Heeling Question.

icedmice

Question:

Does it matter which foot you halt on?

Is there a right and wrong foot? Why?

I was instructing a class tonight and corrected by the chief training instructor. I just want to make sure I give the correct information. I've actually found resources that contrast that opinion and have trained my own dogs the way I instructed.

I've made a point of researching, I have no problem instructing a particular way if it helps people that want to take training to a trail level.

BTW: Both dogs (and handlers) that went for graduation tonight from my intermediate class after me pointing out footwork and posture, which was a bit sloppy, graduated :) !

I'm a proud mamma hen :) . They can start earning titles and learning more advanced stuff now :D.

I was taught and teach leave off with left foot to heel and right foot for stay.

If not using any voice commands the que is left foot stimulates dog to move off with you right foot they stay put.

I was always taught this too, and for stopping, I've been told, i "stop" on my right foot, and bring my left up, in a half step, to the halt... this gives you time? to signal the dog what you are about to ask for. (ie drop, stand etc) I was also told recently, that my hand signal should not be any further forward than my right knee...

we train the dog to stay by our left leg...

Yep - agree with these. The stop on the right foot, bring the left up, also gives you time to give nice signals for drop and stand, so that the dog will end up in nice position - able to stay by left leg and stay parallel.

And well done on your graduated students :D ,

I have never been to a formal class so I didn't know there was a "right" order your feet had to go :o I did know they had to be parallel though which is a start I hope :laugh:

So I will have to put that in the memory bank. Thinking about it , I naturally do draw to a stop on my right foot as it just feels more comfortable.

For years and years it's been drummed into people to use the left foot for heel and the right foot for stays etc but really who cares as long as it's consistently the same for your dog. Realistically if you're dog is looking up at you and giving nice focus then it won't care what the heck your feet are doing anyway!

LOL, I meant at the other end of a heel. When you come to a stop, is there a right and wrong foot to stop on?

The reason you use your left for to go into a heel is because your dog is heeling to your left leg. It's for that reason I said to stop on your left foot.

But even if you stop on your right you still bring your left foot up anyway.

Obedience .... the sport for those with OCD!

There is nothing in the rules to dictate what you can and can't do with your feet/hands etc. The only thing to be mindful of is that any signal or movement which is overexaggerated or seems excessive (like maybe taking a big step before stopping) can be considered a double command or additional signal which will lose you points.

It is to do with the position of the dog when you have come to a stop. More so with a drop or stand than a sit. Stopping on the right leg and giving the signal helps the dog stay in position. Stop on the left leg and the dog needs to do straight down or it will be slightly infront of position.

IMO stopping on the right and bringing the left up is done for the same reason as stepping off on the left. That is the leg closest to your dog and theoretically it is easier for them to recognise the signal on that side. It's a more obvious signal that you're about to stop.

For years and years it's been drummed into people to use the left foot for heel and the right foot for stays etc but really who cares as long as it's consistently the same for your dog. Realistically if you're dog is looking up at you and giving nice focus then it won't care what the heck your feet are doing anyway!

This is what I was taught back in the day of traditional training. It wasn't until 2000 that we went to a Dunbar seminar & saw dogs heeling/looking up at their handlers. My head instructor was aghast saying that the dogs would get a stiff neck from continually looking up on the same side. The dogs were also wrapped around the handler's left leg which looked as though they were touching the leg, something that wasn't allowed.

We also had drummed into us that turns had to be sharp & not in an arc or sloppy as I've seen in recent trials.

My dogs wraps and trains and heels on both sides - he doesn't get a stiff neck :) Oha dn he doesn't touch my leg, just shy of it.

In England they want to see no light between dog and leg - hence why most trialing dogs have a reasonable degree of coat!

Oh and as for which leg etc. I do step of on the left for moving and the right for stay etc ecercises. While the dog cannot see you feet while looking up which leg you step off on, it does affect the rest of your body language which they can see.

Edited by OSoSwift