Bones For A Puppy Who Inhales Everything?

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Hank my 4 month old golden puppy is VERY enthusiastic about raw bones. A couple of days ago I gave him some lamb flaps (or is it lamb riblets? I'm not to sure on the name of the cut. I asked for lamb flaps and the butcher cut them into 2-3 chunks) which he ate very quickly. Then 5 minutes later he vomited up 2 whole rib bone things :eek: they were still cold when I picked them up with a paper towel!!

I've tried various chicken body parts, he inhaled the chicken necks (stopped giving them to him shortly after the first week), same goes for chicken carcass and wings.... he vomited up big shards of bone after eating chicken frames one night so I stopped giving these too (he's also sensitive to raw chicken anyway as it tends upset his tummy). Brisket bones he does OK with but again, I take them away when they get too small as he tends to gobble them up with little to no chewing.

He did a little better with turkey necks, but they are very hard to find as they sell out quite quickly at my local butchers, same goes for turkey wings.

I always feed the bones frozen but that doesn't seem to slow him down much! He is a total garbage guts.

Any suggestions from people who also own "enthusiastic" eaters?

Whole chicken frames. They have to chew as they are too big to swallow whole. If he doesn't chew them, you might need to teach him how by holding it while he eats for a while and not letting him inhale it.

Roo tails, or sheeps heads.

Edited by minimax

I usually just use some lovely little lamb marrow bones. Nixon goes mad for them, and it takes a while to get through them. they're a good size for a pup too.

It sounds like bigger bones might be better for Hank, given his tendency to gobble things down. If it's a big bone, he'll have to put a lot of effort into chewing, and he shouldn't be able to get any big bits off to choke on - at least, not straight away.

Have you checked your local Woolworths for the turkey necks? Mine has them quite a lot, same with the wings.

With regards to the sensitivity to chicken, do you freeze it first? The reason I ask is if I give my girl Abbey raw chicken without it being frozen first she would get a case of the runs.

Guest hankodie

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :) just out of curiosity - is it actually bad if he swallows large bits of bone? I'm paranoid about intestinal blockages more than choking (though that is a concern too of course). I've read all sorts of things about dogs ingesting bones so I'm a bit confused as to what the facts are (i'm a bit of a raw feeding novice)

minimax excuse the silly question but where would one find sheep heads or roo tails? :o just at a local butcher shop?

Thanks aliwake, Hank loves the marrow bones too, he seems to do fine when he starts out but as soon as it gets big enough to fit in his mouth he just tries to swallow with little to no chewing involved. The only bone he spent ages chewing was a beef hindquarter bone thing from a bag of offcuts I bought from the butcher, but I think someone mentioned on here (forgot who) that weight bearing bones weren't the best thing to give dogs so I haven't given one to him since then.

Guest hankodie

Have you checked your local Woolworths for the turkey necks? Mine has them quite a lot, same with the wings.

With regards to the sensitivity to chicken, do you freeze it first? The reason I ask is if I give my girl Abbey raw chicken without it being frozen first she would get a case of the runs.

I have and no luck! Maybe I'm just not quick enough :laugh:

I did freeze the chicken frames, though maybe I didn't freeze them for long enough? They were only in the freezer for a couple of days before I took them out and gave them to him.

'marrow' bones ARE the weightbearing ones ...any long leg bone is.

pelvis/spine/neck/ribs.... they're the softer / better ones :)

A frozen whole turkey neck (large) should be fine ....also frozen turkey wings.

My dog always used to throw up bits of marrowbone .. so I stopped using them .

Whole Kangaroo tail would be best sourced from a pet food supplier .

Whole chicken frames. They have to chew as they are too big to swallow whole. If he doesn't chew them, you might need to teach him how by holding it while he eats for a while and not letting him inhale it.

Watch the chicken frames, know of two dogs who choked, only one survived...........

Watch the chicken frames, know of two dogs who choked, only one survived...........

Yes, a dog can choke on anything, so can a human.

I have one resource guarding dog, she always swallows anything smaller than a chicken drumstick in case the other dog gets it . Turkey necks she chews because they won't fit down whole. I give her a frozen block of chicken which she chews on also.

If I don't do these things, she easily swallows a kg of meat and then throws it all back up again.

We are having similar issues with OH's pound puppy. Turkey necks seem to work, especially frozen. We feed her out of sight of other dogs in case they make her anxious by watching her eat and she does seem to go a bit slower now, not sure whether it's because she knows she isn't going to miss a feed or because the other dogs can't see her eat.

I can't imagine how they could swallow a chicken frame whole? Especially frozen? We cannot seem to get them at woolies anymore though. We also shoot a lot of rabbits and I just use poultry shears to cut them in half, each half is a meal (we have big dogs). They eat them guts, hair, bones, all included and they seem to take their time with food like that, especially if it is still warm. I guess this might not be an option for you though unless you have hunting buddies or can go shoot them yourself...

Our dogs also get a lot of chicks in eggs that fail to hatch (I hatch a lot of birds) or eggs that fail to develop. When we get roo tags, they get everything except the digestive tract out of the roo but we freeze it first because of tape worms. These portions are usually too large to swallow easily well.

Have you tried freezing chicken parts in water in ice cream containers? or even water bottle (cut top off to get meat in). This seem to work well for OH's dog and the ice melts inside her tummy rather than blocking stuff up.

We have also tied bones to trees with a strong rope so she has to chew bits off and can't just try and eat the whole thing. It helps that it dangles so she has trouble getting a good grip.

ETA: For convenience of feeding and cleaning, we are considering getting or making something like this for feeding her kibble: http://www.brake-fast-store.com/

At the moment we just pour her scoop out on a concrete slab so she has to collect pieces individually, which seems to slow her down marginally

Edited by BlackJaq

Guest hankodie

'marrow' bones ARE the weightbearing ones ...any long leg bone is.

Whoops indeed they are, you can tell I'm not much of a meat eater! :laugh: Here I was thinking they were a completely different body part :o

Check if www.petdeli.com.au delivers frozen turkey necks to your area http://petdeli.com.au/category/108-canine-barf-raw-food-sydney-deliveries-only.aspx

Highly recommended supplier.

Fantastic, thank you!

I have one resource guarding dog, she always swallows anything smaller than a chicken drumstick in case the other dog gets it . Turkey necks she chews because they won't fit down whole. I give her a frozen block of chicken which she chews on also.

We are having similar issues with OH's pound puppy. Turkey necks seem to work, especially frozen. We feed her out of sight of other dogs in case they make her anxious by watching her eat and she does seem to go a bit slower now, not sure whether it's because she knows she isn't going to miss a feed or because the other dogs can't see her eat.

The anxiousness/resource guarding did cross my mind just because of the way he gobbles up his food but he's been very good with me being around his food and handling it (but of course i don't make a habit of it and try to let him eat in peace as much as I can). Our other dog doesn't get bones because she has health issues but whenever I feed him I put her on the other deck with a frozen kong, so she's pretty out of sight. I don't like taking bones away from him at all but at the moment it's a bit of a trial and error so sometimes I have to but the times that I have he has happily let me exchange it for a big piece of cheese or something similar.

BlackJaq it's not so much that he's swallowing the bone whole per say but as soon as he can fit it in his mouth it disappears!

Does anyone know if this is a huge worry in terms of blockages? Seeing him throw up those rib bones freaked me out, I have no idea how he managed to swallow them whole as they were quite large!

Maybe try cutting things like chicken necks into pieces that are ok to swallow and then freeze them in an ice block for chewing pleasure? This way it won't hurt him if he does end up swallowing it

ETA: If you are feeding bones for teeth cleaning purposes, maybe you could try deer antlers?

Edited by BlackJaq

Guest hankodie

Maybe try cutting things like chicken necks into pieces that are ok to swallow and then freeze them in an ice block for chewing pleasure? This way it won't hurt him if he does end up swallowing it

ETA: If you are feeding bones for teeth cleaning purposes, maybe you could try deer antlers?

the ice blocks are a good idea blackjaq thank you.

I'm feeding bones to supplement his diet as per the instructions given by the breeder. She did caution that goldens like to inhale their food but I didn't know just how bad it was until we brought him home! She just specified that they should be raw meaty bones.

Deer antlers aren't too much of a hit with him unfortunately, he just chews them for a little bit and wanders off. My frenchie loves them though :)

Edited by hankodie

Thanks for the tips! Either Coles and Woolies sell out of their turkey really fast where I am or I'm not looking hard enough

Look in the freezer section of Coles. I dont know about Woolies, there's none near where I live.

One frozen turkey maryland from Coles costs about $7.50 but it weighs over 2kg. It's like a leg of lamb in size.

Edited by Kirislin