Dog Odour

giraffez

Even when freshly clean, the slightest skin irritations can cause quite an odour, as do even minor ear issues. Wire haired dogs tend to have a distinct smell, even when clean. Some bearded dogs & loose skinned dogs can get quite a distinct stinky around the flews (skin fold half way along lower lip) . A few things to look out for for starters.

No, not from ears or feet. Its general body odour. Its not foul smelling,I just find it interesting how the two are different. I guess humans can be the same (ie different people have different odour)

Edited by giraffez

Ours get quite a doggy smell a few days after a bath, the room they sleep in is usually pretty doggy in the morning as well.

Both dogs get oily hair around their ears, no infection issues just kind of like we do if we don't wash our hair enough. And Sarah's fur gets oily on her chest as well.

Haven't figured out a way to prevent it as yet but I have just ordered a Zonk bed which is supposed to stop them from having smelly beds so we'll see how that goes.

Proponents of Prey model Raw feeding are quite adamant that such a diet greatly decreases doggy odours. Having said that it is quite a job keeping a dog like a mini schnauzer's beard clean after each meal. If I had my recently deceased Mini Schnauzer over again I would opt for a food like Ziwipeak - but I guess that with two dogs it would get quite expensive.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I found that after adding essential oils to my Pug's shampoo (lavender, tea tree and rosemary) his body odour went away. His coat still smells faintly of the oils and he had a bath three weeks ago. Also, I use an organic shampoo now.

Proponents of Prey model Raw feeding are quite adamant that such a diet greatly decreases doggy odours. Having said that it is quite a job keeping a dog like a mini schnauzer's beard clean after each meal. If I had my recently deceased Mini Schnauzer over again I would opt for a food like Ziwipeak - but I guess that with two dogs it would get quite expensive.

I use ziwipeak as treats. Even with one dog, these are expensive!! But ziwipeak smells really nice and doesnt go bad quickly so the occasional treat is still good.

I've put them on various premium kibbles like artemis, california natural, taste of the wild, black hawk and odour hasn't changed so me thinks its their natural scent.

Its not bothering me because its not a yucky smell and I don't smell it unless I'm literally sniffing the body or when I'm wrestling them during play - I was curious more than anything when raising this post. My previous dogs have their unique smell as well.

Edited by giraffez

I use ziwipeak as treats. Even with one dog, these are expensive!! But they smell really nice and doesnt go bad quickly so the occasional treat is still good.

I don't think it matters how the food/treat smells before it is fed. I would imagine it would depend on the reaction it could have on the individual recipient. Somefoods may react differently with different dogs.

It could be the food but some dogs do just have a certain scent about them. Hounds are known to have a 'houndy smell' that is distinct from other breeds. Josie certainly has a smell of her own that is slightly different to the kelpie, it's not unpleasant just part of who she is.

Just like people dogs have their own scent. Every dog I've ever groomed has a scent (not necessarily stinky, just a personal odour) and for the most part I actually like the way dogs smell, its comforting to me.

My own dogs have their own scent. The small fluffy doesn't have much of one but he does like to roll in yucky, dead things so he makes up for it. My female Bulldog has the strongest 'natural' odour but it's still not bad, just her. She gets washed once or twice a week (they all do as they live and sleep inside) and within 2 days her smell is back to normal. They all get fed a natural, raw, preservative free diet.