Undescended Testes

jackofhearts

Hi, I am the proud owner of a gorgeous Aussie boy who has just turned 4 months old. I am concerned as I cannot feel either testicle and he is quite a big boy weighing in over 11 kgs. When should I be concerned about this as I bought him to show. I have spoken to his breeder already who stated that they were both there at 8 weeks of age.I have had since he was 9 weeks old and I could not feel them at that time.How long should I wait before it is unlikely that they will come down. Cheers Sharon

Edited by jackofhearts

Hi, My vet checked in recently and could not locate them but felt that they may still come down but that was three weeks ago. I will take him to our repo expert and get her opinion. I am just about to have him DNA tested for any health issues related to his breed but think that I will hold off. Cheers Sharon

General rule of thumb - they should be down by 16 weeks, if not then your chances significantly decrease. (really they should be down or at least felt by 8 weeks) however I have heard them drop as late as 9 months.

If I bought him to show, then I would definitely be concerned by now and be taking this up with the breeder. I would hold off on the DNA tests etc until you know about the testes.. If they do not drop everything else is a moot point.

Edited by Mystiqview

Hi, I am the proud owner of a gorgeous Aussie boy who has just turned 4 months old. I am concerned as I cannot feel either testicle and he is quite a big boy weighing in over 11 kgs. When should I be concerned about this as I bought him to show. I have spoken to his breeder already who stated that they were both there at 8 weeks of age.I have had since he was 9 weeks old and I could not feel them at that time.How long should I wait before it is unlikely that they will come down. Cheers Sharon

Overweight can be related to slow descent of testes, is he big or fat?

Sometimes they can be down then retract and not come down again. I know of a litter with two males at the 6 week vet check confirmed one puppy had testicles fully descended and the other only had one. Taken back at 8 weeks to check again, for some reason the breeder took both males and the puppy who had been fine now had no testicles down and his brother still had one and that is how they stayed.

So the breeder of this Aussie may have been correct in stating the testicles were down but I still think they should take the puppy back and refund given that they went back up and stayed there. I would not be waiting any longer. I have only ever heard of three dogs were the testicles did descend later but I would still never breed from a dog who does not have them down by 8 weeks.

They can be on the smaller side to begin with, think MnM size and sometimes they can be monsters and hold them close when you try to feel for them.

In regards to him being overweight or not I would be going on what a fellow breeder thinks after going over him and not a vet as IMO most vets deal with dogs on the more portly side and seem to prefer fatter dogs.

If it's any help my boy who was born in Feb 2013 is just over 20inches and is 19.5kg but you can feel his ribs without have to poke for them!

That is why I always tell my puppy buyers to have their puppy vet checked within 3 days of purchase.

But saying that I would always hold back a male show puppy to be sure that the testicles are where they should be and remain there.

Sorry but I don't think that they will come down now.

Breeder should take him back and refund full purchase price.

Not really relevant to the OP, but this situation can be avoided.

Where I live (Florida) it is state law that pups need to be vet checked before they can be sold (includes parasite check, temp, ears, and minor physical + they get first jabs and worming). The vet check requires observation of the testes for boys. You can sell a boy with undescended testicles at 8 weeks, but it must be noted by the vet.

I think that's a good policy.

• 2 weeks later...