Toy Poodle Puppy In Crate

htmfdq

pooing on the concrete is better than pooing in the crate!

I too think the courtyard sounds like a good place to leave your pup. As long as it's very secure, and the pup has access to the crate, and toys and water, it should be all good.

Agreed. Pooing anywhere outside is a Very Good Thing ;)

Actually he has been very good. He sleeps in his crate from 10:pm till 7am without toilet breaks and he does not dirty his crate.

ANy puppy can dig, just a smaller hole for a toy puppy. If you are concerned go to bunnings and buy some mesh then get some tent pegs and peg the mesh down from the base of the fence. That way if puppy wants to dig out they have to dig right under the mesh and the fence

Irrespective of this one day pup needs to learn to be independent & enjoy being alone so starting now is perfect

Toy breed doesn't equate to special needs ,there dogs and more than capable of being outside at times & enjoying life & snakes will affect any dog no matter what the size ,birds can happen but it low & the are for them to grab need sto be suitable for there wing span,we have eagles here & i doubt to many will low fly into a court yard

The only thing i would be thinking off is the feed routine on that day as its going to miss a meal unless you are only doing two feeds??Maybe she can arrange if travel is close during the lunch to pop home for a small period to check pup & feed .

If you truly worried about outside than get a baby gate & shut in the laundry/bathroom so it still has airflow or buy the compost panels from Bunnings & place something heavy infront (we use both with our litters when inside plus a good play pen we tell all our puppy buyers to get a play pen our if you have another room that got air flow & pup can be left in for the day use that.

All i would suggest if outside then make sure there are no large water bowls or the likes if pup falls in .

When my mini poodle pup came home I had a large puppy playpen with a cheap blue tarpaulin on floor uner it and paper in one area + the airline crate she came home in and she would go into crate of own undertaking to sleep and come out and wander around pen and use paper to toilet this was an interim situation due to introducing to other older dog etc. when I went out I actually took her with me in the crate and I had a small camping fan which I attached to door to keep her cool, we were able to let her out several times during day while I was out and she was very hppy to be around me and other dog etc, so i am sure if you took her in crate to school carnival park vehicle in shade and use fan etc and you could be close by you could even have her in your shelter etc. Not sure how your school sports carnivals are done but ours are on an open field sports facility away from school where all schools meet at and we have gazebos up etc just like dog shows except we are watching the kids LOL so I am sure she would be fine to accompany you for the day or as someone else suggested maybe breeder would take her for the day, I would not want to leave a toy size very young poodle alone unsupervised for that long.

post-34794-0-78007400-1378709821_thumb.jpg

A freiend who is a vet said to me that it is actually kind to get them to learn to be separate and alone because one day they may need to stay overnight at the vet's or at a kennel and if they have alone time as part of their day it is much less stressful. So you are doing something good for the pup, balanced with all that interaction and socializing stuff they need (will leave that to others to explain :laugh: )

A freiend who is a vet said to me that it is actually kind to get them to learn to be separate and alone because one day they may need to stay overnight at the vet's or at a kennel and if they have alone time as part of their day it is much less stressful. So you are doing something good for the pup, balanced with all that interaction and socializing stuff they need (will leave that to others to explain :laugh: )

Definitely - puppies need to learn that to be alone is a good thing and the sooner it starts, obviously in small doses the better. My Whippet puppy people have been told this as well. Whippets love people and are velcro dogs so they need to have it reinforced from a young age that to be alone is not a bad thing.

:thumbsup: terrific to start early :)

Your pup shouldn't be left that long without food either. Definitely go for a play pen. Prepare for neighbour complaints. I'd be expecting a fair bit of noise from a pup left alone for that long. Can someone pop back at lunchtime to feed the pup and give it a bit of company?

Unless a dog door is something you are planning on installing, you are going to need some decent outside shelter for the pup. If it rains or is hot or cold, a crate won't cut it.

8wks old is very young and small in toy breeds, I'd do puppy pen inside. Then work on outside or alone time in smaller chunks than a sudden all day break in the yard.

Edited by Powerlegs

At 8 weeks mine are left inside in our kitchen or laundry - both of which we can close off and ensure there is nothing to harm them. They have their beds, toys and food and water down and the temperature is more controlled than outside. I'd not be leaving such a baby puppy outside at 8 weeks. Also if you do leave him outside, make sure there is no way that someone could steal him. That would be very tempting if someone hears a baby puppy crying and they go to investigate.

The crate size is about a pp20 & I wouldn't leave or advise anyone to leave any pup in that for any longer than needed, as in travelling. Dividing it to a 12 inch space & leaving it in for hours is unimagineable :eek:

Puppy farmers keep them in those kind of spaces & areas.

The pup will be fine left alone for the day but be kind & buy 2 packs of Bunnings compost panels, join them up with plastic garden ties & make a nice big pen. Only cost about $25 a pack.

You can find these in the garden section. They are metal panels about 3 foot x 4 in a pack of 4.

Put food & water & a warm bed in there & some paper, fake grass or puppy training pads at the end, close to the bed but away from food & water.

Leaving a tiny pup outside alone is a big risk, theft, snakes, prey, accidents & if another dog or even a feral cat got in you will come home to a dead puppy.

Another alternative is a safe & puppy proof room where puppy can't jump up on furniture, get electrical cords etc. Kitchen, laundry & bathroom are usually tiny breed safe.

Young animals need to move, run etc to make their bones & muscles strong & they can't do that confined in tiny spaces.

I breed toy poodles, don't let then go to new homes until 10 to 12 weeks & never confine them in this way however due to their small size a large pen until they grow & get sturdier & learn about feet is a good thing to have when you can't watch them or have younger children or their friends over.

Edited by Christina

Thanks everyone for their input. You have decided to leave Benji in the courtyard. We move his crate (door open) under the awning and as long as we are not inside the house he plays outside on his own and then go to the crate and sleeps. we have left him toys, water and food. For some reason he enjoys playing with the fallen tree leaves rather than his toys. If we are home he sooks to go inside. He has been going the toilet spot every time we take him out and wait with him. when he is on his own he does it sometime on the pavers.

I think he will be OK today as he has been left outside every day since Tuesday while the we take and pick the kids from school and when my wife go to shops.

Edited by htmfdq