Raspy Sounding Bark

Almost instantly, Kirah has developed a deeper, huskier and more raspy bark so I've been worried about things like paralysis tick and kennel cough. Although I've not ruled out the tick (I haven't found one when looking), her funny bark came on suddenly at the park two days ago and as her behaviour is otherwise normal, I'm thinking chances of a tick more unlikely. She did go swimming in the creek at the park and came up coughing and spluttering and since then, that's when I've noticed her bark changed. Is it possible for a dog to just get a sore throat and if so, is there something I can give her to help it feel better/heal?

I've also been reading up on kennel cough just in case, however, since she isn't coughing (she just has a funny sounding bark) it also doesn't seem likely. Her behaviour and appetite are both unchanged.

Suggestions?

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Keep looking for a tick, ideally have more than one person do a thorough tick search and do it a few times per day. In addition to general signs of tick paralysis, watch out for any signs of a reducing gag reflex such as difficulty swallowing, or coughing after drinking. If there's any doubt, then get a vet check.

More benign causes of a hoarse bark can include very mild upper respiratory infections, laryngitis (often from 'overuse' :laugh:) or other irritation of the vocal cords.

A friend of mine has a little dog who seemed off and had a raspy bark. She feared tick but the vet was adamant it wasnt as its not a tick area. Started treating the dog for meningitis and the nurse, 3 days later, found a tick!

All I can think, is that she had a friend visit from a tick are a week ago and I suspect it somehow traveled on her and then got on to the dog.

I'm definitely still checking her over for ticks -- it's something I'm always worried about. She's on Advantix but I'm still paranoid which I think is a good thing not to get complacent. I have lived in the same area my whole life and have not yet come across one *touches wood*

This morning she's still bouncing around like a crazy loon and no sign she's struggling to drink water. Definitely still have my eye on her though!

I'm definitely still checking her over for ticks -- it's something I'm always worried about. She's on Advantix but I'm still paranoid which I think is a good thing not to get complacent. I have lived in the same area my whole life and have not yet come across one *touches wood*

This morning she's still bouncing around like a crazy loon and no sign she's struggling to drink water. Definitely still have my eye on her though!

Have you checked inside her ears, anus & mouth. Advantix doesn't work in those areas because of the lack of hair.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry, OT. I have a question about ticks...

If you hose your dog down, or immerse them in water, will this drown the ticks?

I live in West Gippsland and I'm worried about them coming here. They are apparently already in Sale (in East Gippsland).

But that's what's confusing me about Kirah. 3 days later there's no signs of anything different except her bark. Being only 6.4 kilos, wouldn't she have other side effects by now too?

I'm just thinking that it seems far too coincidental that her bark was fine until she came up from the creek coughing and spluttering and ever since (immediately after) her bark was different.

:confused:

Edit: now I'm really worried I've missed a tick and she'll get seriously bad. :(

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

I live in West Gippsland and I'm worried about them coming here. They are apparently already in Sale (in East Gippsland).

No, the ticks won't drown, you need to remove them.

Guest Maeby Fünke

No, the ticks won't drown, you need to remove them.

Okay thanks very much. I wasn't sure :)

Just wanted to update you all on Kirah. I had her at the vet on Monday who also said it was unlikely to be a tick, however she checked Kirah over herself again for me to be sure. Nothing found.

She did listen to her throat with a stethoscope and said it definitely sounded raspy so she's prescribed a week's worth of anti inflammatories to see how that goes. The cause might be viral but without sedation and having a thorough look into Kirah's throat it's just a guess. She said to see how we go and if it doesn't seem to be improving then the scope down her throat would be the next best step.

On a completely different note, I asked how she feels/thinks of triennial vaccination and titre testing and she said she's all for it. She explained that they don't push it because sometimes the only way they ever see some dogs is for their vaccinations -- the dog could be ready to drop dead and the owner still wouldn't bring it in. I can understand this, I really do; I'm just happy to be getting my Zeusling titre tested this year! :thumbsup: