Dog Found 18 Months After Being Euthanised

Boronia

Always two sides to a story - Alison's link didn't work but story found;

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/10/02/390070_news.html

Sounds like one or both parties are telling porkies, either now or at the time or both times. Either way, an unsavoury matter.

The journalist behind both versions of the story is the same - seems like the first one was published prematurely and was a bit sensationalist before versions from both sides had been obtained.

Dangerous dog death certificate 'error'

JANE ARMITSTEAD | October 2nd, 2013

THE vicious Townsville dog who was supposed to have been "euthanised" 18 months ago was rehomed by the vet despite its owners wanting her put down for violent and dangerous behaviour.

Greencross Vets managing director Glen Richards said they had launched an internal investigation into Sasha the bull mastiff cross after former owners Leigh Ward and Marianne Wainwright found out the dog was still alive and attacking other animals last week in Alice River, when they thought they had her put to sleep in April last year.

Mr Richards claimed the owners initially approached the vet with an "unwell" pet with a severe infection and said they opted to euthanise the dog because they couldn't afford medical treatment.

He said the dog was then treated by a new owner and later rehomed multiple times but transfer of ownership details were never completed, leaving Ms Wainwright as Sasha's registered owner.

The Deeragun couple said they made the difficult decision to have Sasha put down in April last year after she had killed two of their chickens, mauled their other dog and tried to attack family members. They feared Sasha would hurt their young children.

Mr Richards said the death certificate issued by Greencross confirming the dog had died on April 12, 2012 was "an error".

Mr Richards claimed they found a new home for Sasha with the permission of the Mr Ward and Ms Wainwright.

"Greencross Vets found a new home for the dog, contacted the pet owner ... and both agreed the dog would be re-homed, not euthanised," Mr Richards said.

"At no point did the owner indicate that the pet was aggressive towards other dogs or humans," he said.

But Ms Wainwright said the practice requested her to fill out a statement declaring the dog as vicious for it to be euthanised and was not aware of any agreement to rehome their pet.

"I want to know where all that information disappeared to that I filled out," she said.

"They signed a death certificate ... I can't believe this."

Mr Richards said the clinic were assisting police with investigations.

"The clinic accepts responsibility for not updating the original client file ... which led to a certificate of death being issued in error.

"The clinic also stands by the fact they acted responsibility and were clear with the original pet owners on how the dog was being managed."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why all our animals are PTS via bullet at home unless they pass away during treatment at the vet's.

Personally I would not drop an animal off to be PTS but I understand that some people might do it for various reasons. Some people do not want to upset their pet by being upset themselves and other people do not want to witness death despite being happy to eat cheeseburgers for lunch.

For whatever reason an owner chooses not to be present, if the vet agrees to the procedure, as other people have said, they need to go ahead and do it.

And with the current climate re dangerous dog management, I would have thought putting a dog of questionable temperament down would be better than having the dog potentially contribute to the media witch hunt on dogs after being "saved"...

Edited by BlackJaq

It's surprisingly easy to issue a death certificate in error if communication and quality control is not in place. Say you've booked a dog in for euthanasia at the clinic. It will come up as a code for euthanasia on the appointments board (usually colour coded). Once the client is checked in the system usually processes euthanasia forms and death certificates automatically (some clinics print them straight away, others wait a few days and then send them out). So say the owner's decided to let the vet rehome the dog. Unless the vet went through the system and cancelled the euthanasia appointment and changed to a regular consult (you can't delete normally after checking in) then went into the dog's file and removed all euthanasia related appointment listings (on some systems this can be hard, on others quite easy) then all it takes is for someone who wasn't in the know to come in the next day, see someone's dog had been PTS and send out the death certificate. Communication breakdowns can be quite common in a busy vet hospital and if the vet is telling the truth then they really have to work on that area of their business.

Surely the banking details would reveal the truth? There would be a price difference between just a consultation (in the vet's version of events) and a consultation and euthanasia fee (in the owners version)...

Surely the banking details would reveal the truth? There would be a price difference between just a consultation (in the vet's version of events) and a consultation and euthanasia fee (in the owners version)...

Yup. There needs to be a proper investigation as euthanasia is usually (in most clinics anyway) a set price, deemed on the weight of the animal.

What about the signature on the certificate? Is it common practice for somebody to just sign off on it if they have no clue if it actually happened?

The vet must sign the certificate. I've seen some vets do it before as the owner has to leave and some vets do it after. Normally they never sign a cert until the animal is dead but that doesn't mean everyone does it this way.

Edited by mixeduppup

Is issuing a death certificate normal? I've had 2 pts and never asked for or received one of those. I haven't needed it for council registration records either. I can imagine needing proof that a dangerous dog was pts though but figured a receipt for the service would be enough?

It's not normal for the owner to request one but is usually in the system once a dog is PTS or checked-in for euth. So all you have to do is print it off and sign it if the owner wants it. I know some vet clinics that do it as part of the process but it's not normal in most. I don't know about Greencross procedure.

Edited by mixeduppup

Which brings me back to my question: Is it a legal document?

I'm not sure it is, I've never heard of anyone getting a death certificate for an animal unless it has something wrong with it that's contagious or under a PTS order, then it's a good idea to have proof you did the right thing.

It's not normal for the owner to request one but is usually in the system once a dog is PTS or checked-in for euth. So all you have to do is print it off and sign it if the owner wants it. I know some vet clinics that do it as part of the process but it's not normal in most. I don't know about Greencross procedure.

Thanks you just answered my question. : )

I've had quite a few dogs and cats PTS over the years and never ever been given or offered a death certificate. Most I've ever got is a sympathy card from the vets office.

That's the usual procedure. They do normally have the option of death cert on the system (or something similar like a statement to say the animal was euthed at this place on this day) but no one ever needs one. I've never ever had a patient fill out a form as to why the animal was being PTS either. They normally just sign a consent form have a conversation with the vet and that's it.

Edited by mixeduppup

Guest Wildthing

Having vets not euthanasing an animal is not unheard of, nor is vets doing an unauthorised post mortum on an animal that has been euthanased and left at the practice for disposal.

Vets, like all professionals need to be held accountable for their actions.

Ive watched it on Sunrise as well.

They showed the death certificate and it was dated September 2013.

Small detail but I think perhaps the owner asked for it to be issued after getting a call from the pound?

Also - if you were going to put the dog to sleep, dog you loved as she said - wouldnt you stay with it while it was being put to sleep?

I know of one issued recently so the owner of the dog could apply for registration fees to be refunded, as her dog was just re-registered the day before it was euthanased. Whether it's a "legal" document or not, in my view it has the same importance as a desexing certificate - confirmation from a veterinary professional that an animal has undergone a procedure.