes. I'm glad my dog isn't quite big enough and the collar isn't tight enough for her to do that. I think I'd chuck a towel over her head instead or use it to block the fence from her (like a bull fighter) maybe.

It's a pity a basic temporary fence is not possible.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who feels the idea of a dog aggressive/possibly people aggressive dog that knocks down fences is a terrifying prospect? Regardless of the fact that you suspect someone is deliberately antagonising him, if he were to break down the fence he could really hurt a person or possibly injure or kill someone else's dog who was doing nothing more than being walked on lead. You will have to get a dog run if the fence is not sufficient to contain him. In the meantime, you might have to keep him with you inside and only allow him out on leash while you sort out something more secure.

It could be an absolute disaster for all concerned if he were to get out.

"he also does the same at the backfence as well since my neighbour's toddler threw stuff over the fence... i know the kid was only playing but he still jumps at the same spot."

This is of particular concern.

Edited by WeimMe

Good suggestions for dealing with your dog when people and dogs come down the lane way.

I am assuming DDs suggestion about turning the hose on the kid is tongue in cheek and joking as it is actually assault to do so :D But I could completely understand why you

would want to do that

Not really. Accidents do happen, particularly as hosing can be quite a Zen activity :) :)

No worries, lets just hope that the kid and his parents aren't too clued up on the law then.

A person close to me was charged with assault for hosing a neighbour once.. The neighbour obtained an apprehended violence order against her and she has a criminal record..

Edited by Staffyluv

just to clarify... rocky had had food aggression at 1st but doesnt have tht anymore... he isnt dog or ppl aggressive at all... having him indoors isnt really an option... the house is way too small/compact... religious reasons dont allow it either... but the main reason is tht my cats dont like the dogs... even tho my oldest cat used to babysit cuddles as a pup... go figure lol...

rocky's bark is not even dominant let alone aggressive... its more high pitched... its the same as when he plays with me n cuddles...

i think the best option would be the electric fence... i'll have a look into tht... i would love to change the fencing tho but i cant... i'd most definitely change the colourbond gates at the front n put welded mesh but i cant even get the landlord to fix the leaking hot water tank lol...

so thnx for all the suggestions... much appreciated...

You can strengthen colorbond fences by inserting screws in the top and bottom rails and through the fence panels. You can also use buried wire containment systems on low power to discourage the dog from approaching the fence. I think Steve from K9Pro markets them.

You don't need paperwork to register your dog with the council. Go in & say you want to register a dog & they will give you a form to fill in. You don't have to say where you got him from. The rule is that you must register a dog over 3 or 6 months ( varies )living on your premises not state where obtained from or similar.

Sounds like the poor dog has landed in heaven with you after its previous life.

What about keeping him inside with you & when he needs to go out you go with him.

Maybe pop him on a lead at school times & firmly tell him no & to sit when he wants to lunge at the fence, treat if he likes them, & try & train him out of it.

On lead outside at the end of the alley so he can see the kids coming down it out of school may help if he is friendly. No use if he isn't.

Put a camera on top of the fence where the brat kid kicks, even a fake one may scare him off. Good luck. Hard situation.

If the chip doesn't match the new owner's name they won't register (NSW). So unless AAA have processed things and paperwork is lost in the mail, this dog's chip has to be sorted out first. Will probably involve a stat dec to sort out.

Fencing..it's a worry, even if he gets through the fence and does nothing but surprise someone you'll have the rangers there. It won't matter if the person provoked him. Training forum might help you with desensitising techniques because you need to break this habit as well as making it difficult to continue.

edited to add: if Rocky was listed on PetRescue you can ask them to help chase up paperwork.

Edited by Powerlegs

I have to say I'm thinking along the same lines as BlackJaq and WeimMe, I really think the only safe option for Rocky is a secure dog run, or maybe a second fence - I'm in iPhone so can't see your location but I think in general tenants are permitted to erect temporary structures on rental property so long as the property can be returned to its original condition on vacating.

You can't control the world outside, all you can effectively do is manage your own dog and your own property.

If I was walking past and your dog bashed through the fence I would have the ranger there so fast your head would spin. Who knows what he might do in such a state of heightened arousal. So it would be best for everyone if you could attend to the issue as quickly as possible. You wouldn't want to be responsible for some old lady having a heart attack.

Please don't recommend that people in NSW use electric fencing - it is a cruelty offence to use an electric fence to keep a dog in. I personally think it is a stupid cruelty offence, but it is an offence.

Not if they use it in conjunction with a 1.8 (?) metre fence.

Edit: Correction... 1.5m and it has to be a pingg string or similar device.

