Dog Dragging Bum On Ground

Zoro

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a foster boy who squirted me twice just doing stretches. Once we were on the bed. Blerch. I think the vet said he had weak muscles in that area or something. He was the same boy who vomited up a load of live worms (even though he had been wormed). Both things still make me shudder.

I shouldn't be reading this post while having breakfast :(

And here I am eating a peanut butter sandwich at my desk thinking I must be a real dog person because this isn't grossing me out while eating - except for keisha's story about the poo smeared on the bed laugh.gif

Could be worse, I could be eating a vegemite or nutella sandwich rofl1.gif

He was the same boy who vomited up a load of live worms (even though he had been wormed). Both things still make me shudder.

I've heard of it coming out the rear end, but vomiting them up?! Is that really possible?! I'm going to have nightmares, now :scared:

There's a good article with advice on managing anal glad issues on the Vets All Natural website. One tip was to add whole oats ( husk and all) to their diet. Since we changed to a raw diet (including raw chicken bones) and steel cut oats, our tibbie's anal gland issues is much better. We used to visit the vet monthly to have them expressed but she hasn't needed expressing for many months. No more leaking and that horrible smell!

There's a good article with advice on managing anal glad issues on the Vets All Natural website. One tip was to add whole oats ( husk and all) to their diet. Since we changed to a raw diet (including raw chicken bones) and steel cut oats, our tibbie's anal gland issues is much better.

Thanks for that info.

Guest RosieFT

My fox terrier did this yesterday, so I went out and checked her backside, to find an ant hanging on for dear life with it's nippers almost right inside the folds of skin. YOUCH! She had a little red mark where it had been hanging on!

One of my girls has a litter at the moment and she was outside for a "pitstop". I was about to leave for work and was running late and didnt have much time at all to do the usual things (!!!) When I checked her she was scooting... scooting ... scooting, which is something that my dogs rarely do. I chastised her and told her that it was not a ladylike thing for her to do. I put her back in with her puppies and went to leave for work.

Suddenly I realised that I had left something in the house and went back in to get it.

When I was back inside my house I could smell POO !! This didnt make me happy at all and I went to let my girl out again and to check her pen to see what she had done...... nothing there !! As she turned around I could see "something" hanging from her backside ...... eeewww !! Wasnt too sure what it was, as it looked REALLY strange.... got some gloves and pulled and pulled and pulled, a bit like the scarves coming out of the magician's hat !!! There seemed to be such a lot of it.

It was one of my knee high stockings !! She is a bit of a magpie and she had obviously found this treasure, swallowed it whole and here was the "end" result. It was coming out toe first and the foot bit was full of POO !!!!A POO sausage !!!!!! :eek:

It was sooooo stretchy and seemed to have grown in length by many centimetres !!

Poor thing, I felt a bit sorry for her as it must have been quite uncomfortable for her, hence the scooting.

Lesson..... any scooting/bottom dragging should always be investigated. It's a clear sign of some sort of anal discomfort, particularly if it is not a "usual" habit for the dog.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my girls has a litter at the moment and she was outside for a "pitstop". I was about to leave for work and was running late and didnt have much time at all to do the usual things (!!!) When I checked her she was scooting... scooting ... scooting, which is something that my dogs rarely do. I chastised her and told her that it was not a ladylike thing for her to do. I put her back in with her puppies and went to leave for work. Suddenly I realised that I had left something in the house and went back in to get it. When I was back inside my house I could smell POO !! This didnt make me happy at all and I went to let my girl out again and to check her pen to see what she had done...... nothing there !! As she turned around I could see "something" hanging from her backside ...... eeewww !! Wasnt too sure what it was, as it looked REALLY strange.... got some gloves and pulled and pulled and pulled, a bit like the scarves coming out of the magician's hat !!! There seemed to be such a lot of it. It was one of my knee high stockings !! She is a bit of a magpie and she had obviously found this treasure, swallowed it whole and here was the "end" result. It was coming out toe first and the foot bit was full of POO !!!!A POO sausage !!!!!! :eek: It was sooooo stretchy and seemed to have grown in length by many centimetres !!Poor thing, I felt a bit sorry for her as it must have been quite uncomfortable for her, hence the scooting. Lesson..... any scooting/bottom dragging should always be investigated. It's a clear sign of some sort of anal discomfort, particularly if it is not a "usual" habit for the dog.

oh my lord.

I had similar with my cat but it was a carpet thread that was about a foot long. Poor bugger was spinning in circles trying to get away from it flinging crap everywhere.

And the ant bite... oh dear.

My cats occassionally need doing, they scoot and spend many hours fixated on their bums followed by gagging. I am prepared for the bog of enternal stench if I need to do vinnie.

Then again some dogs just enjoy it :)

Yes, could just be an itch :D :D :D

I agree, when we get an itch we scratch our bums dogs just use the ground :D

I've thought about this with my greyhounds. They don't sit like other dogs do let alone scoot so if they get an itchy bum they just have to cop it I guess :/

Lol. One of my boys also decided to eat one of my knee high stockings but he decided to let it loose at the park one day. There were a lot of curious onlookers that day as I was assisting. :o

How embarrassment, as Effie would say !! And of course no disposable gloves to help... bare hands eeeeeuuww, or did you use a poo bag ???

Personally, if it is just "occasional" I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe it is some anal gland discomfort (commonly that's the case) but it may be righting itself in between times. I would look at diet as this in itself might need a bit of adjustment. I do agree that where there is a problem with bum scooting frequently and it is as a result of anal gland issue, this can be quite painful for the dog and can get to the point where it can't clear itself so it needs a bit of prompting. BUT if I can avoid having the anal gland manually expressed I do as it can become a cyclic issue. I don't believe the anal glands are designed to completely empty and when they are as a result of manual expressing, the anal gland can go into over-drive to reproduce the anal gland secretion. So if it isn't a major or urgent issue for the dog and you can right it naturally with diet adjustment, that's the way I'd go.