Schedule 3 Electrical devices

The device sold under the name Pingg String (including any similar device delivering an electric shock of no greater intensity or duration than a Pingg String)

Confining dogs or cats, but only if used inside a fence through which dogs or cats cannot pass and that is at least 1.5 metres high

From the NSW Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (POCTAA)

Edited by melzawelza

he wasnt on any website... i actually went into AAA to look at another dog i saw on AAAs website but tht dog attacked my girl (who since has crossed the bridge) n i asked if they had any other "big boy breeds" tht fell in the adolescent age range n rocky had according to them only been with them for 3 weeks... there wasnt even a similar looking dog to him on any website...

.. the scars he has n the inch or so missing from his tail tells me he'd been abused n attacked by other dogs.

I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible - there are quite a few explanations for scars and a missing tail tip and abuse or dog attacks are only some of them. Sounds to me like you're on the path of attempting to justify Rocky's fence aggression. It won't help you or him at all.

.. his food aggression n need to gulp food down also his ribs sticking out were signs tht he was starved...

Ditto. You're talking about resource aggression and in many dogs it comes hard wired. I've actually heard a US dog rescue guru say she saw less food aggression in starved dogs than in fat ones. You're inventing a history of abuse here and it again won't help your dog.

Sounds to me like you've got a pretty shabbily put together colourbond fence (not uncommon) that will not withstand any kind of force. You need to keep your dog off the fence. I expect you might now know why he spent time on a chain. :(

Invest in a good fenced run. They are portable and IMO the only guaranteed method of keeping your dog safe in your yard when you aren't around. If he gets out and scares the wrong dog owner, you'll see him declared dangerous and that's an outcome you need to avoid at all costs. The worst case scenario is that he attacks a dog or a person and that will bring the police to your door.

You need to stop feeling sorry for this dog and DEAL with his potentially dangerous behaviour. Inventing a sad past won't help you or him if it leads to council and/or police involvement.. If your dog came through the fence at me when I was walking my dogs, I'd be calling the rangers pronto. The fact that he isn't registered will see you cop fines for a start.

You might also wish to consider that you've bitten off more than you can chew with this dog. It doesn't sound like the place you got him from had your best interests in mind. He sounds like quite a handful.

Is he desexed?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

AAA , are not a rescue, they charge a fortune for people to surrender their dogs ( my neighbour paid $500 each to surrender 2 greys).

There are lots of threads about them. :mad

Don't make assumptions as to what happened in his past, get a good solid run for him ,or keep him away from the fence.

I live with church land behind me and used to have kids hopping over the corner of my fence to get across to Macca's, hose works a treat :laugh:

.. the scars he has n the inch or so missing from his tail tells me he'd been abused n attacked by other dogs.

I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible - there are quite a few explanations for scars and a missing tail tip and abuse or dog attacks are only some of them. Sounds to me like you're on the path of attempting to justify Rocky's fence aggression. It won't help you or him at all.

.. his food aggression n need to gulp food down also his ribs sticking out were signs tht he was starved...

Ditto. You're talking about resource aggression and in many dogs it comes hard wired. I've actually heard a US dog rescue guru say she saw less food aggression in starved dogs than in fat ones. You're inventing a history of abuse here and it again won't help your dog.

Sounds to me like you've got a pretty shabbily put together colourbond fence (not uncommon) that will not withstand any kind of force. You need to keep your dog off the fence. I expect you might now know why he spent time on a chain. :(

Invest in a good fenced run. They are portable and IMO the only guaranteed method of keeping your dog safe in your yard when you aren't around. If he gets out and scares the wrong dog owner, you'll see him declared dangerous and that's an outcome you need to avoid at all costs. The worst case scenario is that he attacks a dog or a person and that will bring the police to your door.

You need to stop feeling sorry for this dog and DEAL with his potentially dangerous behaviour. Inventing a sad past won't help you or him if it leads to council and/or police involvement.. If your dog came through the fence at me when I was walking my dogs, I'd be calling the rangers pronto. The fact that he isn't registered will see you cop fines for a start.

You might also wish to consider that you've bitten off more than you can chew with this dog. It doesn't sound like the place you got him from had your best interests in mind.

Is he desexed?

Definitely all of the above.

Oh :(

So it seems the place from where Rocky came doesn't do a lot of assessing or follow up ? What advice have they given you about the fence smashing ?

That makes things even harder. It would be such a heartbreak if something were to happen to him - did you say you were training him as an assistance dog? For cuddles or you ?

I really do think the opinion of a solid and trusted professional would be of help. We can only suggest things as we have not seen your boy in action

Please don't recommend that people in NSW use electric fencing - it is a cruelty offence to use an electric fence to keep a dog in. I personally think it is a stupid cruelty offence, but it is an offence.

Not if they use it in conjunction with a 1.8 (?) metre fence.

Edit: Correction... 1.5m and it has to be a pingg string or similar device.

Schedule 3 Electrical devices

The device sold under the name Pingg String (including any similar device delivering an electric shock of no greater intensity or duration than a Pingg String)

Confining dogs or cats, but only if used inside a fence through which dogs or cats cannot pass and that is at least 1.5 metres high

From the NSW Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (POCTAA)

Very handy to know!!! Thank you.